Thursday, September 11, 2003
Ah. Not a bad day at all. I had that tinge of melancholy again this morning for no reason. This is starting to become an unwelcome trend. Maybe it's just my imagination.
September 11th, two years on. How the world has changed, indeed. And yet, how it all seems like we’ve been there, done that, not too long ago. History repeats itself, as they are fond of saying, and I’m fond of the idea that we are living in cycles of events that continually repeat themselves across decades, centuries, across the grand tapestry of time. One day, we’ll look back on the turmoil of this time and it will be like another American Revolution, or Crusades, or Vietnam War, no more than passing mention given to it in history textbooks. One day, we’ll look back on SARs and maybe in that time, all our children will be getting vaccination for SARs, and it will have become another one of those obscure diseases like polio and smallpox have become.
Why does history repeat itself? So that we can experience history on a first-hand basis, and not simply notice it as a footnote in a history textbook, I suppose.
So, I told WM that I've set up a weblog. Why was I telling him so much about it anyway? As if I was really eager for him to find it. I wonder if he will. Oh, well, I suppose I shouldn't underestimate his resourcefulness. It all depends on whether he wants to read this crap hahaha.
Voyeurism. That's how reading someone else's blog is, isn't it? It's inherently dishonourable and deplorable to read someone else's diary, to invade another person's privacy. And yet, it's so uncontrollably exciting, thrilling, a temptation that few people can resist, let alone me. But by taking this sneak peek into the thoughts of someone you know, there is this slight but irrevocable alteration of the relationship between both of you. Friendship becomes so formal and artificial if you have to tread lightly for fear of offending the person. Friendship wasn't meant to be a minefield, ever. It's all about mutual compromise where one tolerates and forgives the trespassing of the other over certain boundaries. Where would the spark of life be if everyone gave in to you and tried their best to make you happy, sacrificing the spontaneity of human relationships and the informality of close ties?
That's one reason I don't bitch to people around me. Sometimes they do things I don't see eye to eye with, and which seriously test the limits of my endurance, but I still take it in my stride, probably with a lot of exasperated noises and eye-rolling. But these things are what make friends exciting, eh? They can drive you up the wall but they can still make you feel all warm and cuddly inside. Especially with EFGH. He's such a dear, although he can be the most irritating of people at times. That's why I always have the impulse to hug him hahahahaha. He's just so kind. Like some cute little muppet or something. Don't know why ABCD was so nasty to him today.
Now that's another thing that got me disgruntled. Sometimes I feel that ABCD is pinpointing EFGH so much to the point of being nasty. It just doesn't seem like good-natured tussling at times. I mean, I sometimes get influenced and try to irritate EFGH too, but mostly I'd like to think I'm quite nice to him, eh? Oh, I don't know. Maybe my perceptions differ from others, and I'm overreacting again, as usual. Just that I suddenly had this urge to protect EFGH today when ABCD was scolding him. What's this with the maternal-protective-instinct thing? Must be related to my episodes of melancholy.
And if you've been wondering, what's with the ABCD and EFGH thing, they're representations of some persons' names, just so that few people, if not no one, will figure out who the frig I'm whining about. HA.
PBL was so dull. I was so spaced out that I volunteered to be a scribe. Haha so devious then I wouldn't have to contribute anything. Please! Obesity? What kind of a PBL is this? It's like, so aimless, ja?
Avaris / 9/11/2003 09:25:00 PM
0 consumed