Saturday, February 26, 2005
The Death of Conversation
I don't even know what I'm doing here. I'm just blogging because I just finished COFM and I'm like really really bored. And I figure it's about time to change the music on my blog. Might as well do something. Ever since they changed Tian Cai Go Go Go on Saturday nights to Guess^3 my Saturday nights feel a gazillion times more dead.
As for the music, since we seem to be on a streak of piano pieces, here's Theme of Tears, a Nicol cover song in tribute to our favourite green-haired hobbit who died because Blitz wasn't selling well in Japan. The cruelty of the Seed producers is unimaginable, if that piece of rumour is true. Sigh I feel a slight melancholic twinge thinking about poor Nicol. I think Theme of Tears is a pleasant piece; I couldn't find the mp3 for some time and even tried to create a MIDI file based on the sheet music, which was quite impossible because there were some complex parts that couldn't fit into a computer program. But I found the file in the end, so thank goodness.
A very interesting Get Fuzzy comic strip on Friday, that somehow happened to echo some of my thoughts. (I don't know if this sounds really weird, like I'm psychotic or something [chlorpromazine anybody?], but for quite a few years now I've found that things I just happen to see on television or read in the newspaper or in a book just sometimes spookily resonate with particular themes or problems or thoughts that I have at that particular moment, and I wonder if it's really chance or something bigger than that. I don't know, really. Has anyone ever had that feeling, or is it just me?) Well anyway back to the comic strip, I kind of like Get Fuzzy, especially the really crazy Bucky, although a lot of times I don't really understand the punchlines.
And well, with regard to the death of conversation, what can I say? It's pretty darn hard to have a proper conversation with anyone nowadays, and sometimes I think maybe it's my fault, that I tend to come off as being rather aloof and cold when my mind is preoccupied with other thoughts, and then I come back and wonder why we couldn't have had a nice serious conversation. Somehow people are always rushing off to do something or other, or have their minds preoccupied with something or other, and it becomes so hard to just talk. I suppose this comes especially hard since our second year in Medicine has just come to an end (Well, not really, but I'm not going to be a stickler for details here) and one just gets struck by the overwhelming realisation that it's going to be so much harder to meet up and talk when we all split up for clinics.
(I'm secretly pissed with someone, you can tell, can't you?)Sigh, it's really hard when people don't realise that you get irritated by the things they do, or they don't understand why.
Animes are like totally overtaking my life, by the way. I don't know why I'm watching Last Exile again on Arts Central, but I've always loved Last Exile (it's probably one of my real favourite animes ever, and if my love for it can last for nearly a year that's pretty good haha). And besides that, and Gundam Seed Destiny, I'm also watching Soukyuu no Fafner and FLCL. FLCL is probably the most wackily funny anime I've ever watched, even though it's only 6 episodes-long. No wonder it's so famous. Thanks to mezza for indirectly telling me about it.
Just last week I had this plan of going to school every weekday to study because I don't want to waste the money I spent on my concession pass (yes, I agree that that is one of the worst reasons for anything I've ever heard of, welcome to my twisted world) but I decided not to. The reason being I'm totally addicted to this television programme on Channel U at 10 a.m. every weekday called Feng Mian Ren Wu (or Cover Story) where Stella Chang (my idol since primary school! *swoons) interviews all these celebrities and they tell her their life story and stuff. And if you know me well, you will know that one of my worst weak points is hearing other people's sob stories, or anything with lots of emotional content (like Taiwanese soaps that I watch with my mom on weekday afternoons). So that's it, I'm hooked. I don't know how I'm going to live during clinics when I probably won't get home in time for even the late afternoon soaps.
I've always felt that there's something alluring about the Mandarin that Taiwanese speak. It all seems so casual and yet fluent and rolling and musical, and so pleasant to the ears. It's much much better than PRC-speak, I must say. That's why I always love watching Taiwanese programmes and just listen to how they speak and how Mandarin just rolls poetically off their tongues without sounding pretentious or plain awful. Would you believe I actually looked forward to having Chinese lessons in Sec 3 and 4 because my Chinese teacher was Taiwanese? Mwahaha w33mz will get a shock from this.
As a sidenote, I think maybe I'm turning into my mom. What an amusing thought.
Avaris / 2/26/2005 11:16:00 PM
0 consumed