CONSUMED. by avaris
Some men make fortunes, but not to enjoy them; for, consumed by avarice, they live to make fortunes

[ about ]

"Tout le monde voit, peu de personnes savent observer - All the world sees, but few truly observe"



[ gallery ]

Shoot for the Future

My Flickr Photos



[ links ]

Sinfest
MIMS Online
UpToDate
It's A Zoo Out There
Mr Wang Says So
theonlinecitizen
Yawning Bread



[ friends' blogs ]

13 hours to love
alvin
belinda
CG
cheesie
cover me in ashes
elpis
gfmozart
jack
jiabin
jonnybaby
lvacation
mezza
plhu
raphael
raymond
w33mz
xiuling
xueling



[ archives ]


September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
September 2008
November 2008
January 2009
February 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
September 2010
October 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
November 2011
December 2011
April 2012
June 2012
July 2012
February 2014
June 2014
July 2014
October 2014
December 2014
March 2015
June 2015
October 2015
December 2015
March 2016




[ current read ]

The Emperor of All Maladies
A Biography of Cancer

(Siddharta Mukherjee)




[ current anime ]

---


Sunday, May 22, 2005

More whine, sir?

I feel somewhat determined to make up for previous posts that have been pretty full of nothing much in particular, but having said that I have this feeling that this post is not going to reach the kind of standard that I'm hoping for. Add that to the fact that the lower half is composed of fun surveys from other people's blogs, and this is most probably going to a silly post masquerading as a serious post and failing miserably. Drat.

I'm quite amused by last Sunday's news article about A*Star chairman Philip Yeo's comments against "whining Singapore boys" and supporting statements from an A*Star scholar Ms Chng Zhenzhi who subsequently got flamed for criticising Singapore men for whining about little things and who appeared in the papers today to clarify the meaning of her statements and how they were taken completely out of context. For me the first response to the article last week was some self-defending outrage at being a part of the group of people being pointed at and accused of whining and thinking ourselves entitled to scholarships. Many friends also expressed outrage at their comments, and I would nod my head sympathetically.

After a moment of thought, though, I was thinking along the lines of, Hey, maybe they're right. Maybe we do whine a lot. At least, I know I do. I'm not here to destroy the case for young men everywhere in Singapore who have been called whiners, but I think I need to be frank and admit that I am myself a gigantic whiner, at least. Just look through this blog's nearly two-year-long history and you'll find me whining about friends not joining me for lunch, cyclists who shouldn't cycle on pavements, advertisements in MRT stations that get on my nerves, and even now I'm whining about patients who ignore me when I talk to them, or start scolding me, and doctors who are rude to me on the phone when I'm just trying to do my job. I whine. And I think to myself, what's so bad about whining?

For starters, maybe it's just the word itself. Whine. It makes you think of spoilt, petulant children making awful noises that get on your nerves and make you want to slap them to shut them up. Goodness knows I've felt that way about some children and perhaps not want to have children for fear of having such irritating things around me, but that's not the point here. It has this connotation of making a big fuss over something small and insignificant. I think, self-deprecatingly, I would call my complaints "whining", but I don't think I'm being overtly irritating or making a mountain out of a molehill when I whine, or maybe I am and I'm not seeing it.

Face it, Singaporeans complain. It's what we do. Government wants to set up IR, complain. Oh no, what kind of message are we sending out children? Oh no, what if Singaporeans get addicted to gambling? Aiyoh, why do they want to charge us fifty dollars to enter the casino? Transport companies want to raise charges, complain. Philip Yeo calling Singaporean guys whiners, complain. Poor service in retail and dining, complain. Even in Medicine we do that. Change of name to Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, complain. We're never done complaining, because we're so molly-coddled by our government that we want everything to be perfect and wholesome and comfortable that we complain about anything that disrupts that sphere of protection against all things unpleasant and unwholesome.

I don't think complaining is a bad thing. At the very least it's a way of expressing one's own opinions. Better a person that complains than a person that meekly follows everything a higher authority tells him or her to do. Of course a person who will do something about a perceived flaw in the system shows initiative and the will to provoke change, but are all of us able to do that? I'm concerned that patients who have health problems need to stay in the hospital for 3 days because of the Vesak Day holiday before they can get a scan on Tuesday, but can I do anything to change that? Can even the senior doctors change that? What can we do, besides complaining about it and hoping it reaches some form of administration which probably won't do anything about it? It's the same with everything else. If you've seen the sheer inefficiency of how the military is run, you would complain too.

Basically we don't have to take things lying down when we aren't happy with it. It's a sign of having an opinion when we can raise our views about an issue and debate about it, and at the very least we have arguments to support our point and aren't just screaming irrationally. Even small things deserve debate, because small errors lead to big mistakes. It's ironic how people can vehemently reject the comments made by A*Star scholar Ms Chng and go on to rip information off her Friendster profile and quote essays she has written, and beseech other people to flame her and do other bad things. Isn't that being a little bit too petty for people who insist that they are not whiners? Why don't you stand up and prove that you're not a whiner, or in my case stand up and say I'm a whiner and support whining? Maybe I've been talking about the wrong thing all day and what the A*Star chairman means by whining is this immature slamming of people without rationally debating a point. Which I am myself guilty of quite often, and it's not pretty, definitely. Immaturity is very unbecoming.

One other point to note in this entire saga is how poor Ms Chng seems to have had her comments totally taken out of context after a phone interview with a Straits Times reporter. According to her clarification, she was quite clear and logical in the things she told the reporter, but the quote that was printed in last Sunday's Straits Times was quite the contrary. It was harsh, critical, inflammatory, all distilled from one short phone interview, and it's a good show of how some clever paraphrasing can evoke the worst reactions from people. It also makes me wonder when the Straits Times started publishing news like this to get people stirred up and even set up interviews to milk as much controversy from the issue as possible. I thought only The New Paper did that.

A lot of times I'm very hesitant about posting things like this on my blog, because basically I don't set up good arguments to support my point, and usually I'm very weak when it comes to arguing about anything, which is why I did awfully in GP. I tend to be a very subjective person who lets his emotions get the better of him, and when you strip all those emotions away, like I tried to do today, all you get is a very boring brain-dead me. So apologies if this essay was filled with loopholes as big as continents and jumped from point to point without much coherence or expansion of relevant points. I'm just writing for the fun of it, and for practice.

On to some surveys from plhu's blog:







Your Birthdate: October 2

Your birth on the 2nd day of the month adds a degree of emotion, sensitivity, and intuition to your life.
The 2 is a very social number allowing you to make friends easily and quickly.
Yet you are apt to have a rather nervous air in the company of a large group.

You have a warmhearted nature and emotional understanding that constantly seeks affection.
You are more prone than most to become depressed and moody, as emotions can turn inward and cause anxiety and mental turmoil.
It can be hard for you to bounce back to reality when depression sets in.


This one is really accurate which is why I decided I had to post it. Except the part on making friends easily and quickly, which is total rubbish, I am very nervous when it I am in a large group, and the depression part is spot on.




Star Wars Horoscope for Libra




You are on a lifelong pursuit of justice and determined to succeed.
You convey the art of persuasion through force.
You always display your supreme intelligence.
You have a great talent in obtaining balance between yourself and your surroundings.

Star wars character you are most like: Obi Wan Kenobi


I'm Obi-Wan! The rest is all rubbish. Lifelong pursuit of justice? What, big purple robot with jet-pack? But Obi-Wan!

And ARGH, this is the reason why I suddenly want to play The Sims 2. Just click on the links, it should be quite entertaining. Harry Potter readers will appreciate it more, though.

Avaris / 5/22/2005 02:41:00 PM

0 consumed