CONSUMED. by avaris
Some men make fortunes, but not to enjoy them; for, consumed by avarice, they live to make fortunes

[ about ]

"Tout le monde voit, peu de personnes savent observer - All the world sees, but few truly observe"



[ gallery ]

Shoot for the Future

My Flickr Photos



[ links ]

Sinfest
MIMS Online
UpToDate
It's A Zoo Out There
Mr Wang Says So
theonlinecitizen
Yawning Bread



[ friends' blogs ]

13 hours to love
alvin
belinda
CG
cheesie
cover me in ashes
elpis
gfmozart
jack
jiabin
jonnybaby
lvacation
mezza
plhu
raphael
raymond
w33mz
xiuling
xueling



[ archives ]


September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
September 2008
November 2008
January 2009
February 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
September 2010
October 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
November 2011
December 2011
April 2012
June 2012
July 2012
February 2014
June 2014
July 2014
October 2014
December 2014
March 2015
June 2015
October 2015
December 2015
March 2016




[ current read ]

The Emperor of All Maladies
A Biography of Cancer

(Siddharta Mukherjee)




[ current anime ]

---


Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Two Two Two (because it's 22 Feb and I can't think of a good title)

It's quite funny how I gradually find myself not disliking Pharmacology anymore, since with more and more information everything seems to somewhat click. Or so I think, maybe I delude myself. But Shabbir Moochala's notes really really defy any serious attempt to wring some kind of intellectual value out of them, and it just so happens I don't really take much notes during lectures, so I have absolutely no idea what's going on there.

Let me not talk on and on about mugging but rather about other more enjoyable parts of life.

I watched Constantine today; am quite tempted to say "finally!" but I shall not aggravate the people who have not watched it. I think the plot was pretty good and stimulating, but there seemed to be a lot of things that weren't addressed explicitly and left to the audience to link together. At least I managed to figure out what was going on early on in the show. And Keanu Reeves is so devilishly handsome. *gawk* There was this weird old guy who came with his wife and sat beside me and ended up sleeping through three-quarters of the show and I know because he was snoring really loudly. Makes me wonder why people would pay money to sleep in the theatre. And his poor wife was asking him questions throughout the movie only to be met with snores. Sigh.

Last week was a great week. All that pent-up emotional torment and stress finally resolved totally on Thursday with the somewhat successful Career Seminar. Prof Low was amazingly good and really impressive, which made me glad I invited him. I had wanted to invite specialists to talk about their individual specialties, but to get a representative sample of specialists meant having at least 5 or more seminars, which didn't seem too feasible based on cost, time, attendance, interest etc. Yeah, so even though it was only one measly talk and I managed to squander quite a considerable amount of money, I'm quite happy with the eventual turnout. And yeah, the one thing I was waiting to see happen or not happen, happened, so I'm quite at peace with myself there as well. (bwahaha pop-up cryptic sentence anyone?)

The weeked saw me watching two plays, one on Saturday and one on Sunday. My horoscope said to "accept any unexpected invitations", and even though I never put any great belief in such things I supposed it wouldn't do me much harm to try going out and getting some fresh air. The play on Saturday evening was a Temasek Hall production at the UCC (I went because I was invited by a friend whose friend was acting) called Spoilt, and it was a pretty good play with solid acting and lots of humour. It was about a woman has everything in life, but wakes up one day and decides she's going to go mad. Very thought-provoking. The play on Sunday had a similar theme, about not finding happiness in life, and I was quite surprised by the coincidental resonance of themes among the two plays, which made me eventually put some serious thought to what I really want in life.

My conclusion is, at least for this moment, that I'm contented to just experience life as it is, because to me right now life is all about the experience, going through ups and downs and feeling the entire gamut of existing human emotions, and learning more about yourself and others and the world as you go along. To me, getting results and achieving and possessing is not that important in life (which explains why I'd really rather watch Gundam Seed Destiny or write a lengthy blogpost rather than mug ^_^), but having these things just lubricates the process. Ya, ya, easy for me to say. Ok I shall shut up now.

After today's tutorial on infectious diseases and hearing about the doctors that caught SARS and passed away, I can't help but feel really sad, because it somehow brings things so close to your heart somehow. In M1, medicine seemed ages away, but as time passes we get closer and closer to people in the profession and seem to become part of the big family (well, maybe, almost, whatever I'm just hopelessly rambling), and to feel that we lost such great people to a disease that could have been easily stopped, on hindsight, seems such a terrible shame. It cuts really deep.

Well, on a lighter note, Microbiology is like the most fascinating subject in M2, but I keep getting paranoid over itsy bitsy things. I think the worst MB nightmare that can happen to anyone is to walk into a toilet cubicle, close the door, and find that the door handle on the inside is wet (i.e. your hand contacted the moisture) and then go OMG where did the moisture come from. And all then even before you've done whatever you got into the cubicle to do! Gross.


How can a blogpost not be complete without a regular Gundam Seed Destiny rave? Or rant, in this case. The attack of the horrific pink Zaku in Phase 19! Avert thy eyes! Gosh it looks like a strawberry lollipop or something. Ack.

And one corny joke: In what pathological condition do you have a disappearing thyroid gland?

Answer: When the thyroid produces Mirage Colloid! (Haha, haha, hahahaha. Sorry, but it's an exclusive for Seed watchers)

Avaris / 2/22/2005 09:39:00 PM

0 consumed