CONSUMED. by avaris
Some men make fortunes, but not to enjoy them; for, consumed by avarice, they live to make fortunes

[ about ]

"Tout le monde voit, peu de personnes savent observer - All the world sees, but few truly observe"



[ gallery ]

Shoot for the Future

My Flickr Photos



[ links ]

Sinfest
MIMS Online
UpToDate
It's A Zoo Out There
Mr Wang Says So
theonlinecitizen
Yawning Bread



[ friends' blogs ]

13 hours to love
alvin
belinda
CG
cheesie
cover me in ashes
elpis
gfmozart
jack
jiabin
jonnybaby
lvacation
mezza
plhu
raphael
raymond
w33mz
xiuling
xueling



[ archives ]


September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
September 2008
November 2008
January 2009
February 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
September 2010
October 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
November 2011
December 2011
April 2012
June 2012
July 2012
February 2014
June 2014
July 2014
October 2014
December 2014
March 2015
June 2015
October 2015
December 2015
March 2016




[ current read ]

The Emperor of All Maladies
A Biography of Cancer

(Siddharta Mukherjee)




[ current anime ]

---


Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Sniff...Sniff...Sniff...ACKK!!

Quite an interesting day today, even though I was pretty tired. I have no idea why but I plod around in the afternoons feeling sleepy but when I go to sleep at night I sleep badly because I have all these strange dreams. Must be some kind of vicious cycle or something. Anyway, Prof Tambyah was very engaging and interesting. And Prof Chia Kee Seng is really really funny in a totally unsubtle kind of way. Normally I might be put off, but I was happy for something to relieve the drudgery of confusing confidence interval stuff.

And there was also much hoohah about something smelly. A friend (who shall not be named) found in his bag a pot of KFC coleslaw that had been left there for quite a long time, apparently not by himself. And due to the amount of time it had spent in the bag, there was some associated odour of food spoilage. Being rather mad about sniffing things, even foul-smelling things (don't ask), I kept trying to smell his bag but could smell nothing, thus I was pretty baffled by his complaints. Oh well I certainly would not want to carry the smell around with me all day, even if I cannot smell it.

Interestingly, the incident reminded me of a similar olfactory incident in RI. The thing was the library had brought in some new books of the fascinating scratch-and-sniff variety. (Haha now I am pretty tickled by the memory of scratch-and-sniff books..) Being in a boy's school, naturally we did not care much for mature behaviour among ourselves and were happily scratching-and-sniffing and making a lot of excited noise about the books. The most fascinating of the series was a book showcasing all kinds of foul smells, as produced by certain plants (Rafflesia ring a bell?) and rotting things.

So after much enthusiastic scratching-and-sniffing of the foul smells book, and accompanied ewwing and screwing of noses at the truly distasteful nature of the smells (now why would anyone want to read the book twice?), I found myself in a most regrettable situation where I had done so much happy scratching the foul odours were all clinging tenaciously to my finger. No amount of washing could completely get rid of the accumulated un-fragrant oils, and I had to put up with the disgusting mix of stenches on my finger for a day or two.

-----------------------

FMA 45 is another stupendously good episode with more questions answered and startling plans revealed, especially regarding Dante - the female villian I hate more than Delphine. And it looks like more will be revealed next week by what Izumi says. But the thing with Hohenheim was pretty irritating. I mean, bring him into the picture, make me believe that he might actually do some good despite all his past actions, have him answer some very important questions, and remove him from the picture? What's with that? Argh and just when I was beginning to like him a little. He's so cool.

You never know though. With all the twists they have in the story, he might just return from beyond and kill Dante or something. But I think the probability of that happening is pretty low. Sigh I'm sad.

-----------------------

Gah I have been using the computer very little these days. As I often complain to others, my brother hogs the computer from the time he comes home to the time he sleeps. And because I have no intention of having another argument with him and getting a few years chopped off my lifespan (I figure I would rather save the lifespan-chopping for unhealthy foods that I at least enjoy, unlike frustrating arguments that go nowhere), I just take the passive stance and try to look for other ways to spend my time.

I was thinking of writing a short story based on the seventh month. No it's not a ghost story. It's about a woman who worries about the loss of tradition from generation to generation as we become a more modernised and practical society. I think the concept is pretty good, but I have doubts about my writing ability. Sigh. If it works out I might post it somewhere here.

Avaris / 8/24/2004 09:17:00 PM

0 consumed