CONSUMED. by avaris
Some men make fortunes, but not to enjoy them; for, consumed by avarice, they live to make fortunes

[ about ]

"Tout le monde voit, peu de personnes savent observer - All the world sees, but few truly observe"



[ gallery ]

Shoot for the Future

My Flickr Photos



[ links ]

Sinfest
MIMS Online
UpToDate
It's A Zoo Out There
Mr Wang Says So
theonlinecitizen
Yawning Bread



[ friends' blogs ]

13 hours to love
alvin
belinda
CG
cheesie
cover me in ashes
elpis
gfmozart
jack
jiabin
jonnybaby
lvacation
mezza
plhu
raphael
raymond
w33mz
xiuling
xueling



[ archives ]


September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
September 2008
November 2008
January 2009
February 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
September 2010
October 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
November 2011
December 2011
April 2012
June 2012
July 2012
February 2014
June 2014
July 2014
October 2014
December 2014
March 2015
June 2015
October 2015
December 2015
March 2016




[ current read ]

The Emperor of All Maladies
A Biography of Cancer

(Siddharta Mukherjee)




[ current anime ]

---


Sunday, January 16, 2005

Co-morbidity

I'm finally back, and blogging again. It's about time, I suppose, since it's almost one week after the horrible nightmare that was the CAs. Just some mundane updates on things, just so that you have something to read, heh. And a new song update, even though I would love to keep Akatsuki no Kuruma here longer. Maybe I'll upload a different version of the song sometime later.

Watching the AnimeJunkies fansub of Gundam Seed makes me feel rather cheated, because the subbers are pretty bad at doing translations of the names of the various characters, weapons and Gundams to English. Not that Gundam Seed is really easy to sub (in fact it's probably a subber's greatest nightmare), but some of the translations are really really bad. I cringe in horror when they call the Raider the Radar. I wish I had better fansubs to watch, but the collection from Boxtorrents is the only one I managed to find, and unfortunately most of the episodes in that collection are subbed by AnimeJunkies. Well, if anything, it provides a bit of humour. And no matter how bad the translations, I still think it beats watching the English dub on Kids Central; I watched one episode the other day and was tormented by the voices of the dubbers. American English does not go with anime.

Other than watching Gundam Seed, the time after CAs has also been spent playing Myst IV: Revelation, which I finally gave in to endless temptation and bought, to my wallet's great protestation. Every cent is worth it, though, because the Myst world is so expansive and immersive that one gets totally lost in it. Until, that is, one has to solve a puzzle, which is often a mind-numbing complexity that eludes logic. But everything still makes sense, unlike Uru, which I rather regret buying because it made absolutely no sense at all, and some of the puzzles were wholly unsolvable.

One of the things I really like about the Myst universe is how the games only begin the scratch the surface of the world created by Rand Miller, and there is just so much history and background supporting the main storyline of each of the games that it is simply staggering. There are even three novels written about the world of Myst, which hopefully I can get around to reading. Hardly any other computer game has such elaborate foundations and vastness, except maybe the notable strategy games like Warcraft and Starcraft.

I'm actually in a rather morbid mood currently, because like plhu says on her blog there is just too little time left in this semester, and I'd really hate to spend all of it studying. It just seems like there's so much to do that I have no idea how to prioritise and I feel myself being torn in all directions. It is the same feeling as just after the last CA, and now I'm beginning to dread the feeling even as I look forward to the end of a CA. There's just too much I would like to spend my time on, other than studying, because there is this looming fear that as the years go by I'll have less and less time to do those things, so I might as well do them now.

When I'm in a morbid mood I write morbid stories.

If anyone wants to know how PBL with Prof Wong Mee Lian went (remember the debacle with our PBL group complaining terribly about our PRC PBL tutor LJH which ended in Prof Wong agreeing to take us for Unit 7? Yeah that's the one), I think it went quite well. Definitely a lot better than with the PRC guy (I'll reiterate that he's a really nice guy, but hell, there has to be a distinction between whether a person is nice and whether or not a person is competent at the task he's been given, and sadly in this case, he was really incompetent at leading a PBL session, no offense meant). And strangely Prof Wong made no mention of the unhappiness that led to the change of PBL tutor, and for a few moments we all felt like we were groping around in a minefield, trying not to trip off any explosives. Some say that it's to be expected that she didn't say anything about the matter, since she's so politically correct, but I don't know. It makes me feel very uneasy not knowing what she thinks about the entire situation and what she thinks of our viewpoint when we haven't had a chance to make our point. Are we wilful? I don't think so. We have the right, I believe, to point out inadequacies in the system and to ask for improvements. I think playing the money card is rather sensitive, but yes, we do pay exorbitant amounts for our school fees, and if that doesn't give us the right to air our grievances then the system is just wrong. But ideally of course we should be able to make our views heard even if we were paying nothing at all, because this is not a dictatorship. I am in a way glad that Prof Wong agreed to take us, because there really is a world of difference, even if she might not be able to see it. Even with her minimal intervention approach to PBL, she still imparts to us a gazillion times more clinical knowledge than LJH, even if she cannot compare to our brilliant prof we had for the first 4 units. A little change can make a big difference.

That's about all for the updates. I never thought it's possible to type so much your fingers start shaking, but my fingers are shaking a lot. Maybe it's not just the typing, but also the panel-lining I was doing for my Justice Gundam model just now. Been using my hands a lot today.

Enjoy the music file: it's the symphonic version of the first ending theme Anna Ni Isshou Datta No Ni, another beautiful song. The symphonic version sounds pretty cool, and it's performed by the London Symphonic Orchestra.





Avaris / 1/16/2005 05:39:00 PM

0 consumed