CONSUMED. by avaris
Some men make fortunes, but not to enjoy them; for, consumed by avarice, they live to make fortunes

[ about ]

"Tout le monde voit, peu de personnes savent observer - All the world sees, but few truly observe"



[ gallery ]

Shoot for the Future

My Flickr Photos



[ links ]

Sinfest
MIMS Online
UpToDate
It's A Zoo Out There
Mr Wang Says So
theonlinecitizen
Yawning Bread



[ friends' blogs ]

13 hours to love
alvin
belinda
CG
cheesie
cover me in ashes
elpis
gfmozart
jack
jiabin
jonnybaby
lvacation
mezza
plhu
raphael
raymond
w33mz
xiuling
xueling



[ archives ]


September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
September 2008
November 2008
January 2009
February 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
September 2010
October 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
November 2011
December 2011
April 2012
June 2012
July 2012
February 2014
June 2014
July 2014
October 2014
December 2014
March 2015
June 2015
October 2015
December 2015
March 2016




[ current read ]

The Emperor of All Maladies
A Biography of Cancer

(Siddharta Mukherjee)




[ current anime ]

---


Monday, November 15, 2004

Nobody knows who I really am. I've never felt this empty before.

For the life of me I don't think I've ever met any person who hates sports as much as I do. I hate sports. Especially team sports. I hated having to work with other people and having to support other people, when those other people think you're some piece of snot.

I don't think many people know how it feels like being the last one in class to be picked for a team during PE lessons in school. Not many people have a chance to see the knowing looks on the other students' faces when all of them know that the team that gets Andre is bound to lose. Not many people knows how it feels like seeing the look of bitter resignation in the faces of the other students in his team as the game starts, how it feels like hearing the team captain tell him to stay out of the way.

My life story, in three sentences. Why I hate football, basketball, rugby, handball, volleyball, and a whole lot of other sports.

I don't mind the losing. To me losing to someone else is merely a direct manifestation of the differences in ability between you and that someone else. Knowing my own capabilities, I never felt any bitterness at losing to a better person. But everyone else felt it, and I felt that bitterness targeted towards me, towards the cause of their loss. My don't-really-care attitude towards losing made that bitterness worse, fed their hate towards me, towards someone who can singlehandedly tip the scales of the game and yet be so nonchalant about it. None of it mattered to me. I went skipping along and bent to ruffle the mimosa in the grass. Or I thought I didn't bother. No one can be the target of so much dislike and bitterness and not bother.

That was in primary school. I wasn't much liked in primary school. There was little I could do about it.

It was very much the same in secondary school. What was different was that I tried to be useful. I tried to not be a liability, if not an asset. It didn't work. Someone would throw me a ball and I would miss catching it. Others would scream, "Don't pass the ball to him!" Fine. Don't pass the ball to me. Just pass all that hate along, won't you. Those weren't the worst days.

Upper secondary was a nightmare. I dreaded PE lessons like I never had before. The reason being the teacher would group us into teams based on our register numbers, so I always ended up with the same groups of people during lessons. There was this really nice guy in this group who would always encourage me when I screwed up a serve during tennis, or a volley during volleyball. It was the first time in my life anyone was nice to me during PE, and yet I hated it. I hated it because despite all my efforts to be better at the various games we were playing, I just could not. And I could see the frustration in his eyes, in all the others' eyes, while he said it's alright, we'll try that again.

I hated the falseness I could hear in his words, even though I knew he was only trying to be nice, to not be like all those people who have tormented me my whole life with their rejection and their hate. But I wished that he could hate me like all the other people did. I didn't want to be patronised like a little child. I didn't need his pity nor his sympathy. I didn't need his to blackmail me emotionally with his encouragements so I could not put in any less effort than I already did, because all I wanted to do was give up. Why try so hard when you know the only result is failure? But still I tried, because of his encouragement, because despite my breaking will I was truly encouraged, felt wholly supported.

There was only that one person in the whole of my life that I truly remember for the way he touched me, even if in the end it amounted to nothing much and I was still a wreck at physical sport. He was not a close friend, and yet the way he encouraged me changed me a lot more than anything else anyone else might have done in his place. I never found out if it was a good thing or a bad thing, but I never want to have it happening again, because it nearly killed me trying to deserve that kind of kindness.

Some people tell me sport is fun. It's a leisurely activity, they say. It builds camaraderie, fosters team spirit, they profess. I wonder if they've ever felt the way I've felt, seen the things I've seen and heard the things I've heard. These are the people who tell you to go stand in a corner and stay out of the way, the people who roar when they win and curse when they lose, the people who don't even look at you with disdain in their eyes because in their eyes you don't exist. Team spirit, my foot. What kind of lofty team spirit can you speak of when you tell the weakest link to go rot in a corner? When you demean the value of a human being by judging it according to the value that human being has in helping you win a game? Tell me about sportsmanship and I'll tell you about marginalisation. Show me someone who thinks winning isn't everything and I'll point you five to whom winning is more than everything, I'll show you the kind of people who made my life a living hell.

One afternoon during PE in JC I was running around, pretending I was part of the game, pretending someone would notice me and pass me a ball and yet hoping no one would because I would most likely screw up as usual. That was when I straightened and went, Damn, what the hell am I doing? Why am I deluding myself like this? If I weren't running around on the court, no one would notice my absence. No one.

So I left. And never looked back. No one noticed. Why would they?

Avaris / 11/15/2004 06:03:00 PM

0 consumed