Wednesday, July 21, 2004
Idle Worship
Finally! Episode 39 of FMA has picked up on the rapid pace characteristic of the first 30 episodes, that was somehow lost in the last few episodes in aimless wanderings (well maybe not so aimless, but pretty boring all the same). But of course Episode 37 provided a good laugh. I have given up on waiting on Sonchou to produce fansubs when Spoon can produce them at a much more efficient rate.
I saw this FMA artbook at Kinokuniya the other day, which has a lot of beautiful illustrations but a rather heavy price tag of $31.80. Now, if only there were still that 20% discount offer or if only I had a Kino voucher... I remember the last (and only) time I had a $20 Kino voucher I used it on a Neon Genesis Evangelion artbook. I have this terrible weakness for artbooks but not enough money to spend on them. =(
------------------
Talking with Mom about Singaporean politics is terribly disturbing as well as exciting, because she has the weirdest (which means really bad things) things to say about various aspects of government as well as various ministers. (Of course we were discussing politics due to the announcement of the transfer of prime-ministerial positions)
Some of the things Mom said: (which can be put into a book, I think, but that would be asking for trouble)
"Hah, look at the way he speaks. It's like he's being forced to step down before he wants to. Of course, when the new PM is the son of L-- you don't have a choice." -- about our great PM
"Everyone wants to know whether he will give up his Finance portfolio. I tell you he won't. He and his father want to control all the money..." -- about the successor
"I don't think he's a good minister. He hasn't shown himself to be benevolent and caring of the people's needs in his position in Finance... He never gives way to the concerns of the people." -- about whether the change would be a good thing
"Him? He looks like a pork-seller!" -- about the rumoured new DPM
Ahem, I should not put too many quotes, but there are a lot more. Some of the things Mom says I do not necessarily agree with. And I really would not know too much since I have not been paying too much attention to politics until this year and have absolutely no idea about the relative good and bad points of the ministers. Right now I am simply very entertained by Mom's little bursts of criticism, and I shall wait and see if what she says is true.
----------------
I really should cut down on all these politically incorrect posts. But they are just for fun and amusement anyway. No one is going to take what my mother says seriously anyway. But China, now that is an issue that makes me see red. But I have said all I need to say about that situation and I will not repeat myself.
By the way if anyone is staying at home slacking like me, they are showing my favourite Taiwanese serial again at 10 am on Channel 8. The mediquiz people should know about it heh. The title of the show is Tai Yang Hua or Sunflower, and it has really good actors and actresses. The later part is better than what they are showing now, though (which is the early part of course). Considering, though, that the serial has more than a hundred episodes like every other Taiwanese serial, we will probably miss the later part of the serial. It is really tragic because lots of people die along the way.
Speaking of slacking at home, I was talking to Jon Ng yesterday and finally found someone who agrees with me that holidays should be spent slacking. No offense to opponents of the idea, but I would rather laze around at home than trying to milk every second of my holidays enjoying myself, which is really too much work and too reminiscent of school that I have a pathological fear of it. It really is so tiring to spend every day productively that I would rather spend it in a non-spending kind of way. Which in itself generates not a small amount of pleasure knowing that I am an incorrigibly lazy person. I could also say that I am in the process of recharging my batteries for the stress of school.
Oh enough with the self-justification exercise already. I hate being made to feel guilty about not "enjoying my holidays to the maximum, since this is the last long holiday we will have in a long time". I am happy doing what I am doing. And the perfect song to illustrate my feelings is "Don't Rain on My Parade"! Hahaha.
Happy (what's left of the) holidays!
Avaris / 7/21/2004 09:51:00 AM
0 consumed