Thursday, November 25, 2004
Dee Why Dee Axe
Can you tell I'm delighted? My brother is away for three days on some camp and the house belongs to ME! I've been skipping around joyfully all day. :) Well anyway I can't really skip around at home now since there is stuff strewn all over the place. Books, cupboards, shelves, boxes, files, et cetera. The reason why all those things are lying about is because my parents have initiated Operation Big Move i.e. moving my brother (who is currently not at home, and so a whole lot easier to "move") from my room to the other room, which we used to call the "guest room".
Some people find it hard to understand how and why I would consent to sharing a bedroom with my brother for like 14 years. I didn't mind. I still don't, not really, because it makes me feel safer knowing that if something goes wrong there'll be someone in the room to hear me scream. So I'm pathologically paranoid. Like I may choke on my own saliva or have some nocturnal heart attack or something, you never know. Yeah when I was younger I would freak out if I had to sleep by myself so I insisted that I be in the same room as my brother.
Well. Things change. Now we all feel happier being in separate rooms, because he's come to that age where perhaps privacy is a bit more important. And supposedly the computer that I'm typing this on - which I always call the "old lousy computer" when it really isn't very lousy since the only thing that I hate about it is that it has a video card with 5 MB memory, so just about no game nowadays can run on it (You can see I was quite unaware of the importance of a video card when I bought the computer) - is also part of Operation Big Move, so it's going over to his room too. This was supposed to be after I got my new computer, but things have either progressed too fast or too slowly, depending on which things you're talking about. The computer stays in my room for now, at least till I get the new comp, hopefully by next week.
Monumental things are happening. We were so unhappy with PBL that we staged a dramatic protest against the system and got one of our group to pen a letter of bitter complaint (no prizes for guessing who wrote the letter - not me) to Wong Mee Lian. She wasn't very pleased with the letter, as those of you whom I showed the original letter as well as the reply to today in the LT can attest to. But even so, something good (I presume) has come out of it, for WML is now taking us for Unit 7. I don't really know how it'll be like, whether she'll scream at us or something (which is something I'd love to see heehee - Wong of the Million Smiles loses her cool) or lecture us or whatever, but it will be a change, at least. It really was a lose-lose situation for all of us, and on Wednesday it got so extreme that some people suggested that we split the PBL group into 2 to go for units 7 and 8 so we would not waste as much time. I think the tutor felt our frustration and was frustrated as well. I can't say I'm sorry for pushing for a change, because in the end all we want is a good education, and sometimes we must be prepared to fight for it, no matter the price. Is that too callous of me?
Monumental, really. It goes to show that things can be done if you care enough to fight for change.
During carolling today I composed a tribute to Wong of the Million Smiles:
(sung to the tune of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer)
You know G-net and Adeline and Seang Mei and Kee Seng,
Oh Lee Gan and David and Woon Puay and Hin Peng.
But do you recall, the most famous one of them all?
Meelian the COFM priestess, the one with a million smiles,
And if you ever saw her, you would fall prey to her wiles.
All of the medical students, used to laugh at her for sport,
They never paid attention to anything she taught.
Then one COFM posting eve, the students came to say,
Meelian with your smile so nice, please teach us how to empathise.
Oh, now the students loved her, as they shouted out with glee,
Meelian, oh great priestess, we can now take history!
Bleh yes you think I'm really really bored. The next thing you know I'll be writing War of the Sunflower Ver.2 or something. Yesterday I thought of something really silly - Gollee Gan with his secret weapon, the Golly Gun! Haha I was bowled over with amusement.
Avaris / 11/25/2004 09:49:00 PM
0 consumed