CONSUMED. by avaris
Some men make fortunes, but not to enjoy them; for, consumed by avarice, they live to make fortunes

[ about ]

"Tout le monde voit, peu de personnes savent observer - All the world sees, but few truly observe"



[ gallery ]

Shoot for the Future

My Flickr Photos



[ links ]

Sinfest
MIMS Online
UpToDate
It's A Zoo Out There
Mr Wang Says So
theonlinecitizen
Yawning Bread



[ friends' blogs ]

13 hours to love
alvin
belinda
CG
cheesie
cover me in ashes
elpis
gfmozart
jack
jiabin
jonnybaby
lvacation
mezza
plhu
raphael
raymond
w33mz
xiuling
xueling



[ archives ]


September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
September 2008
November 2008
January 2009
February 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
September 2010
October 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
November 2011
December 2011
April 2012
June 2012
July 2012
February 2014
June 2014
July 2014
October 2014
December 2014
March 2015
June 2015
October 2015
December 2015
March 2016




[ current read ]

The Emperor of All Maladies
A Biography of Cancer

(Siddharta Mukherjee)




[ current anime ]

---


Thursday, December 11, 2003

What a miserable day. I went out with my parents to Orchard Road and ended up feeling terrible. One thing I can tell you is that you should not go shopping if you're bankrupt. Being unable to buy all the things you really want can only be described as abject suffering. Oh well, I suppose the thing is they are just things that I want, and not need, so buying is not really that important, but it kind of takes the fun out of shopping. I hope my parents caught some of the hints I was dropping and buy something for me for Christmas... but I'll be happy with any present even if it isn't my "dream present". After all, it is Christmas.

~~sidetrack~~
Have I told you that I think Love Actually is a wonderful movie? It is, it is! Well, now I'm telling you, am I not? I think the soundtrack is splendid, too, so I went out and bought it. That contributed in part to my financial distress, but the soundtrack is indeed well worth the money. I love those slow songs that you can listen to on a rainy day with a hot cup of tea (any kind, though I prefer Earl Grey) and get misty-eyed reflecting on life and love. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your point of view), I really haven't had much experience with love, and I do think it would have been nice to watch the movie with your loved one.

I think what really touched a chord somewhere within me was that really really tear-inducing scene of Emma Thompson crying in her bedroom. And when she has to be strong in front of her children when she's breaking up inside. So sad. And with Joni Mitchell playing in the background too (I have decided that Joni Mitchell's Both Sides Now is the most tear-inducing track in the OST; I love it). And I wonder, where do they go from there? Can she find it within herself to forgive her husband? Is it impossible that things will return to how they were before? And will she do it because she still loves him or because of their children?

These questions are still plaguing me. I did consider asking my mother, but that would most probably be rather inappropriate, no? I don't think I would understand either.
~~end~~

Well anyway, as I was saying before that uninvited sidetrack (sometimes you just can't control the flow of thoughts...), it was a most miserable day indeed. Of course, I got paid a visit by that unwelcome entity called Melancholy, in one of those inexplicable monthly episodes. Bah.

I realised, though, that these episodes are particularly conducive for deep reflection, because I feel more detached from the world, more impassionate. And it is then that I think about issues in a coldly logical manner, without interference from my more emotional self. The strangely mutualistic thing about melancholy and reflection is that while melancholy aids reflection, after some serious thinking the melancholy dissipates. Which is why I don't usually try to suppress my melancholy by thinking happy thoughts (not that that works anyway) as that usually backfires and the melancholy returns stronger than ever. So I follow the current instead of fighting it. I deepen myself in broody feelings and cease to see the happiness in life. I envelop myself in darkness like a mantle of shadow and I let everything play itself out in my mind. Interestingly, that provides more than enough fodder for my weblog. The downside (there is always a downside, isn't there) is that people get kind of disturbed to see me in such a black mood. I suppose that really can't be helped.

I like to think that these dark periods are a compensatory mechanism as a result of some emotional imbalance, and so they are not bad entities, that have to be suppressed. Rather, I feel that one should let them expend themselves, to right the imbalance. It's very similar to what I feel towards some kinds of sickness. Like diarrhoea. If you have diarrhoea, it means that your gut is being irritated, and it is trying to get rid of that irritation. Thus, within safe limits, one should allow the diarrhoea to continue instead of trying to curb it, in order to purge the irritant, after which one will naturally be fine. Of course, the key here is that such a concept holds within safe limits, so one should keep a delicate control over things to make sure they do not get out of hand.

I mean, it's natural that since we sometimes experience episodes of overwhelming joy, we should also experience episodes of unbearable depression, right? So why should we allow ourselves to exult in joy, but seek to close off the sorrow? Why do we shy away from feelings of melancholy, because they are considered dark emotions? I must admit that yes, these moody episodes are not easy to get through, since they make one feel so miserable. But as with most adversity, one can most definitely get through these darker times and emerge none the worse for the wear. One might even gain something from it.

I shall refrain from becoming too preachy and talk about the wonderful lessons one can learn from adversity since honestly I really can't be bothered with couching misery in glorious terms. I believe that it does no use to escape from one of the many aspects of life, this being a merely less enjoyable aspect, so one should just face up to the problems and solve them. And of course it helps to have your loved ones beside you to help you along the way. =)

Avaris / 12/11/2003 10:06:00 PM

0 consumed