Tuesday, March 22, 2005
Ani-madness
This is an anime-centered post, because I'm all gushy after watching Gundam SEED Destiny Phase 22. You have been warned. Yes, that's a spoiler alert warning too.
Phase 22 was so enjoyable in a gazillion ways, that I don't even know where to start. Okay let's start with Heine Westenfluss, he of the gravity-defying hair flip. He's voiced by T.M. Revolution and all, and sounds pretty cool, but sometimes his way of speaking is really incongruous with the fact that he's supposed to be this FAITH commander and Athrun's superior and all. He even uses the finger when talking to Lunamaria! I think that's really hilarious; imagine a military commander asking you a question with the finger! It made me chuckle for quite a while. I have no problems with it, but it's just amusing.


The big problem with Heine is that he sounds exactly like Miguel Ayman (who died in Ep 2 or 3 of SEED I believe) because I have the suits CD with Miguel having a conversation with Nicol and Athrun and he sounds exactly the same! Well of course the seiyuu is the same but even the characters' personalities seem the same too, with the way they talk really casually even though they're senior officers in ZAFT, and the way they make Athrun all uneasy with their questions. It's really spooky. I like Heine though, he's cool and friendly and everything. He has orange hair, and orange Gundam, and an orange flightsuit! He makes orange look good, I must say. A pity he's going to ahem ahem soon. Well at least rumour says so, and it might actually be as soon as the next episode.
On the ORB side, Yuuna is being detestable as usual, but he's detestable in a cute way, what with his turning colours on the ship and being all girly-excited about battle and all (he's so overconfident!). Unlike Djibril, which is detestable in a utterly hateable kind of way. Absolutely. At least Azrael had good dress sense. Djibril has awful dress sense, ugly hair, and uses purple lipstick. Gack. I like the ORB military commander Todaka (he looks like Fumihiko from Fafner!) and I'm slightly happy that he didn't get annihilated by the Tannhauser, even though that means Yunna gets to live another day and harrass Cagalli. He looks to be that kind of person who will lead a revolt against Yunna or something, like Lacus did against Patrick Zala last series. I'd love to see that, but who knows.
How could I forget Kira and Freedom? Kira! Freedom! I love the way Freedom just appears from nowhere and shoots things without causing any major casualty. He's so cool and humane at the same time it's just swoon-inducing. Kira! Freedom! Athrun! Saviour! Happy reunion! Well, maybe not, considering Kira attacked the Minerva. I can't wait for Phase 23, because that's when we'll see more Kira, more Freedom, more Cagalli, more Lacus, and Andrew flying in on his spanky golden Murasame, and Shinn freaking out to the sight of the Freedom (which I totally don't get because wasn't it the Calamity that blasted his family to bits?). Finally this series is picking up speed.
There were two major errors in this series that could mean serious trouble for the producers: Phase 22 was written as Phase 21 at the beginning of the episode, and the animation people re-used some footage from the original series and forgot to edit it real closely, so Impulse turned into Strike somewhere in the late part of the episode. Ok, so I'm not that observant and only found that out from reading forums, but I think they're awfully bad mistakes to make.
Oh ok well apparently Animage February had this poll of the top 100 popular anime characters of 2004, and guess who the Number One character is? Athrun! Mwahaha. Actually the top 10 is almost completely dominated by SEED and FMA, with Sakura from CCS taking 9th spot. Ok you can
look at the list here, but only of 1 to 48. Kazuki and Soushi from Soukyuu no Fafner are 16 and 25 respectively! Yeah I had to mention that. I have so much love for Fafner now, and I can't bear to watch the last few episodes.
I told Hope just now that I have great plans for tomorrow. I shall go to school and study very hard, hoping to finish at least half of virology by the afternoon, and hopefully without falling asleep. The good thing about studying at home is that I can make as much noise as I want (I wail sometimes) and I can stretch like crazy to keep from falling asleep, and I walk around bugging my mom, but the weather is getting really hot and I want air-conditioning. Well, after all that mugging, I shall go to Sunshine Plaza without a trace of guilt, and buy stuff! Mwahahaha. I think I shall buy two packs of GSD photocards because I've seen them on someone else's livejournal and they look cool. If I'm lucky I might get a shiny card too, but I'm usually not lucky. George asked me to go out for lunch. How can I go out? That will spoil all my lovingly laid plans. I'm sorry, George.
Hmm Enetation isn't working. I do hope it hasn't decided to die on me.
P.S. Pardon the excessive use of exclamation marks in this post. Gundam SEED love is overwhelming in its power.
Avaris / 3/22/2005 09:33:00 PM
0 consumed