CONSUMED. by avaris
Some men make fortunes, but not to enjoy them; for, consumed by avarice, they live to make fortunes

[ about ]

"Tout le monde voit, peu de personnes savent observer - All the world sees, but few truly observe"



[ gallery ]

Shoot for the Future

My Flickr Photos



[ links ]

Sinfest
MIMS Online
UpToDate
It's A Zoo Out There
Mr Wang Says So
theonlinecitizen
Yawning Bread



[ friends' blogs ]

13 hours to love
alvin
belinda
CG
cheesie
cover me in ashes
elpis
gfmozart
jack
jiabin
jonnybaby
lvacation
mezza
plhu
raphael
raymond
w33mz
xiuling
xueling



[ archives ]


September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
September 2008
November 2008
January 2009
February 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
September 2010
October 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
November 2011
December 2011
April 2012
June 2012
July 2012
February 2014
June 2014
July 2014
October 2014
December 2014
March 2015
June 2015
October 2015
December 2015
March 2016




[ current read ]

The Emperor of All Maladies
A Biography of Cancer

(Siddharta Mukherjee)




[ current anime ]

---


Friday, April 23, 2004

Perceptions

Such a cheesy heading. I must apologise for using the name of a new Channel i drama - does it aspire to become the next Masters of the Sea? Oh goodness I can feel the shudders beginning - but I felt that the word was somehow appropriate here, in view of certain things that happened today. So do forgive my lack of original thought, but all will be revealed in due time.

Drawing progress: I finished a picture of a picnic comprising the Elric brothers and their mother, which when I thought was very sweet when I first saw it. I think I should make certain clarifications here in case people have the wrong idea, but most of the time the "drawing" I do tends to be of the copying kind, unless it's the get-blasted-on-the-spot-by-inspiration-and-start-doodling-on-the-back-page-of-textbook kind of drawing like the one I linked to below. Colour drawings I have done for CCS, Gundam Wing and Fullmetal Alchemist are ones that are copied (not traced; I would like to make that distinction as it's important to me. I get terribly insulted by the word "trace" used in the context of "Did you trace this?") from existing art, since I tend not to be good enough to draw characters that are the creation of another artist on the spot and do a good job of it. So for pre-existing anime characters I copy, but for characters borne of my imagination of course I don't heh. Hope that gives you an insight into my so-called "drawing". Anyway, I intend to start on Sandrock tonight, if I can finish this blog entry early.

I spent almost half the day today running about NUS with a few MQ committee members trying to get LTs for MQ. Good news: We got LT 25 which is a nice LT so we don't have to use that dreadful LT26 for the final round. Thank goodness for that kind lady from the Science Dean's Office who relented and let us book it. Bad news: We are still using LT26 for the prelim round. And the LTs cost a bomb so we'll have to cut back on the already very token prize money. Sigh. If only A* gave us more money...

Which brings me to my main point. It's funny how sometimes we all tend to have certain perceptions about certain people, and make judgements on their character before we even know them. I think I am extremely guilty of that. Today, though, one of previously-held perceptions of someone was proven wrong after a very engaging conversation (which startled even me, since I don't normally talk so much to people I just met). And I am very glad, to have one more person I can hopefully call a friend. I suppose speaking what is on your mind all the time can be a good thing, though not all the time, of course. I'm so happy it feels ridiculous. Ok you're lost in the midst of my crypticon again.. Sigh I shall not say more and confuse you further. Suffice it to say I used to dislike someone without even knowing him, but knowing him now I find him a truly likeable person.

I was rather intrigued by a friend's perception of racist comments as being an "RI boy" thing. That's very interesting. I totally agree. I mean, when you come from a school where even the Indians tell us racist jokes, it's hard not to be swept up in the nonsensical fun of it all. I would dare say that all RI students are, if not racist, then at least not resistant to such views. But perhaps racist is harsh word to use. We do not necessarily discriminate excessively against other races, we just have no hesitation in expressing our opinions about certain stereotypes we assign to the other races. It's not entirely a pernicious thing, since a lot of it is really in the form of words and not actions, so we are only making a joke at the expense of others in a metaphorical but not physical fashion.

Anyway, I still remember a time in Sec Two, when my Mathematics teacher Mrs Ho told us that she couldn't teach us anymore because of health reasons and told us that she would be replaced by a new teacher. When we were told that it was going to be an Indian male teacher, my friend and I went "Eeee, Indian!" Somehow Mrs Ho heard me and asked rather loudly, "Andre? Are you racist?" Haha, one of the more interesting memories of my time in RI. Even the teachers in RI are racist! I have heard stories of this Indian teacher who tells jokes about Bangladeshis. "How do you know which wire [in a plug] is live? Hire a truckload of Bangladeshi workers to touch the wires and you'll know." Goodness, that was funny.

My favourite racist joke: Why did the Indian airplane crash? It ran out of coal.

I wonder, though, if students from other secondary schools are not as racist? Do enlighten me on that fact, will you?

Erm sorry why did I get so distracted? I apologise if any of the above was in bad taste. I hope it's not overly bad, but I'm just putting words to something which has been around for a very long time.

A little bit more to go, so bear with me.

I was totally disappointed with the results of American Idol yesterday night. By the way I totally love Barry Manilow - hearing him sing was like basking in a river of ambrosia =). But the bottom three were the three most talented singers in the competition, simply because all three of them were black? That's disgusting. Ok this might sound like a total contradiction of what I just said above in the RI part, but I believe that making silly jokes is one thing, but knowing where to give accolades where they are due is another. Talent should not be eliminated based on race. To think that Jennifer, who I was rooting for, had just reached the peak of her performing capability but was thus cruelly denied the chance to continue was just devastating. Horrendous. I am totally disappointed. What is AMI coming to, with the most talented people being voted off? What is wrong with America? Will they never learn to make the right choices? (I'm starting to sound like Ryan Seacrest forgive me) I hope they vote better next week. Vote off John Stevens! Granted, he's cute but he is just not idol material, I'm sure we all agree. Now if only America can see that blatant fact.

The O.C. is a wonderful show! I'm saying this at the risk that people will roll their eyes at me and say "Grow Up!" as I have done to others, but seriously, the first few episodes have been wonderful. It isn't your typical shallow trashy drama. It actually has competent actors and good themes. Not to mention good music. Anyway if you go to this site and click on the O.C. button on the left you can listen to all the music ever featured on the show. That is just so cool. I fell in love with Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah after it was featured on last week's show. It's not often that I fall in love with the song first and not start listening to it because of the singer, so I think it's a pretty amazing song. It's a very sad song, which is what I love about it, since it's the heartrending notes that moves me deeply. Go listen to it =).

I'm listening to Clay Aiken's Solitaire too. Brilliant song. The lyrics tell a pretty sad story, but it's really the voice the draws me. Clay Aiken has The Voice. Truly.

Looks like my heading wasn't really applicable to the entire entry in a very specific manner, but I suppose if you think of it in a broad manner you could very well say that they involve the perceptions of people in one way or another. Not that the show title actually applies very well to the show anyway haha.

So much for short blog entries haha.

Avaris / 4/23/2004 11:46:00 PM

0 consumed