Thursday, July 01, 2004
Seriously Funny
Yesterday morning, as I was watching the news reports on the massive blackout that occured on Tuesday night (during which I was blissfully entering dreamland as my estate was unaffected), the reporter happened to interview a resident in one of the affected areas. It was this Indian woman who was saying, "Suddenly the lights went out, and we couldn't see each other." Or something to that effect, since I forget the actual phrasing.
I love news programmes for their inadvertent humour. Because most of us really expect the news to be really serious and objective, sudden instances of humour in news programmes are especially funny.
I remember another time, back in J2, when I was watching Channel i news. Michelle Quah was reporting on this man who allegedly embezzled quite a sum of money from his company. And what she said was, "Well, he won't be spending that money anytime soon, as he has been given a jail term." That was really funny. I cannot keep myself from smiling everytime I think of her dead-serious face as she read out that line.
If only we had more of these gems in news programmes, I would watch more of them instead of stoning in front of the computer.
-----------------
George is back from Europe! Heh, we went out yesterday for some crazy shopping. Well, I didn't do much shopping, but George certainly did. And Kinokuniya was shockingly crowded, because it was the last day for the 20% off promotion. I was standing in the queue behind this guy who bought so many books he had a box to put them in. I think he is a professor or academic of some sort, as he was telling me he needed the books for his research. And the books came up to $600 dollars, which made my jaw drop.
I really shouldn't gossip about other people, but then again who doesn't love a little gossip?
After checking with the Japanese book counter about my book order and finding that the book had not arrived, for some unfathomable reason, I was rather disappointed, and ended up buying the first volume of Monster. I have no idea why. Retail therapy, perhaps. And now I have to decipher medical terms written in Japanese. O_O~~
Have to go buy M2 textbooks soon, before they all get sold out. Everyone else seems to have bought theirs, which to me is a little mindboggling.
School starts in one month!! Argh!
Avaris / 7/01/2004 12:04:00 PM
0 consumed