CONSUMED. by avaris
Some men make fortunes, but not to enjoy them; for, consumed by avarice, they live to make fortunes

[ about ]

"Tout le monde voit, peu de personnes savent observer - All the world sees, but few truly observe"



[ gallery ]

Shoot for the Future

My Flickr Photos



[ links ]

Sinfest
MIMS Online
UpToDate
It's A Zoo Out There
Mr Wang Says So
theonlinecitizen
Yawning Bread



[ friends' blogs ]

13 hours to love
alvin
belinda
CG
cheesie
cover me in ashes
elpis
gfmozart
jack
jiabin
jonnybaby
lvacation
mezza
plhu
raphael
raymond
w33mz
xiuling
xueling



[ archives ]


September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
September 2008
November 2008
January 2009
February 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
September 2010
October 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
November 2011
December 2011
April 2012
June 2012
July 2012
February 2014
June 2014
July 2014
October 2014
December 2014
March 2015
June 2015
October 2015
December 2015
March 2016




[ current read ]

The Emperor of All Maladies
A Biography of Cancer

(Siddharta Mukherjee)




[ current anime ]

---


Sunday, May 02, 2004

A-Musing

I'm rather lost right now. Two poisoned apples are sitting in front of me, and someone is telling me to eat them. Can I tell that person that I don't want to? Of course I can, you say, but things are so much more complicated than that. It seems that my goodwill has been turned around and has pushed me into a difficult position. I shall not try to elaborate any further. Metaphors within metaphors, riddles within riddles; they only serve to confuse, not to enlighten, and my feelings of confusion are not noticeably less even with the outburst.

Poisoned apples makes me think of the poem by William Blake. "I was angry with my friend: I told my wrath, my wrath did end. I was angry with my foe: I told it not, my wrath did grow. And I water'd it in fears, night and morning with my tears; ...," so it goes. I always remember the impact that poem had on me when I first read it at the impressionable age of 13. Such a powerful metaphor that I was in awe of the beauty of the image that was conjured in my brain. Ah, but all this is beside the point. It's true, though, and I have experienced it so many times; when you do not tell your wrath, it just festers, a rot that consumes the fibre of your being. And yet, telling one's wrath is not always as easy as it is made out to be.

As you can see, I was possessed for a moment by my rather annoying propensity for the use of flowery and verbose English, and for that I must apologise, if it has in any way put you off. I am simply frightfully in love with the way verbose speeches sound.

"It hurts to care. It hurts to love." Such powerful words, that they leaped out at me from the pages of Mountain of Black Glass (Book Three of Otherland) and for a moment nothing else existed but those two simple sentences, as said by Martine Desroubins. It is in such moments that I see authors as nothing less than pure geniuses (well, not all authors, but those that make me feel like this). How should I put this; to have a particular emotion or view - that you have been aware of subconsciously but never put words to its existence - encapsulated so magically into gracefully simple words is nothing short of a revelation. Perhaps it is the fault of my shallow view of the world, that I get so excited by simple things like the abovementioned, but that is how I am.

Nothing that I say or write can match the poetic beauty of those eight words, but they have touched me deeply. It hurts.

Speaking of the Otherland, I am getting mightily frustrated with it, since after ploughing through three books and two thousand three hundred pages worth of story I am still pretty much lost. I have no idea what is going on since all the technical blahblah just gives me a headache trying to decipher and Tad Williams has yet to explain anything. He just drops a few tantalising tidbits here and there, like the metaphorical carrot. The poor donkey, meanwhile, is so happy to find these tidbits that he reads them over and over again. The last volume better be something good, or I will smash something.

Episode Twenty-nine of Fullmetal Alchemist seems to be the prelude to a considerable amount of excitement, action and revelations, and I am currently pretty much waiting with bated breath for the next release. --What I am going to write next might be considered a spoiler to some, so for people who hate spoilers, skip this paragraph-- Anyway I seriously don't think it's much of a spoiler, for those who have been watching the show seriously and been using their brains. I feel rather stupid for only realising it now, after Ep twenty-nine, but it just struck me the other day that Homunculus are borne of failed attempts at human alchemy. Which explains why Lust looks like the wife of Scar's brother and Sloth looks like Edward and Alphonse's mother. Interesting. Just how is the million dollar question. And that child too, with Edward's arm and leg. I wonder where he comes from. Which is precisely why I cannot wait for more episodes to watch.

As you might have noticed, I am not exactly a very patient person.

In other news, I have finally laid hands on a new bag, and at a pretty affordable price too. Pretty happy. I got it yesterday at Bugis, being directed there by my younger brother who obtained a bag at an impossibly low price. Of course, like I said in my last blog entry, I was with orionway, and after getting the bag we headed for the Robinson's warehouse sale where he bought over two hundred dollars worth of clothes. It was what he called an "investment", and I agree. My opinion is, though, that one cannot make an investment without the necessary capital in the first place (stating the obvious again, I am). Hmm I realised I do not have a point to make. Anyway, was pretty surprised when he offered to give me a treat, as a celebration for his recent promotion. Of course, I eagerly accepted this (dare I say it) once-in-a-lifetime offer. I had almost forgotten how good the food is at Kenny Rogers'.

I haven't had enough time to properly read up on my FRS topic, and I feel rather abashed, since we are having a group meeting tomorrow. It is the topic I suggested, after all, and I have the rather nasty feelings that I will be expected to direct the progress of our research. Ah, but the worries of one day are more than enough for that day, and it does one no good to worry too much.

Avaris / 5/02/2004 10:07:00 PM

0 consumed