CONSUMED. by avaris
Some men make fortunes, but not to enjoy them; for, consumed by avarice, they live to make fortunes

[ about ]

"Tout le monde voit, peu de personnes savent observer - All the world sees, but few truly observe"



[ gallery ]

Shoot for the Future

My Flickr Photos



[ links ]

Sinfest
MIMS Online
UpToDate
It's A Zoo Out There
Mr Wang Says So
theonlinecitizen
Yawning Bread



[ friends' blogs ]

13 hours to love
alvin
belinda
CG
cheesie
cover me in ashes
elpis
gfmozart
jack
jiabin
jonnybaby
lvacation
mezza
plhu
raphael
raymond
w33mz
xiuling
xueling



[ archives ]


September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
September 2008
November 2008
January 2009
February 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
September 2010
October 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
November 2011
December 2011
April 2012
June 2012
July 2012
February 2014
June 2014
July 2014
October 2014
December 2014
March 2015
June 2015
October 2015
December 2015
March 2016




[ current read ]

The Emperor of All Maladies
A Biography of Cancer

(Siddharta Mukherjee)




[ current anime ]

---


Sunday, April 11, 2004

Passionfruit

I am suffering from, how do you call it, a blogger's block. Sounds funny. But seriously, I cannot seem to find something truly satisfying to blog about. Just a few scraps floating around in my brain that cannot be linked together to form a coherent whole. Sometimes I really hate it when I cannot find a definite theme for a blog entry, and it ends up being a mishmash of divergent and incoherent nonsense. Much like hopping from one stone from another over a pond, except worse. More like being teleported from your house to outer space to the deep ocean to a forest to a desert. The purist in me disdains such lack of order and system.

And yet, if I don't blog I would most surely feel out of sorts since by rights, I should be blogging since I now have all the time in the world to do so. I am vexed by these opposing influences on my blogging process.

It is somehow difficult to believe that it is less than a week after the end of the exams. It certainly feels to me like so much time has passed, with all the assorted activities I have been filling my free time with. The chains of habit, as M. Poirot most elegantly put it. "We work to attain an object, and the object gained, we find that what we miss is the daily toil." Holidays can only be fun inasmuch as one fills it with enjoyable activities that one has no chance of partaking in when bogged down by the monotony of one's normal routine. Such irony, to be struck by the simple truth of such a statement when one is enjoying some leisurely reading.

W33mz invited me to go watch The Passion today. From what I heard (or, to be exact, read on elpis' blog), elpis, ivan and em are going too. I wonder how it will be like, watching it for the second time. Most probably will not cry buckets again since I already cried buckets the first time. After all, I did not cry buckets watching Moulin Rouge for the second time. Hmm, but the Land Before Time always makes me teary-eyed (the part where Littlefoot's mother dies). There is just something so emotionally powerful about the link between mother and child that never fails to touch you deeply, no matter who you are, since everyone has a mother. Unlike crying over a tragic love story where one is likely not to be as touched since not everyone has truly experienced that kind of love before. I had better prepare some tissue paper just in case.

Back to The Passion, it was honestly a powerful movie, even to a non-Christian like yours truly. After all, it has certain universal themes that are not limited by religion. I could probably say with great certainty, though, that the movie probably had less of an impact on me for the fact that I am not Christian. Might I just comment, like everyone else has before me, that the violence was, although not horrifying, sufficiently gruesome to make one question its necessity. Then again, who am I to comment when I am in all effect an ignoramus on the subject. I can only sit back and enjoy what is evidently a good movie =).

I realised at some point in my blogging "career" that religion is a subject better not approached on a weblog, since it is likely to incense rather that inspire reflection, with all the different personal opinions of religion that every person possesses. That added to the fact that I tend to be rather irreverent of a hallowed institution such as religion, even my own. My irreverence probably stems from that wicked cynicism I have buried in me ever since an early age, that leads me to poke fun at the pious beliefs of others, especially at the reverent attitude everyone takes towards their religious beliefs. My mother always said that my irreverent comments would incur the wrath of gods and ghosts alike, and to be sure they did. Thankfully, over the years I have learnt to curb my loose tongue and know when to not say things that should not be said.

Each to his own, as I always say. Thank goodness for people that understand this.

Rather interestingly, the day after I watched The Passion, I watched Kill Bill Vol. 1 which I had downloaded from the Internet. Similarly, lots of blood and gore, but the similarities end there. Something that made me shake my head in amusement is the artistic liberty that Quentin Tarantino took on depicting blood in a very un-physiological manner. Indeed, necks that have been divorced of their superior relation i.e. the Head would gush blood much like a showerhead turned upside down gushes water. Very unrealistic, when you wonder if the blood should not be gushing in a pulsatile manner. Oh well, that's artistic license for you. Blood aside, I must say that in general it was quite an entertaining film, though not for the gore, of course. I kind of like films where women kick the behinds of guys. It is oddly liberating for me, and awakes this inner voice in me which whoops and hollers, "You go, girl!" Hmm.

Other silly things that have happened over the past week:
1. I fell off a chair and knocked my coccyx pretty hard. Yes, yes, I concede that the mental image of me falling off a chair is pretty funny because even my mother could not help but laugh too. So go ahead and laugh. Just don't ask me how I fell off the chair. The process is even more embarrassing than the result. A lot of pain ensued but thankfully it was mostly gone two days later.

2. I bought a new facial cleanser on Tuesday (and by Jeeves, does it work well for me!), and I was bothered by the fact that the cleanser smelt extremely familiar but I just could not put my finger on the true identity of the fragrance. The problem perplexed me for several days, but finally I figured it out in the shower on Friday, and in my glee I made a rather loud noise that was the equivalent of Archimedes' "Eureka!" but with my mouth shut since I was still washing my face. My mother thought a cockroach had flown into my mouth or something. What a laugh. The familiar fragrance was in fact the smell of watermelon. Can you believe that?

Sigh. The silly things I end up doing when I have too much time on my hands.

I was reading about cosplay in the Sunday Times this morning and I was wondering how much fun one can get out of dressing up like one's favourite character when one's face and costume does not do much credit to the original (at least for the people who were photographed in the article). It is rather amusing to see the stark difference between the immaculately clean lines of the clothing on anime characters and the somehow limp and sad-looking appearance of real costumes. Okay, blame the perfectionist and purist in me because if I want to do something to celebrate my love for anime, I want it to be a perfect endeavour. Anything less is an injustice to the artistic purity of anime. Which is why I stick to drawing, because at least that I can do at a level approaching my desired perfection.

Argh, I missed Fruits Basket yesterday. Vexed.

I might probably start on a "Things you never knew about me" series of posts soon, although I have only thought of one or two interesting facts. Should be an interesting read, though.

So much for blogger's block, huh?

Avaris / 4/11/2004 02:09:00 PM

0 consumed