Saturday, April 23, 2005
Old-fashioned goodness
I'm back! Fever broke some time yesterday night, so I'm feeling much better now, though still really nauseous. Evil gastric flu thingey. Anyway many thanks to the, like, four people who wished me well the past few days.
I find TCM quite fascinating. Yesterday night my mom was telling me that I might have "mor dan" or something like that, which results from overheatiness in the gut and causes high fever that doesn't go down. The way to find out if I had this sickness was to take a shelled hardboiled egg and roll it over my skin, which she did. Then she showed me the egg yolk, the surface of which was furry, and told me that this was a positive result. How amazing is that? I feel compelled to try the same on healthy people and see if the egg yolk is unchanged.
Sometimes I think there are so many old-wives tales and folklore and tradition that our elders know, which has been taught to them by their parents, passed down for so many generations, that we don't really care about all because we're living in a modern society that has an increasingly diminishing place for such traditions and practices. Not that I disagree with the fact that many of these practices have no scientific basis and that some are harmful to the health, but I still think we shouldn't just throw everything aside and call them rubbish. To me it's our heritage in a sense, these practices and traditions, and I would be really sad if it all ends with our generation. Which is why I keep bugging my mom to teach me things that she learnt from her mom, just so that it doesn't end.
Haha I'm so emotional. I don't know, but I feel very strongly for traditions, because despite how they might appear to be out-of-sync with modernity they are still worth learning about and preserving for a next generation, otherwise what will our children and future generations have for their cultural identity?
School starts in two days, and I'm looking forward to learning clinical stuff, but I wish we had just one week more of holidays, because I haven't finished my Athrun and Cagalli picture nor my fantasy novels. *sob* And with this stupid sickness I was down for about three days so I have done nothing but rest in that duration. I'm like, so so sad.

<-- freaking hilarious icon
I went to Parkway Parade today to do some last-minute buying of pants for clinics, and I saw Kym Ng! Turns out she and Quan Yifeng were there filming that matchmaking programme on Channel u, on which I saw Jon Ng last week. Erm I'm not actually very excited that I saw a celebrity, because they're like normal people anyway. Just saying.
New song file: Shinkai no Kodoku! I love this song; it's quite the equivalent of Akatsuki no Kuruma from SEED, but of course AnK is the best. I've been putting this song on repeat on my comp for so long that my mom is sick of it. And the new OP is getting really stuck in my head too.
I am like secretly waiting for my readership to hit 10,000 so I can make a big fuss about nothing and go lalala, look how far we've come. But really, look how far we've come.
Avaris / 4/23/2005 08:03:00 PM
0 consumed