CONSUMED. by avaris
Some men make fortunes, but not to enjoy them; for, consumed by avarice, they live to make fortunes

[ about ]

"Tout le monde voit, peu de personnes savent observer - All the world sees, but few truly observe"



[ gallery ]

Shoot for the Future

My Flickr Photos



[ links ]

Sinfest
MIMS Online
UpToDate
It's A Zoo Out There
Mr Wang Says So
theonlinecitizen
Yawning Bread



[ friends' blogs ]

13 hours to love
alvin
belinda
CG
cheesie
cover me in ashes
elpis
gfmozart
jack
jiabin
jonnybaby
lvacation
mezza
plhu
raphael
raymond
w33mz
xiuling
xueling



[ archives ]


September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
September 2008
November 2008
January 2009
February 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
September 2010
October 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
November 2011
December 2011
April 2012
June 2012
July 2012
February 2014
June 2014
July 2014
October 2014
December 2014
March 2015
June 2015
October 2015
December 2015
March 2016




[ current read ]

The Emperor of All Maladies
A Biography of Cancer

(Siddharta Mukherjee)




[ current anime ]

---


Saturday, August 28, 2004

Warning: Cerebral Core-Text Overload

I went to school to meet my counsellor today and ended up feeling pretty "stressed". I mean, after talking to him I realised I should be doing a lot more reading up than I was currently doing, because when the time comes to study I might not have enough time to read all the things I need to. Not that this kind of stress is a bad thing, since I think what I really need right now is some kind of motivation to not slack around, and I suppose a bit of reading every day will help a lot in the long run. I have decided against getting Papa Robbins since I think it will end up growing cobwebs and silverfish. I like Stevens and Lowe a lot (because it's British mwahaha)! Have to start saving money for M3 stuff, it seems like quite a lot.

Another thing that worries me is the number of people falling sick nowadays. Admittedly the weather is atrocious, fluctuating between furnace and pouring wreck from day to day. No wonder people are falling sick. To all the people who are feeling under the weather, I hope you get well soon.

I suppose it is some unspoken observation that most people have about doctors, that in their medical school days they tend to be excessively paranoid about themselves getting bizzare and rare illnesses they read about in their textbooks, but after a while they overcompensate for this paranoia and end up ignoring the obvious signs and symptoms when they do get ill. Do doctors hate being patients? It would certainly feel strange being on the other side of the doctor's desk, that's for sure.

-------------------

Rather unfortunately, I have become totally addicted to the 7 pm drama on Channel 8, An Ode to Life. (I think Ch 8 shows have abysmal English titles, but that is beside the point) The reason being the drama is very similar to most other Taiwanese dramas that I get addicted to. I know, the storylines are almost always the same with some clever variations here and there, but I still get impossibly captivated. I always love watching how the protagonist surmounts all the schemes his or her detractors put in his or her way and ends up being successful. So exciting!

And with a cast of mostly old-generation actors and actresses now (like Huang Biren, Yang Libing, Sean Say, Liu Qianyi etc) it almost seems like a good old TCS drama that we watched when we were children, before they started producing crap to cater to teenagers or something. They really should produce more of these family-saga-melodramas. Heh I am so biased.

Argh now I spend 1 hour sitting in front of the TV every evening!

-------------------

I finished reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman (finally!) and the ending was pretty good and thought-provoking. Wonderful book. It got a little boring in the middle though, when everyone was just about sitting on their hands waiting for something to happen, and so was I. I wonder if I have less patience than I used to have in reading books, that I like to rush towards the climax of the story. My snail-like reading speed does not help either.

I am now reading Underworld by Don LeLillo, based on certain recommendations, and it seems to be a pretty interesting read, though it's another of those huge book-whoppers. And I definitely need to spend less time on leisurely reading nowadays. I also have Sophie's World on my table. It seems that most people have read it. For me it was one of those books whose name is floating about in your head but you have no idea the name is there until you actually see the book on the shelf and decide to get it. So.

Neuroanat drives me nuts. I cannot for the life of me visualise anything except the four lobes of the brain. Pharmaco is worse. Don't get me started. I never liked memorising receptor subtypes and mechanisms, which was why I did pretty badly for endocrine physio.

Have I said I think the Blogger input system really sucks. It does. If only I knew more html I would get a domain and set up a html blog. But I suck too.

By the way the Tantha Factory of Corny Jokes is in production again. So give me a call when you need a lame joke.

Avaris / 8/28/2004 08:13:00 PM

0 consumed