Tuesday, April 13, 2004
Tome Raiding
FMA 27 is out! Haha making a lot of hoohaa over nothing since I'm still downloading episode 25. But at least there's something for me to make a hoohah over.
FMA is really really good. I am so impossibly touched by it. It is not very often that you find an anime that makes you wonder and reflect about concepts like loss and revenge and elegantly balances the thought-provoking themes with a good amount of action and humour. Especially humour coming from Alex Louis Armstrong. That guy is insanely funny with all the little pink stars. Now I just cannot stop watching one episode after another =).
I realise I am being rather ambitious in my reading plans. Just yesterday I returned two Agatha Christie books and in turn borrowed Books 2 and 3 of Tad Williams' Otherland series. I was rather irritated due to the fact that the online search catalogue at Woodlands Regional Library clearly states that Dragonbone Chair is not on loan but I could not find it anywhere. Nothing gets me more irritated that the feeling of helplessness when you cannot find a book that is supposed to be there, especially when you took a train from Eunos all the way to Woodlands to find it. Of course, I went to Woodlands to meet a friend, and not for the sole purpose of finding one book, but still, you get my point. I have this feeling that that particular book will remain missing for quite a while. A curse on library users who hide library books. May all you evildoers be stricken with intolerable diplopia.
So anyway, back to my overly ambitious reading plans. I have now Books 2 and 3 of Tad Williams' Otherland and Marion Zimmer Bradley's Mists of Avalon waiting while I am languishing at page 136 of a 700-odd pages-long Book 1 of the Otherland series. I have approximately less than 3 weeks to finish reading all those books, which is beginning to look like an impossible task, what with so many outings and downloading and watching FMA and having to write notes for MQ and all. My plodding reading speed does not help much either. Maybe I should not spend so much time blogging.
Hmm. I am definitely in a mood for never-ending torrents of complaints today, since I spewed all the above out in less than ten minutes, when I would normally expend half an hour carefully composing what I write. People who know me will have been at several occasions subjected to such outbursts, when I just go on and on without waiting for any replies. Like a soliloquy, almost.
I went to watch Hidalgo yesterday with orionway. I was not really keen on the movie in the first place since it did not seem very impressive, nor did it gather many rave reviews, but based on the recommendation of a friend, we decided to watch it, rather than Hellboy. Truly a very understated movie indeed, for the storyline was a meaningful one. Not to mention the presence of Viggo Mortensen as an added bonus. =P
Being back at Causeway Point watching a movie reminds me of a time not so long ago when I went there to watch Charlie's Angels 2 with a few friends from MP. It was a fond memory indeed, one of the precious few pleasant memories I actually possess of my time spent in bitter servitude. Sigh.
I am somewhat beginning to understand the virtue of short blog posts, and my obsession with torturing readers with impossibly long entries is almost dead now, so unless I get hit by a sudden sadistic compulsion or a wave of inspiration that leads me to endless pontification, I shall make a conscious effort to shorten my entries, though there is, I must say, still something that rubs me the wrong way about seeing a short entry on my blog.
Keeping in mind my promise, I shall end here for now.
Avaris / 4/13/2004 11:28:00 AM
0 consumed