Thursday, November 18, 2004
Bad Putty Tat
Hmm I'm frantically typing this since my bedtime is looming and I don't really want to stay up too late, my past few days being a progressive series of increasingly zombie-like days. But I just wanted to say something about Singapore Idol, something I don't think I've really done yet. Seeing as how it's the final three, though, something needs to be said.
First thing. Despite the fact that goodness knows how many thousands (maybe overestimated, but I don't want anyone coming for my head) of Singaporeans are mad over Sylvester Sim, I really can't stand him. Okay, I think he has had a few good performances, the most notable in my opinion being The Way You Look Tonight, since I'm not a great fan of rock music, and hence his rock numbers. What really gets me irked is his constant winking and lopsided grinning and pointing at the screen (and at the audience). It's too cheesy for me. Seriously. If you want a rock star image then drop the seduce-the-audience tactics already.
And today, Sylvester (I was immensely tickled by the fact that the voting banners read Slyvester for two weeks running somewhere early in the competition) was such a disaster it was a pain watching him, no offence to his fans. The crowning glory of agony for me was his horrible mangling of one of my favourite songs Music of the Night. He looked so constipated singing it and it just sounded so bizarre that I was shrieking at the television screen for him to stop, much to the alarm of my mum. Ouch. I still shudder at the thought.
Taufik was really good today, I thought, even though I personally support Olinda. I'll probably cast my vote for the two of them. YES, I am voting for the first time, stingy old me, so I hope my few dollars will be of use. What makes me really worried is that Sylvester's lacklustre performance might actually spur the entire teenage female population to pick up their handphones in earnest and push him into the finals, in which case I will be quite disappointed. I mean, we all have our favourites, so I can't say No, he should go out, just because I want it. It's just my point of view. Again, no offence.
Another interesting point I noted during today's performance was how the idol contestants seemed to mangle a bit of the lyrics of the Andrew Lloyd Webber songs, with which I am quite familiar. For example, for Don't Cry For Me, Argentina, instead of the original "dressed up to the nines, when sixes and sevens were in", Olinda sang "and sixes and sevens with you", which left me going Huh, what in the world does that line mean now? And Sylvester, if I didn't hear wrongly, sang "cast your thoughts to the world you knew before" instead of "leave your thoughts of the world you knew before". I might be wrong, though, since I can't make out anything he sings anyway. (Ouch.)
Makes me wonder if they forgot the words and improvised in a very creative fashion or they had to try and decipher the original lyrics from the songs, which is really quite difficult at times. Hello, have you guys heard of the Internet? Any song lyrics can be found there, you know. But seriously, it provided some entertainment.
All right, that's all. My two cents' worth.
I really shouldn't be criticising other peoples' singing when I'm not doing very well myself in carolling. In fact, I'm drowning, and if not for the kind help of the experts like Victor, Shermin and Chi Hsien I might be mad by now. To me, all the dots are just dots, you know what I mean? That's the problem with having no musical background at all.
And for those of you who think I've gone on a tangential path off the metaphorical rocker when you read my last post, fret not because I haven't. Was just in a rut of inexplicably deep dark misery on that fine Monday evening and decided to lash out against those people in a particularly vindictive passion. It felt good, really, but it probably isn't too nice to a whole lot of people. And it's not like I want to harp on old wounds, but I thought it might give you some perspective on the life of this troubled youth, heh. And misery loves company, doesn't it.
I read on someone's website that he thinks the people who get chosen last out of the whole class during P.E. are people who are unfit, antisocial and horridly unpopular, like the boy with body odour or something, and he thinks they grow up to be delinquents or something. Well, here's your fine opinion back in your face, mister. Not that he'll ever read this site, but I just wanted to make a point here.
Avaris / 11/18/2004 10:50:00 PM
0 consumed