CONSUMED. by avaris
Some men make fortunes, but not to enjoy them; for, consumed by avarice, they live to make fortunes

[ about ]

"Tout le monde voit, peu de personnes savent observer - All the world sees, but few truly observe"



[ gallery ]

Shoot for the Future

My Flickr Photos



[ links ]

Sinfest
MIMS Online
UpToDate
It's A Zoo Out There
Mr Wang Says So
theonlinecitizen
Yawning Bread



[ friends' blogs ]

13 hours to love
alvin
belinda
CG
cheesie
cover me in ashes
elpis
gfmozart
jack
jiabin
jonnybaby
lvacation
mezza
plhu
raphael
raymond
w33mz
xiuling
xueling



[ archives ]


September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
September 2008
November 2008
January 2009
February 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
September 2010
October 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
November 2011
December 2011
April 2012
June 2012
July 2012
February 2014
June 2014
July 2014
October 2014
December 2014
March 2015
June 2015
October 2015
December 2015
March 2016




[ current read ]

The Emperor of All Maladies
A Biography of Cancer

(Siddharta Mukherjee)




[ current anime ]

---


Tuesday, June 08, 2004

THR3E

I'm back, from a comparatively long hiatus from blogging. I was rather depressed after a most disappointing Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, so much so that I could not even bring myself near a sufficient state of mental order to type anything.

And so yes, you now know how I feel about the latest Harry Potter movie. Suffice it to say the amount of summarising was, in my opinion, excessive, since the movie, at 140 minutes, is painfully short and could of course be a lot longer. And the blatant alterations to the original story so numerous that it was entirely scandalous. Appalling. Nauseating. And I have no intention of approaching the terrible ending with anything shorter than a ten-foot pole.

What a bitter laugh this has turned out to be, after all my almost (ok, I suppose you can remove the almost) ridiculous hyperinsane anticipation for the past week. Argh, I should flail myself and die. And now I am starting to sound like GF.

While we are on the same topic, I visited www.jkrowling.com and found it to be a rather enjoyable site to spend some time on, cracking the puzzles that J.K. Rowling has set up at various locations in the site and finding out so much about Harry Potter that I never knew before along the way.

Anyway, regarding the movie, I suppose if I had walked into the theater with that much less anticipation, and not having read the book again just 2 weeks ago, I would have found it a much more enjoyable experience. The higher the expectations, the greater the disappointment.

Anyway, as always, the movie is totally redeemed by its stellar cast. I love Emma Thompson as an actress, and thought she was wonderful as Trelawney, though totally unrecognisable behind the glasses and costume. Which I realise is the point. And Alan Rickman, as Snape, is totally my favourite character in the movie (not the book). Which surprises a lot of people, I ascertain. The reason being Rickman is so good being Snape - who is not at all evil, just terribly flawed - that you love his portrayal. And also probably because I see a lot of Snape's flaws in myself, is why.

Something I found someone using as his/her avatar in a Harry Potter forum. Most amusing.



--------------------

Something I got from plhu's site (again, for which I am terribly apologetic).

What kind of Alchemist are you? by Hagane-no
Your name
Your Alchemist nameIron blood
Your Alchemic elementFire
Your Alchemic mediumAnimals
Created with the ORIGINAL MemeGen!

What kind of Alchemist are you? by Hagane-no
Your name
Your Alchemist nameSewing Life
Your Alchemic elementMaterialization
Your Alchemic mediumAutomail
Created with the ORIGINAL MemeGen!


Animals?? Urgh. And it changes if I add one capital letter? That is highly unexplainable. What is most disturbing is how both entries churn out results that are linked to Tucker. Eeee.

Anyway, plhu, I think you have a new Last Exile convert here too! Haha. I love it. Almost as much as I love FMA.

--------------------

Since I was terribly bored sitting around waiting for animes to finish downloading and all, I tried taking a dip into w33mz' SWMud blog and have a go at the game. I ended up drowning, is all I can say. A game that is so information-intensive is definitely not for me. My compulsive nature makes it mandatory for me to memorise every detail regarding a game before I experience any pleasure playing it, and by the looks of the amount of information on the mud, it is not something I am willing to dedicate my already-sorely-stretched mental faculties for a time filler. Sorry, w33mz. =(

I am becoming more and more compulsive every day. I wonder if it is simply staying at home, or spending too much time at the computer. One weird habit that seems to have popped up of nowhere is that every time I am opening a new site and waiting for it to load, I click on every button in my taskbar to scroll through the various windows that are existent on my desktop. And I also open ICQ to see who is online. I feel this pressing need to always need to check up on my download speed as well. Now, you would probably think such actions are normal, but not when you do them every 5 seconds, and subconsciously, such that you have to exert a considerable amount of conscious control to stop doing it. I found it terribly scary to be going through this repetitive cycle of actions over and over again and finding it difficult to stop.

To stop myself from descending into OCD, I have taken up playing Solitaire and Minesweeper while waiting for sites to load, since while using Bitorrent it takes quite long to load a website. It is probably a sign of my bad luck at games that in 2 out of 3 Minesweeper games at Beginner level, I can hit a mine in three or less random clicks around the gameboard. I now remember why I hated Minesweeper ever since I was exposed to Windows. Ghastly little bugger of a game. Solitaire is not any better, if you play the Vegas version. First thing you realise is how much money you lose, since I can only hit a positive score in 1 out of 10 games or even less. And believe you me, that is probably statistically quite accurate since I did, in a fit of boredom, play approximately 50-odd games back to back. Second thing you think about playing Vegas Solitaire, is who the hell goes to Vegas to play frigging Solitaire? Not me, you can be sure.

More of my compulsions: I have this need to do many things such that they form multiples of three. Such as rinse out my mouth after I brush my teeth with nine mouthfuls of water. And wash my face with eighteen splashes of water, and wash my hair with eighty one scrubs. And for a square sandwich, I have to finish it in nine bites, so I divide it into nine equal squares and take one off with each bite. No I am not joking. Usually I do not go past twenty-seven, except when I am washing my hair, and I usually stay away from six, fifteen and twenty-four, even though they are multiples of three. Of course I have my reasons for that, which I shall not subject you to a lengthy explanation of. You will realise that people who do mad things normally form their own rationalisations for the things they do, which are only rational in their point of view but not in others'.

Personally, the reason for doing everything in multiples of three is because three and nine and twenty seven are my lucky numbers, and I have been possessed of this idea, ever since I was like, ten, that doing everything in multiples of three would bring me good luck. Haha. Anything else, especially having a number that ends with four, will jinx me.

Enough with the mad talk already. I am strange.

Avaris / 6/08/2004 07:17:00 PM

0 consumed