Friday, April 30, 2004
Argh couldn't think of a good heading for this entry. I think I won't have one then.
Such a busy week! I haven't even had time enough to watch the Fruits Basket fansubs that plhu lent me. I'm so sorry, I'll try to return them as soon as I can. Haven't had time to blog, haven't had time to watch any anime fansubs, let alone download them. Where is all my time going to?
Even so, I have had so much fun the past few days it has surpassed the exhilaration and euphoria I felt just after the end of the exams. Perhaps it is just that I have, with much difficulty, freed myself from the numerous problems that have been tormenting me, that every day appears somewhat brighter, every little activity seems somewhat more energising, and every friendship seems somewhat more precious than it all seemed a few weeks ago. I think it is so much better to be totally exhausted and yet be warmed by that tiny ember of happiness nestling in the recesses of your heart, instead of being able to have all the luxuries in the world but be hollow inside.
Abominable cliches aside, let's go on to a short - I hope - summary of the week's many exciting happenings.
Both elpis and w33mz have changed their blog skins, and in both cases for the better I must say. The skins make for easier reading now =). Maybe I should consider performing a blog overhaul as well, but for now I'm pretty happy with the way my blog is, especially the colours. I shall go browse through blogskins.com to look for good skins when I have time. I would appreciate any cries supporting a change in blog skin, which would be very helpful in providing the impetus for a change since I'm experiencing a considerable amount of inertia now, considering all the work that has to be put in fiddling with the html with a new skin.
Wednesday: Went with Hanzo-san, elpis and w33mz to the Robinson's warehouse sale, which means we skipped the afternoon lectures. I cannot help but feel terribly sorry for the lecturer, but there's nothing much I can say. I think warehouse sales are all baked in the same mould, since if you've seen one warehouse sale, you've just about seen them all. Even the prices for the items tend to be pretty consistent throughout the John Little and Robinson's warehouse sales, which isn't surprising, since they are sister companies or whatever-you-call-them. I didn't really intend to buy anything, since after reading elpis and co.'s exciting shopping exploits in JB I am saving my money for a shopping frenzy there. I bought a lavendar-scented shower from the Original Source series, as elpis has written on his blog. I still can't stop thinking about Jamie Fraser's adversion to lavendar (from Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series) everytime I use it, but all in all it's a pretty nice shower gel. And it's purple!
Elpis ended up buying a Tefal Thermospot frying pan, which, though an interesting buy, was not particularly surprising to me as it seemed to be to Hanzo-san and w33mz. I didn't really understand why they were making a big fuss over elpis' purchase, but then again I don't really understand a lot of things. I think frying pans are exciting things to buy, but I kind of have this bias against teflon-coated pans; it must be my mom's constant complaining about the troublesome nature of these "high-tech pans". All in all it was a pretty enjoyable experience to shop with lots of people (well, maybe not lots, but more than 2 people is a good number), although a little boring. Had to go for tuition after reaching home, so thus went another day.
Thursday: After the FRS meeting, I went for what can only be named a mixed-group outing, composed of Stella, Pak Ling, Liying, Jeremy, Elpis, Ivan and me, to the hawker centre at Bukit Timah to have lunch (I sort of dragged Hope and Ivan along since I didn't want to play massive gooseberry, but that is beside the point). After a satisfying lunch (well, for all of us except for Liying, who by some bizarre twist of bad luck found herself staring at a bowl of rubbery and uncooked fish slices in soup), we headed down to Bukit Batok to while away the time, since Stella, Pak Ling and I had MQ training at 4.30 at RJ. So we ended up in E-zone playing arcade games like Daytona and Photo Pro, which I am proud to say we completed (five people searching frantically for differences, no less), and at the end of our stay there were bowled over in laughter over a bicycle-racing game (I don't think I shall reveal too many details). I bought a set of 50 CD-Rs at Popular, only to find out that I can get them a lot cheaper at Sim Lim, but it was all right, I suppose. Great! Now I can burn all my fansubs into CDs and free up my hard drive space.
Today: Met up with Hope and Ivan (I'm a bit tired of using nicknames already since it seems very remote to me, so forgive my use of real names) at Orchard so we can do what everyone else in Medicine is doing and get more vouchers for Starbucks coffees. Not that I drink coffee much, since tea will always be my preferred beverage, but freebies are very attractive. After that we went to Taka so I could shop for presents for my mom, whose birthday is next week. I love the fact that her birthday is always near Mothers' Day so I can kill two birds with one stone. Did I mention that my dad's birthday falls near Fathers' Day? And my birthday falls just one day after Children's Day, and my brother's birthday usually coincides with Youth Day. My family is pretty weird, huh? I didn't manage to find much, though, since I have already given the classic gifts of photo-frame and mug in past years and I have no idea what to get this year. I saw this pillow with the word "Mother" or something like that printed on it at Taka a month or so ago, but it wasn't there today. Either my memory is failing me, or Taka undergoes considerable sale counter changes all the time. I think the latter is true, of course. I'm just giving two alternatives to be silly.
We left Taka after a more or less fruitless search for suitable presents, and headed for Far East, since I wanted to buy a sling bag. I must really thank Ivan and Hope for their infinite patience as I wandered from shop to shop looking at bags and ended up not finding anything I could buy since the bags that were nice had prices that made my jaw drop and gave me momentary exophthalmos. So I'm picky and indecisive. I want a nice bag with a nice colour in just the right size and with a nice cheap price. I should really just do as I suggested and sew a bag myself. Then and only then will I get everything I want heh. So as I said I didn't buy anything after two hours of shopping. Hanzo-san joined us then and also Alvin, and Hope drove us to Aljunied to take a look at the DDP warehouse sale. I ended up buying a T-shirt at $5, which is really quite cheap.
As you can see, I have had a totally packed three days. I don't think I've ever felt so busy, not even during school time. And I'm going out tomorrow, with orionway, to the Robinson's warehouse sale again. Sigh.
That's all for now. I shall post another entry on reading and anime-watching tomorrow.
Avaris / 4/30/2004 11:55:00 PM
0 consumed