CONSUMED. by avaris
Some men make fortunes, but not to enjoy them; for, consumed by avarice, they live to make fortunes

[ about ]

"Tout le monde voit, peu de personnes savent observer - All the world sees, but few truly observe"



[ gallery ]

Shoot for the Future

My Flickr Photos



[ links ]

Sinfest
MIMS Online
UpToDate
It's A Zoo Out There
Mr Wang Says So
theonlinecitizen
Yawning Bread



[ friends' blogs ]

13 hours to love
alvin
belinda
CG
cheesie
cover me in ashes
elpis
gfmozart
jack
jiabin
jonnybaby
lvacation
mezza
plhu
raphael
raymond
w33mz
xiuling
xueling



[ archives ]


September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
September 2008
November 2008
January 2009
February 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
September 2010
October 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
November 2011
December 2011
April 2012
June 2012
July 2012
February 2014
June 2014
July 2014
October 2014
December 2014
March 2015
June 2015
October 2015
December 2015
March 2016




[ current read ]

The Emperor of All Maladies
A Biography of Cancer

(Siddharta Mukherjee)




[ current anime ]

---


Wednesday, October 01, 2003

Ah. A new month, to bring new things. To usher in the opening of a new blog page for the new month, let me have some fun by slamming the army, eh?

Sometimes I read what I've written on this weblog and I feel that they are really reflective of my emotional state when I wrote the entries. Take the piece on the LSA people, for example. I suddenly feel that my comments were rather strong and somewhat written with the intention to cause hurt. Looking back, I can believe that I wrote something like that, and yet, if I were to write on the same topic now, the entry would turn out differently. I guess I must have been pretty upset at that time to be so inflammatory, but it really helped me relieve myself of the emotional stress.

To be absolutely honest, many of the entries on this blog have been altered, in other words sanitized, and are toned-down versions of the originals. Why? The blog I set up originally had all the original lambasting and ranting, but after a bit of thought, and considering that it was a little too extreme, not to mention that I had put down the names of certain people quite obviously. Considering that some resourceful friend of mine might actually find this weblog, not that I've been keeping it a secret anyway, I decided to delete the blog and re-post the entries, albeit after some editing and sanitization.

Back to the original subject, with the example of the entry on yours truly being the antithesis of the military. Ok, so maybe I wouldn't be able to express my views on that matter very strongly at this point in time, but I must still re-assert my stand as being very anti-military. I've given the matter much thought, and I must say it's very much like forcing yourself to roll around in mud, swill and goodness knows what filth, to actually have to reflect on my feelings about the army. I really can't stand the military, and I will never in my lifetime be able to agree with the concept of conscription in this country, needless to say the nightmarish idea of extending the time served in this soul-crushing obligation or even the hint of women having to suffer the same fate. Even though I must admit that the need for the conscription system is quite well-justified, I would say that other alternatives are just as effective, and I find it an insurmountable task to proclaim that such a rending service has actually resulted in some form of “perceptible benefit” and “glorious change” in my character for the better. Sanctimonious propaganda.

But perhaps I shouldn't look at the people who serve in the military with tinted glasses, for my vendetta (if I can put it as such) is not with the employees of the organisation, but with the organisation and the insidious ideology that supports its baneful existence. Am I starting to sound sanctimonious now? No matter. I'm not trying to convince anyone or to coerce others to my extreme views, but to purge myself of these inner demons. Some of the poor souls who sign their lives to the military have been fooled, enticed with the offers of material and occupational stability, to sell their souls to this oppressive corporation. They need not necessarily believe in the evils that the military embodies, but are simply working to eke out a living for themselves. No fault can be attributed to these people, for it is only wise to seek out a lifeline where there is none, even if you do not agree with the moral standards of your saviour. It is folly to bite the hand that feeds you when you are starving, simply because you disagree with the means by which the food is obtained.

I have finally started to understand that my wrath must not be directed towards hapless innocents like the LSA people, though I must say that as people and not army regulars quite a few of them are undeniably loathsome. Instead, I detest the concept of a conscriptional military system. Why force ordinary citizens to become warmongering soldiers when some people will do it voluntarily? I loathe this coercion. I detest their righteous justification of their misguided cause, their senseless self-gratifying propagation of militaristic ideals.

Well, I must say I've expended quite a bit of effort composing this tirade, and this is like attaining a higher level of understanding and insight compared to the entry on LSA. Quite satisfying, indeed. I perfectly understand that some people might not understand my vehemence, hence the use of this weblog to let it all out, in a way. I also suppose it's a counterpoint to all the wonderful things the army has been made out to be by the gah-men propaganda mill. To be utterly honest, I would crush the organisation if I had any secure chance to. My life's greatest desire, indeed. Mwahahaha.

Avaris / 10/01/2003 07:33:00 PM

0 consumed