Thursday, August 05, 2004
Those We Shall Not Speak Of
Just got back from watching The Village with Hope and Wee Ming. I have no room to make a corny joke here, since we watched it at Cathay Orchard. Certainly if we had watched it at a Golden (Yellow) Village theatre there would be more fodder for my corniness. But I shall spare you from my lame jokes.
Superb movie, in my opinion. Frankly I thought it was the best movie I watched this year, though most people would probably not agree with this strong feeling I have. After watching so many fantasy-style wars (a la LOTR, Troy) and action films (Spiderman 2), this emotionally and conceptually deep movie was a perfect balm for the raw edge of my senses. I thought it was really supported by some very good actors, so much so that I was possessed by an almost painful empathy for their circumstances. Unlike most other horror movies where you mostly feel your own raw fear, in this case you can feel the fear of the characters emanating from the film.
A great, emotionally charged film by Shyamalan, as usual, with an amusing cameo that would have been easily missed by those who do not know about his penchant for appearing in the films he writes. Unfortunately, the ending was a bit of a letdown, since one feels that more should have been addressed to match the twist at the end, instead of the abrupt ending. All the same, the movie provokes a lot of thought, and you wonder whether more meaning can be unearthed from the symbolisms. The reviews certainly seem to hint at such a depth of meaning, but I am afraid I am really too ignorant.
---------------------
Kinokuniya is having another 20% promotion from the seventh to ninth of August to celebrate their fifth anniversary. My order for the FMA guide has been redone twice, since their suppliers seem to have run out of stock. And I would love to get the FMA artbook, but it costs $31.80 and even after the discount the resulting price is about twenty-five dollars, which is a bit too expensive for me right now. I will just have to wait till the next promotional period.
And although I expected the artbooks to get snapped up like the guides did, there was quite a sizeable stack of books at Kino today, almost as if they are mocking my inability to get a copy. Ach I am frustrated.
--------------------
Some really interesting links from albinoblacksheep I visited today:
First up, the
T-Shirt folding video that was written about in the papers. Apparently they call the technique the Ninja T-shirt-folding technique, it is so amazing. You really have to see it to believe it. It was so clever I watched it a dozen times. And I tried it with my T-shirts too. It works! (Well of course it does. I'm being stupid again.)
And this
parallel parking game. Very difficult, considering I have not taken any driving lessons. But fun for you people who want some practice.
There are lots of interesting videos on albinoblacksheep. Like the Honda and anti-Honda video. But also tonnes of stupid ones. Go watch them if you have the time.
Heh my brother is making a lot of noise since he wants to use the computer, so I suppose I should end here. But I have this sadistic tendency to make him wait and fuel his frustration. =P
Ooh I am so wicked.
Avaris / 8/05/2004 06:57:00 PM
0 consumed