CONSUMED. by avaris
Some men make fortunes, but not to enjoy them; for, consumed by avarice, they live to make fortunes

[ about ]

"Tout le monde voit, peu de personnes savent observer - All the world sees, but few truly observe"



[ gallery ]

Shoot for the Future

My Flickr Photos



[ links ]

Sinfest
MIMS Online
UpToDate
It's A Zoo Out There
Mr Wang Says So
theonlinecitizen
Yawning Bread



[ friends' blogs ]

13 hours to love
alvin
belinda
CG
cheesie
cover me in ashes
elpis
gfmozart
jack
jiabin
jonnybaby
lvacation
mezza
plhu
raphael
raymond
w33mz
xiuling
xueling



[ archives ]


September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
September 2008
November 2008
January 2009
February 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
September 2010
October 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
November 2011
December 2011
April 2012
June 2012
July 2012
February 2014
June 2014
July 2014
October 2014
December 2014
March 2015
June 2015
October 2015
December 2015
March 2016




[ current read ]

The Emperor of All Maladies
A Biography of Cancer

(Siddharta Mukherjee)




[ current anime ]

---


Sunday, April 18, 2004

One for sorrow, two for joy

I went out on Friday on a tutorial group outing, and it was quite enjoyable. I felt quite guilty since it was the first time I was present at a tutorial group outing, as I was busy with other things during the previous two outings. But it was really delightful this time round. We went to have sushi, then watched Starsky and Hutch, which was funny. I liked the movie more for the music, as there is just something about oldies that makes me feel buoyant somehow. I hope that we will still be in the same tutorial group next year, so I can get to know the people better.

Ah, but good things never last for too long, and this weekend has just been a nightmare for me. Quite a lot of family problems, over various things, and then the shirt I bought at the John Little warehouse sale, which was one of my favourites, got ruined in the wash *sob*, and a good friend of mine did something that hurt me deeply. I guess it never rains but pours, huh? What can I do now to soothe this twisting maelstrom of pain and sorrow, I have no idea. I'm just burying myself in blogging and my books, hoping against hope that things will get better.

Sometime not long ago, a wise person told me this: It is a paradoxical thing, but one will find that it is not so easy to offend a newly-acquainted friend, but to offend someone whom you have known for a long time and has known you for a long time is easier than waving your hand. Simply because new friends tend to be more forgiving of actions that offend them since they know that the other party does not know them all that well yet, but old friends tend to take such minor insults more personally, since they think that the other party should know them better than to do something that they know will offend. (Argh so many theys and thems flying around that it's a nightmare trying to make a point here, but I hope you get it)

Twice I have been insulted to my face by a good friend who should know me better, and the first time, I stepped back in spite of my boiling indignance at such blatant disrespect for what I am. This time, will I be required to acquiesce yet again to you?

You might think that I am over-reacting again to - in your opinion - a perfectly innocent comment, but I can tell you that I have all the right to over-react to anything I wish to. You've told me before that I must tell you if you have done anything wrong, so here I am telling you that you have. Though I must let my more sarcastic self come into power here and say, if you know that what you say can be often hurtful to your friend, why don't you err on the side of caution and keep your thoughts to yourself? It may seem like nothing to you, but to me it hurts deeply. I appreciate your attempt to change some of my more errant concepts, but I am telling you very frankly here that in your good will you have picked the wrong method of going about it.

Ok, enough is enough. I didn't really want to talk about this here, but a wise person told me that if I keep it bottled up all the time, no problems will be solved. In my opinion, this is not going to solve anything either, since I'm going to be strongly resistant to anything you have to offer as explanation or apology. This is not some trial and error game where you get people to jump around on minefields to find the mines and then apologise to the people who get blown up. Who is to blame for the death of the people? The mine planter or the one who orders his subordinates to jump on the mines? It just isn't as simple as you think it is, when you're talking about people's feelings.

At least I still have some friends who are more sensitive to these things, to whom I can tell my troubles to, and for that I am eternally grateful.

One for sorrow, two for joy,
Three for a girl, four for a boy,
Five for silver, six for gold,
Seven for a secret, never to be told.

Avaris / 4/18/2004 12:02:00 PM

0 consumed