Saturday, August 21, 2004
Heigh Ho, Heigh Ho
It has somehow come to my attention that many people are curious about my rather bizarre behaviour over the past few days. It all started when my MQ junior gave me a really round (and impossibly adorable) hamster soft toy on Wednesday afternoon when we met up so he could return all the stuff we lent them for MQ. I fell in love with it straight away, and named the cute pink toy Horatio Halliwell the Huge Hungry Hamster (I have a pathological perversion for alarming alliterations, I'm afraid).
The events following this gift were strikingly reminiscent of the anime Paranoia Agent, where a pink soft toy becomes the symbol of ad hoc relief for a nation of stressed Japanese who were reluctant to face their mounting problems. Suffice it to say that I was also facing quite a few problems of my own, resulting in a black pit of depression swallowing me on Tuesday. The gift of such an adorable toy seemed an answer to my prayer, as after a few hugs and cuddles of the eminently huggable furball my mood had gone up exponentially and I was a lot happier and at peace with myself.
I wish I could say I did not run away from my problems, but if I have to say that to convince myself it is probably untrue. I suppose Horatio gave me the support and comfort I needed to pull myself out of a self-destructive spiral of pessimism and come to terms with my worries and insecurities, which I am very thankful for. When all you need is someone to hug and you cannot find anyone, I suppose a soft toy is good enough a surrogate for that provider of comfort and support.
So please do not be too alarmed when you see Horatio sitting in my lap during lectures, for I have not gone off my rocker. Indeed, it is quite the reverse.
P.S. Tun Tan asked after Horatio yesterday when he saw me, commenting that Horatio looks like the cartoon of a mosquito that had hit an artery, which we were shown during an earlier Microbiology lecture. Horatio tells me he is greatly honoured by Tun Tan's words of praise, and would like to wish Tun Tan a glorious UMNO meeting this evening, while expressing sincere apologies that we will not be there in person and hamster to offer congratulations.
----------------------
I am shocked by my powers of prescience. After commenting that Microbiology practicals resemble Potions classes (though I revise my Prof Taylor = Snape theory as Prof Taylor is much funnier indeed), we find this poster in our email:
Oh and from the poster you might notice that Prof Taylor is none other than the one and only, wise and humorous, as well as occasionally anti-Ministry of Magic Dumbledore. How apt! A perfect fit, indeed.
I was however terribly tickled by Head Microbiology Prof Chan Sou Ha's bizzare relegation to the position of Hedwig. He must have a pretty good sense of humour, I think.
Avaris / 8/21/2004 04:37:00 PM
0 consumed