Monday, October 04, 2004
Comp-atibility Errors
School starts late tomorrow so here I am, bumming around on the computer way past my bedtime. The Medical Instruments Fair starts tomorrow and I got a duty slot that falls during a lecture, together with Hope and George, so will have to depend on Weeming for the copying of notes during the lecture heh. Anyway it's Vincent Chow lecturing, so maybe I'm not missing too much. I still have not decided whether to get a Classic II or a Cardio III, but I think considering all things a Cardio III would be a better choice. But Lambert told me he got his for $198, and I totally cannot believe it's now being sold at $235. Bloodsucking vampires, these people. And my counsellor told me NOT to buy Gowllands' tendon tappers because they are lousy and the rubber falls off, but it appears that the only brand of tendon tappers being sold at the fair is Gowllands. How?? This is disastrous.
But anyway, all that MIF ranting and dilemma of making a decision aside, I have another big dilemma: whether or not I should get a new computer. That, or just upgrade my existing one.
The main motive behind my need for a new computer being that although my current computer is still pretty workable, it cannot support any games with good graphics because it has an almost non-existent video card and 128 MB of RAM, which supposedly is not good anymore, even though it was a pretty good level when I bought the computer in 2001. So I am really craving for a computer that I can play computer games on. Especially Uru, the fourth instalment in the Myst series, which has a video card requirement that is, although low by current standards, still way higher than my computer is able to support.
So do I buy or not? I know that buying a computer to play games on should be the last thing on my mind right now since M2 is a lot more intensive and the major CA1 is coming up and I have lots of things to do in Medsoc. But I really really want to play Uru, although I think spending a thousand dollars on a new PC to play a game is kind of stupid, in the way that no other stupid things could really come close to on a level of stupidity before it reaches the level of insanity.
Great. Blogging all of this just helped me decide that I am not getting a new comp (should have come to that decision long ago), but I shall try upgrading. Maybe see what the price of a mid-range video card is and maybe getting some RAM. Argh everytime I walk past a computer store I cannot help walking in and picking up the Uru: Complete Chronicles box and just gazing at it thinking
Oh my goodness how I wish I could play this on my computer.
You're going to think I'm mad. Crazy about computer games, ok, but about a game like Uru? Haha I am just an insanely mad fan of Myst, because it's so intelligent and it just drives me nuts trying to solve the puzzles in the game. And I suck at just about all kinds of games anyway, so I play these puzzle solving games where at least I don't die a million times. I just get stuck.
Sigh I'll go to bed later and dream of Uru. At the moment that's just about all I can do about it. :(
Avaris / 10/04/2004 10:37:00 PM
0 consumed