Wednesday, May 04, 2005
Learning to make mistakes and learn from them
I totally take back what I said about not feeling emotional while watching Gundam SEED Destiny. Phase 28 was a horribly horribly traumatic and emotional episode for me what with all that happened. Ok no big spoilers here, but still should put a
[spoiler alert!]. Kira and Athrun's little screaming fit was very gut-wrenching, especially because ever since Kira turned up and blasted a hole in the Minerva my loyalties have been divided somewhat equally among the ZAFT-Minerva and Archangel-protect-Orb camps, with a bit more sympathy towards Athrun. This episode changes everything and makes me feel a lot more for Cagalli as someone who's trying to save her people from devastation and not some whiny girl. It's a pity she can't just scream at Athrun for being stupid, and has to let Kira be her strength all the time.
Shinn went into hyper-angst mode again, which was pretty annoying even for the level of liking I've gotten to for him. Rampages are silly and kill people that shouldn't be killed, and it's so meaningless when the characters don't really have a forceful reason for charging to their deaths and still do it anyway. I hate wars. There never is a right or wrong side in war, and it's just so much killing and woe and pain when everyone is just trying to keep from dying. I suck at GP, so all this sounds really crappy due to my inability to analyse concepts like war, so I should just stop the philosophical rambling. At one point in the anime (shall not say which to reduce spoiler-content, but those who have watched and know Fafner should know) I went into Fafner-mode for 2 seconds and screamed mentally "Noo, Kazuki, that's your father!" Meh. I need to get out of Fafner fanboy mode already.
[end of spoilers]Clinicals this week were a lot more fun, because everyone's really on (at least our CG is, don't know about the others) and we're attending ward rounds (and being very obstructive to nurses and doctors in general) and clerking patients. We've also gotten some good tutors, especially for today, when we met this Gastroenterology consultant Dr Chua during ward rounds, and he brought us to the Endoscopy clinic to see him do three endoscopies. He's a wonderful doctor and very willing to teach, though quite a few of his questions stumped us (how to reverse the effects of benzodiazepines?). The endoscopies looked really traumatic though, and now I know why my mom refuses to go for one after she had one some years back. I definitely wouldn't like to have one pushed down my throat.
It's quite interesting to note how a lot of the doctors that have taught us so far in CGH are all educated in the UK and all have very interesting senses of humour, which we don't really get most of the time. Jon Chia says that in the future we might very well have weird senses of humour too, and I'm inclined to believe it. Then we can go and traumatise medical students with bad jokes. Dr. Jaya, a Cardiology consultant who took us for Cardio tutorial today, made a joke that I totally didn't understand, but laughed at because everyone was laughing, but I think everyone else was laughing because everyone else was laughing, and no one actually got the joke. If anyone in my CG reads this, and actually understood the "two t's in vomiting" joke, please explain to me, kthx.
Suddenly the idea of not being in clinics until next Tuesday makes me feel awful, because all I want to do now is to talk to more patients, even though I was lazy today and decided not to stay around to some more patients (because it was 5.30!). One week ago I would never have thought that clinics would be so addictive, and knowing me I'll probably get worn out soon, but it's great if you see new patients every day, each with their own stories. I definitely need to improve on my history-taking, because I really can't just talk to the patient, but just ask everything related to medical history.
Avaris / 5/04/2005 08:55:00 PM
0 consumed