Sunday, October 24, 2004
Work and Play
Playhouse was fantastic, what can I say? I really regret not going last year (even though that decision was backed by the pressing urgency of a CA on the following day) so this year I resolved to go for Playhouse and stay for all 5 plays, no matter how much mugging I thought I would be missing out on. And I think my decision was a good one. The upper Ms all had splendid plays with many a dose of humour, mostly injected by characters with funny accents (Ian was just hilarious with his pseudo-Alirio Melendez speak, and who could leave out the PRC-acupuncturist in the M3 play? No surprise that they won Best Supporting Actor and Actress respectively). I thought the M1 play would drive me nuts with the terrible fake accents (I didn't even know whether they were American, British or Indian), but the plot wasn't too bad, and as for the M2 play, ok, it wasn't superb, but everyone involved in it put in a lot of effort despite so many things being against us, and seeing as how Prof Raj said it was better than last year's play, I think it was a job well done.
While sitting through the plays, I was quite moved by the way all the other years seemed to bond very well together. You could see the M1s, M3s, M4s and M5s turning up in quite large numbers, and the M5s even took a group photo on stage after their play (I think almost the entire class was there), while for our year there was just a handful of people who stayed after the M2 play (less than the number of fingers on two hands, to be exact). It's very sad that so few M2s turned up. Yes, there's a huge CA coming up next week. Is that a reason or an excuse? Hmm actually I wonder what's wrong with
me, because in the past I would have been the cynical one, advocating mugging before attending such events, but here I am wishing that our batch could be more involved in things. I am not going to point my fingers at people and accuse them of being apathetic, but I just think it's incredibly depressing if we went through five years in medical school without remembering anything else besides cramming in the library and lugging books around.
Anyways, on a lighter note, people who saw me at Playhouse yesterday would have seen me pigging out on Teddy Grahams like some teddy-bear-eating monster. I bought the packet with the hopes of having lots of people to share it with through the breaks in Playhouse, because if it was going to end at 7 pm I would love not to die of hunger through it. But in the end not many people came, and not many people ate my Teddy Grahams, and there were
a lot of Teddy Grahams, so I ate most of them. Almost OD-ed on Teddy Grahams. My tongue still feels like it was soaked in saltwater for a day. What with thinking of funky ways to die, I might just die of over-eating some day. Tsk tsk.
Speaking of funky ways to die, some of you might have heard from me about
this interesting discussion going on in the Medsoc forums, about novel ways to kick the bucket. Click the link, it opens in a new window! I think it's an interesting thing to think about, although morbid thoughts just before the CAs might not be very healthy for mental health. Pop by and take a look, take part in the poll, and maybe join in the discussion if you're interested. Haha I'm trying to get more people to join the forums. But you can't tell, can you. ^_^
Signs that you're going mad from too much mugging: Dreaming that you have corneal opacification. Yup. I had a dream yesterday night where I looked in the mirror and had a big shock because I couldn't see my irises i.e. my eyes were totally white, like in X-Men the movie when Storm uses her powers and her eyes go white and Halle Berry had to wear white contact lens. Quite freaky. And the whole dream I was trying to find a doctor, while wondering how I could see properly when I have opacified corneas (is that the correct plural form for cornea?). And while reading the paper yesterday, I misread the heading EGG PRICES DROP as ECG PRICES DROP, and I was wondering why ECG prices would drop, much to my later amusement on looking more closely.
Did I say I don't like the new Straits Times? I think it just looks totally wrong. The font looks wrong, and it's terribly hard to read at arm's length, so I have to either sprawl on the floor to read it or find a table. Add that to the fact that I can't conveniently throw away the sections I don't read i.e. Asia, Money and Sports, makes it irritating. Bleargh.
Avaris / 10/24/2004 01:38:00 PM
0 consumed