CONSUMED. by avaris
Some men make fortunes, but not to enjoy them; for, consumed by avarice, they live to make fortunes

[ about ]

"Tout le monde voit, peu de personnes savent observer - All the world sees, but few truly observe"



[ gallery ]

Shoot for the Future

My Flickr Photos



[ links ]

Sinfest
MIMS Online
UpToDate
It's A Zoo Out There
Mr Wang Says So
theonlinecitizen
Yawning Bread



[ friends' blogs ]

13 hours to love
alvin
belinda
CG
cheesie
cover me in ashes
elpis
gfmozart
jack
jiabin
jonnybaby
lvacation
mezza
plhu
raphael
raymond
w33mz
xiuling
xueling



[ archives ]


September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
September 2008
November 2008
January 2009
February 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
September 2010
October 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
November 2011
December 2011
April 2012
June 2012
July 2012
February 2014
June 2014
July 2014
October 2014
December 2014
March 2015
June 2015
October 2015
December 2015
March 2016




[ current read ]

The Emperor of All Maladies
A Biography of Cancer

(Siddharta Mukherjee)




[ current anime ]

---


Sunday, October 19, 2003

It seems that almost every other day I get inspired to think about some particular subject, but I rarely have the time to put it all down, and by the time I get down to typing something out, some of the original feelings I had are gone; it's quite difficult delving into something when you are half-hearted about it, ja?

Maybe everyone should have blogs. It's quite interesting reading H's blog. Hopefully it doesn't come to a point where I'm commenting on what H says in his blog on my blog and vice versa - that would be rather outlandish haha.

Oh well. WM's birthday is on Wednesday and I walked around half of Singapore yesterday trying to figure out what to buy for him as a present. Seriously, this nation-round exploration thing is getting to be addictive, especially since I have a concession pass for MRT and bus so I can go anywhere I want for free, in a sense. Anyway, I went to Buona Vista yesterday morning to pass WM the LOTR VCD, which was very very very good (can't believe I fell asleep in the middle of the battle of Helm's Deep the first time I watched it) despite not having PDP (I hope this doesn't evolve into a trend or something - this Dr. Da Costa is not very reliable). After that, I went to CCK library to find some books (I have this thing with the CCK and Bukit Batok libraries - I usually find most of the books I want there). Anyway, to cut a long story short, I met ZF after that at Bishan, had ban mian and then Swensen's at Thomson Plaza. What a large chunk of meaningless text, huh?

The point that I'm coming to, now, is that I finally struck upon an idea - to get a book for WM. I think he hasn't read the latest book by Terry Brooks yet, so I'm going to get that for him once I make sure he hasn't read it. It's called Jarka Ruus, and the reviews on Amazon say it's pretty good, so I hope he likes it. H said it's not worth my time getting a card to go along with the book since WM wouldn't appreciate it. I would have to admit the image of him pulling a crumpled card out of his bag rather amusing, but I don't think he's an insensitive person. Sometimes he can really do things that are very touching. In a way, he's quite gallant, and thoughtful. Sometimes I think of myself as Lord John Grey to him as James Fraser and Em as Claire. Haha. Such insane delusions.

I do realise that for anyone who has read Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series, the last part of the above paragraph will be quite a shock, being scandalous and politically incorrect. Oh well, I didn't set up this blog to be politically correct, you know. Let people get scandalised haha. A little controversy is fun. =) Just don't take things too seriously, ja?

It would seem that quite a few people have found my weblog. I got this cryptic message on ICQ today from YY. Comment taken. Well, ok, maybe I'm being too quick to judge PSch. The entry on him was really a facetious side-note. You would realise, after reading my weblog, that I write a lot of nonsense, most of which I don't really mean when it comes down to it. Just don't be too quick to judge me either, from what you read on this blog.

I was quite intrigued, reading about H's religious experiences on his blog. I thought it was quite an interesting counterpoint to my own "moment of serenity" on Thursday. It set me thinking about my own religious experiences. To be honest, I haven't had any revelations from Buddha (not being blasphemous here or anything - religion is not a joking matter). But I do have quite a few of those "moments" where I feel like I'm one with Nature. I think, in a way, that the divine being I believe in is actually Mother Nature. I'm not sure myself when it started, but I treasure quiet moments as a chance to come closer to the pulsating life force that is Nature. I can be walking along a quiet lane surrounded by trees and suddenly I feel that my sense of sight and hearing are inexplicably enhanced, that I have an increased awareness of the life that surrounds and envelopes me, and I feel so contented, so peaceful, so aware.

It's really amazing. And the more I think about it, the more I realise I have always held Nature in awe without being aware of it. Mother Nature, in my belief, is the architect of the life that populates the Earth, the engineer of the infinitely intricate mechanisms that maintains life, from the macroscopic ecosystem to the microscopic cellular biochemistry. Which would mean, actually, that my religious beliefs are quite unorthodox indeed. Goodness, I'm pagan. Actually, paganism does not refer to demonic worship, despite the negative connotation that has come to be associated with it. It's origin was in the worship of nature, which became an unorthodox following in the eyes of the Church. Nature is such a wonderous entity, but so few learn to appreciate it, much less commune with it. A pity indeed. You who are reading this might not agree (I think few people will) with me, but I'm just writing to share my awe of Nature.

Really, it's no wonder Nature has always been my pet topic in GP. I can go on forever about this.

Avaris / 10/19/2003 06:28:00 PM

0 consumed