Tuesday, May 31, 2005
On the high seas
The main article in the Digital Life section of the Straits Times today is totally frightening. Not because of the facts it presents on the number of young people who happily download illegal music and files off the Internet, but because of the boldness these people took in admitting to their illegal acts and that they would not stop until all sources were taken off the net. Like hello, are you all mad?
I'm sure if I managed to steal something from a shopping centre today I'd come home and proudly blog about my shoplifting exploits. I'm sure that would not invite the police to come knocking on our door. I'm sure I feel safe and comfortable telling the world about it because I'm hidden by anonymity (well I'm not, but this is just an example). How incredibly asinine can people get? Just when we were all happily pirating with the government closing one eye and shutting the other (as far as I can tell) these people start boasting about the amount of files they download and are totally unrepentant about it. If this is not the largest invitation for the government to start taking legal action against pirates, I don't know what is.
And now woe is me because the future looks bleaker than when they released those new IP laws at the start of the year. I hope this little rant doesn't establish me as a pirate, because, erm, I don't support piracy. (Ouch my nose seems to be getting bigger)
Maybe it's just my patience growing thin over the past few days with the stress of putting up with people who are totally oblivious to the things they do that make you want to kill them, as well as the end-of-posting tests, but I'm getting really frustrated with people SMSing me questions that I really don't need to answer and expecting a reply that is ONE SMS. So I'm stingy. As CG-rep my phone bill has more than doubled in the last month and I really don't want it to go up any more so please don't expect me waste unnecessary SMSes like this. Also please call me at home whenever possible especially if you expect to talk for quite some time. I don't have free incoming. A very big thank you to all of you who are considerate enough to do so, and rest assured your efforts are greatly appreciated.
You might think I'm the Queen Bitch of the Universe, getting angry about little things, but I have better ways to spend my energy. When I'm angry it's usually about something I feel very strongly for, and when I need to say something to stop people from thinking they can do things the way they like and expect me to like it. When people shrug my anger off as a petty tantrum I'm obviously not very important to them, so I wonder why I find them so important to me that I can spend my energy being angry at them. Well, this is just a gross simplification. But that's my point.
[Edit] I need to thank everyone who's given me advice about the little problem I wrote about in the last post, because I realise that it is mostly narrow-mindedness on my part and is really quite silly. I should stop acting like I'm 15 or something.
Avaris / 5/31/2005 02:57:00 PM
0 consumed