CONSUMED. by avaris
Some men make fortunes, but not to enjoy them; for, consumed by avarice, they live to make fortunes

[ about ]

"Tout le monde voit, peu de personnes savent observer - All the world sees, but few truly observe"



[ gallery ]

Shoot for the Future

My Flickr Photos



[ links ]

Sinfest
MIMS Online
UpToDate
It's A Zoo Out There
Mr Wang Says So
theonlinecitizen
Yawning Bread



[ friends' blogs ]

13 hours to love
alvin
belinda
CG
cheesie
cover me in ashes
elpis
gfmozart
jack
jiabin
jonnybaby
lvacation
mezza
plhu
raphael
raymond
w33mz
xiuling
xueling



[ archives ]


September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
September 2008
November 2008
January 2009
February 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
September 2010
October 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
November 2011
December 2011
April 2012
June 2012
July 2012
February 2014
June 2014
July 2014
October 2014
December 2014
March 2015
June 2015
October 2015
December 2015
March 2016




[ current read ]

The Emperor of All Maladies
A Biography of Cancer

(Siddharta Mukherjee)




[ current anime ]

---


Sunday, November 23, 2003

Why are humans such deluded beings? We always disregard the kind advice of others and only start regretting our folly when we crash into the proverbial wall and end up having to pick up the sorry pieces while the world laughs. Asterisk Ampersand Hex. You might start thinking that this is the start of another bitter exclamation against the world, and frankly you wouldn't be wrong.

I should start at the beginning but then again that might be like sprinkling salt on a laceration so I'd better just get to some kind of point. You would think that I would be clever enough not to go around inviting trouble like some overenthusiastic tourism board but no, I have to throw stones at beehives and stand around grinning like some mad fool at the maddened swarms. I really have no right to complain about the toxicaemia now do I? Argh. And argh again. I am a fool. No right I had to take things for granted, to think that others will be nice to me just because I'm nice to them. Was it too much for me to even expect some courtesy? I suppose so, and thus I am greatly chastened by my folly. Frustrated I am. Very. Frustrated. I don't think I've been this frustrated in a long time. I'll need to go and cool off.

~~intermission~~

Okay, now I'm feeling a bit better. (Intriguing. I do feel better after writing that I'm feeling better. How fascinating.) You might be wondering what that was all about. Rest assured it has no relation to any of you reading this blog. Just some domestic problems =). Well, then. Back to other things on the blogfront.

Firstly, many thanks to asphodel and "guess who" (i know who asphodel is, but "guess who" is leaving me guessing. The ah-choo is a good hint though.) for the extremely heartwarming helloes on the chatterbox. I'm sure Chatterbox is very happy too. Aren't you, Chatterbox? ~~Chatterbox nods head vigorously~~ I'll try to do something about the font, though. Do you think enlarging the font will help. I realise the font is a tad tiny, but with all the writing I do the page already stretches beyond ethical limits. Maybe I'll make it a pale purple so it's less glaring. Hope it works.

Second, a few notes on the sorry state of public transport that I've been at the receiving end of. Then again there's nothing much I can say except to complain yet again that there were three consecutive 95s that I couldn't get on yesterday. Where do all those people come from, I wonder. The appallingly poor frequency of the 95 bus service, what with it being the only bus service plying the road between NUS and Buona Vista which is used in great popularity (the alternatives being 198 and the NUH shuttle service), is not likely to change even if I send a thousand letters of complaint to SBS Transit, so I shall not flog a dead horse here. 96 is in a far worse state, too. It's time SBS Transit took a long and hard look at the situation, but I suppose it's got its hands full with the death knells of the NEL right now.

CG's entries on vicious cycles strikes something of a cord, and so I am tempted to most humbly give my penny's worth on cyclists in our fine city. I must disagree with the opinion that it is "all very romantic and exciting for those who walk, watching a pack of cyclists rumble down cobbled lanes". On the contrary, I only find it very romantic and exciting when I'm walking in east coast park and the cyclists are rumbling down the bicycle path while I'm on the pedestrian counterpart. I don't know what the situation is there, but I certainly can't stand cyclists on pedestrian walkways.

For one things, pedestrian walkways are for pedestrians to walk on. Why else do you think they are called pedestrian walkways? They certainly aren't called cyclist pedalways. So you can imagine why I take umbrage at the most nerve-wracking usurpation of the walkways by the growing population of cyclists. Granted, there are as yet few cyclists here, so the situation isn't quite so bad, but the occasional encounter with the typical local on a bicycle is indescribably frustrating.

Locals being locals, everyone thinks the world revolves around one person. Themselves. When they drive, the road belongs to them. When they walk, the pedestrian walkway belongs to them. So where does that leave cyclists? Cyclists own everything. Despite the flimsy nature of the mode of transport they utilise, cyclists, depending on where they cycle, think that the pedestrian walkways and roads all belong to them. If they were cartoons drawn by an artist with poor grammar, their thought bubbles would read "All your roads and paths are belong to us!" And that is the problem.

It never fails to aggravate me when I'm peacefully strolling along a pedestrian walkway, talking to some friends, and I hear that irritating "blling-blling" that heralds the ominous approach of a bicycle. Then everyone will have to perform some complex orchestration of movements so that all of us shift to the same side of the path to let the happy cyclist pass. We continue walking, and but a few moments later, we hear another "blling-blling". It's like in those period dramas when the eunuchs and palace maids, by some miraculous prescience, leap out of the way of their enraged monarch or mother or concubine thereof and in one graceful pirrouette manage to flap their voluminous sleeves and prostrate themselves on the ground wherever they are without soiling their creaseless robes and give appropriate blessings to the longevity of the object of their reverent adolation as that same object stalks by. Well I'm certainly not as graceful or flawless or adept at multitasking, and that cyclist is no royalty. It is simply due to the fact that flesh is not impervious to a construct of metal pipes and rubber that we pedestrians are forced to give way to a bicycle, and we are certainly not going to happily humble ourselves, us being the typical locals that we are. I can't tell you how many times I've been tempted to shoot an elbow out as the cyclist speeds by, oblivious to the cold looks shot in his or her direction.

I can't even begin to tell you what I think of cyclists who do not install bells on their bicycles. You might as well be smoking while driving an oil tanker, for all the menace you're posing to yourself and society. I mean, if you can't bother to put a bell on your bicycle, you can jolly well stop and ask politely to be excused before I let you pass. Why do pedestrians like us have to keep glancing over our shoulders as we walk and leap off the path reflexively when someone shouts "Bicycle!", like we're doing something illegal, such as walking in the middle of the road?

And do I even need to start on the menace cyclists pose to themselves and others when they cycle on the road? Especially to buses and taxis, which need to stop along the road periodically.

I suppose the best solution is to have paths specially designated to cyclists, but that is hardly going to manifest itself magically over a few years. What with the rapidly increasing numbers of people taking to cycling as a means of transport, though, it would appear to be the solution that will make everyone happy, rather than having cyclists encroach into our roads and pedestrian walkways like some neoplasm. Otherwise, the only way everyone is going to enjoy cycling is if it is kept within the confines of our beautiful parks.

Avaris / 11/23/2003 09:28:00 PM

0 consumed