CONSUMED. by avaris
Some men make fortunes, but not to enjoy them; for, consumed by avarice, they live to make fortunes

[ about ]

"Tout le monde voit, peu de personnes savent observer - All the world sees, but few truly observe"



[ gallery ]

Shoot for the Future

My Flickr Photos



[ links ]

Sinfest
MIMS Online
UpToDate
It's A Zoo Out There
Mr Wang Says So
theonlinecitizen
Yawning Bread



[ friends' blogs ]

13 hours to love
alvin
belinda
CG
cheesie
cover me in ashes
elpis
gfmozart
jack
jiabin
jonnybaby
lvacation
mezza
plhu
raphael
raymond
w33mz
xiuling
xueling



[ archives ]


September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
September 2008
November 2008
January 2009
February 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
September 2010
October 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
November 2011
December 2011
April 2012
June 2012
July 2012
February 2014
June 2014
July 2014
October 2014
December 2014
March 2015
June 2015
October 2015
December 2015
March 2016




[ current read ]

The Emperor of All Maladies
A Biography of Cancer

(Siddharta Mukherjee)




[ current anime ]

---


Wednesday, December 10, 2003

It appears that entries in my blog are starting to dwindle (or more honestly have dwindled) in recent days. I suppose the only plausible reason I can give is the dwindling of inspiration, rather than list some inane excuses like not having enough time or being unceremoniously deprived of my connection to the world due to some overdue bills. Inspiration (not the action of bringing air into the lungs due to the generation of negative pressure within the thoracic cavity) seems to be in short supply these days, falling to a nadir of boredom after that (might I say) impressive tirade on hazard-posing cyclists.

Then again, I really shouldn't blame inspiration for not deigning to impose itself on my thought processes. On the contrary, I should blame myself for not inviting any inspirational thoughts. After all, if I shut myself at home I can hardly be hit by sudden inspiration on more interesting subjects than the quality of toilet paper and poor television scheduling, no?

So I really should get out more. Which is why I'm considering whether to make myself available for either or both of my 2 tutorial group outings, which are sojourns to this pub called Embargo and to Sentosa for presumably beach volleyball. I know there will probably be members of my tutorial group out there reading this, but I will be unabashed in saying that I'm really not very keen on these outings. Why can't we do some decent boring activities like eating? Going to a pub is akin to pouring buckets of red paint on my already poor state of accounts, while playing beach volleyball is to me as foreign a skill as trying to move my coccygeal bones. The thing I want to make clear here is that I'm not being anti-social (refer to my psychoanalysis test and you'll find that I'm have low antisocial tendencies) but I'm simply being pragmatic. I'm not sure that treating my money like Monopoly currency will actually do wonders for my social relations with the people in my tutorial groups. I would rather spend the money on charity or other worthwile causes like LOTR, thank you very much. So there. I presume I've actually made up my mind already. So if anyone out there reading this is from my tutorial group, please organise a simple lunch or dinner at an affordable place and I would very gladly attend.

That wasn't very nice, was it? Oh, bother.

Since I don't have any remarkable commentaries on social issues tucked up my sleeve, maybe I shall look at the evolution of my blog from the day it was started. After all, it was the 3 month anniversary of my blog yesterday (not that it's something worth celebrating) and sometimes it's nice to look back at things and see how they've changed.

I still remember the day I set up my blog. I was truly feeling frustrated and needed dearly a vent to release some of those terrible feelings that were building up. It's quite amazing how a bad day can lead to the birth of the blog that you see today. But seriously, those first few entries of mine were really caustic and unforgiving in their lashings of many people, but of course I was only too happy to write them as they helped to disspate some of my disgruntled thoughts. They were so bad that a few weeks after I posted them I was quite appalled looking through the weblog and I re-posted them with most of the terrible content with regrettably some loss of content. Then again, there are some entries the vehemence of which I never felt sorry for, as I felt quite strongly for some of the points that I expressed in them, and I really don't mind being a little rude sometimes. After all, we can't all be paragons of virtue.

Of course, I can't be frustrated all the time, or I would seriously be on the road to insanity, so what started as a vent for frustration evolved to become a "Speaker's Corner" of sorts, where I could write down some of my thoughts on various aspects of life that I could never talk about to someone else as they need time to develop, time which my dismally slow typing amply provided. Within the musings were some journal-like entries relating daily events, which most people post on their blogs. I felt, though, that simply dictating your daily routine seemed too mundane, especially if the people who read your blog are your close friends and you do almost everything together. Thus, I only posted the more notable events, those which I actually wished to comment on.

I realised, however, that after a time I became more conscious of my so-called audience, as I realised more and more people were reading my blog. And that affected the spontaneity of my entries, as I felt I had to write things that would entertain the people who were reading my blog, things that they would find interesting. Therein lies the delicate balance, or perhaps imbalance. Simply put, the insidious exhibitionist part of me secretly hopes that someone out there is reading my blog, though my more rational and puritan self asserts that whether or not my blog is being read is of no importance, as the purpose of this blog is for me to actually voice thoughts that I would normally not put words to. Eventually, this idealistic hope for a blog buckled to the realistic consideration of appearance. I felt that I had to pitch my entries to an audience and make them more palatable, and up till today I'm still not sure whether such a change is necessarily a good thing.

I feel, also, that I really should thank CG profusely for his immense contribution to this blog, albeit indirectly. His blog was what inspired me to set up one of my own, and many of his blog entries actually inspired me to post some of my own thoughts on the same issue. I feel quite sorry for getting so much of your help in such a manner, CG, and I do hope you won't mind. Thank you very much, though. If not for you this blog really won't be what it is today.

Well. I hope I didn't bore you to death or something. I found it quite difficult to write about a list of events in a coherent manner, and I'm not sure how you'll find it, but I do hope it's okay. Hopefully I can find some inspiration soon.

Avaris / 12/10/2003 03:38:00 PM

0 consumed