Wednesday, April 21, 2004
Moonstruck
One of the many telltale signs that I am becoming mentally retarded:
(Conversation over lunch at Sakae Sushi on 16th April 2004, Friday, on a tutorial group outing)
---blahblahblah----
Andre: I don't like green. Never liked it. I think it's a horrendous colour.
Louis: Hmm ya.
(tries to make some affirmatory noises through his mouthful of Oyako Don)
Andre: Maybe it's because I was in Buckley in RI. Hated it.
Xiuling: Oh I was in Buckle. =)
Louis:
(finishes his mouthful of rice) Oh really? I thought it more likely because of Crescent Moon.
(pregnant pause; look of understanding passes between Louis and Xiuling)
Andre:
(wondering if he heard correctly) Huh? Crescent Moon?
Louis: Yeah.
Andre:
(still thinks he heard the wrong thing) Crescent Moon?
Louis:
(nods head and grunts through another mouthful of rice)
Andre:
(voice reaching rather high range of decibels now) Crescent Moon? No I totally do not understand what you are saying..
Louis: Look, what do you think of first when you think of the colour green?
Andre: I don't know, radioactive slime?
Louis:
(cringes in agony) No...
(whispers something in Chinese)
Andre:
(finally puts moon and star together and is hit by realisation) OOOOH. Crescent Moon.
(feels incredibly stupid)
(Everyone else bowled over in laughter, especially over the radioactive slime comment)
---Fin---
Sigh. That was pretty stupid of me, honestly, but there are times where I can be impossibly dense. To set the record straight, I do not particularly hate green, but it is surely the colour I like the least, especially on clothing, since for some reason I tend to associate it with dentists and fast-food restaurant workers. But I like the natural green of leaves and grass (though not of elephant excreta). And the green of emeralds and peridots.
Green tends very often to be as readily associated with gross bodily productions as with the peaceful calm of nature, don't you think. Just think biliverdin, mucus, phlegm (not really counted since it is essentially the same substance as mucus), and you will have enough to turn away from wearing something totally and iridescently green. Anyway just my humble opinion.
I suppose I'll just have to -green- and bear it, won't I now?
Avaris / 4/21/2004 11:20:00 PM
0 consumed