Wednesday, August 17, 2005
Knot happy
Just to inform you people, the music section on this site is down temporarily, due to unforseen complications. Yes, you must have been feeling weird, visiting this site and not having some annoying tune in your ear. You might even be happier. I don't think I can leave it down permanently, though,
because I'm evil and I like torturing your tympanics. (I'm getting a little too carried away with the strikethrough text, bleh)
I wanted to go back to hospital to clerk patients on Saturday, but wasn't feeling very well when I woke up in the morning. Stuffed nose, horribly swollen dry throat, headache. I suspect I caught it from the doctors in Ward 55, who have been taking turns coughing and sniffling daily. Part of the blame goes to joss paper-burning activities at my void deck, which though tolerable most times, is horrid when you have URTI. Thus I spent the weekend languishing in bed feeling miserable. I had no idea I could actually sleep that much, but I did. And Borders was having a 30% discount on all full-priced books with the coupon in Straits Times, but I was also too malaise-d to get myself something to eat, let alone go all the way to Orchard.
Monday was an exercise in more non-work-doing. Ward rounds as usual with Prof Lee, but they weren't very productive, mainly because the patients were all the same, and Prof, rather strangely was talking very softly the whole day and I couldn't hear most of what he was telling the registrar, MO and HO. I suspect I was also too zonked out by antihistamines to use my brain. The weather was also highly intolerable, being very very hot and humid. I wish it'd just rain. I've been wishing for rain for at least 4 days, and it still hasn't rained at all, despite there being dark clouds in the sky in the late afternoons. Bleh. I'm going to die for my test if the weather is going to remain this hot. Changi is like a furnace.
Anyway because I was feeling unwell and it was disgustingly hot in NUH I decided to go home early. Even all the patients were somnolent because of the weather. I left at 2 and then popped by Orchard to take a look in Borders, because I haven't been there since the HBP was released. Amusingly enough they're still using Harry Potter books to make walls in Borders and Kino, like with OotP, and I wonder if the books will end up going at special prices of $7.95 two years from now. Shouldn't they learn from their mistakes and take in less books?
In Borders I found that Janny Wurts' new book in the Wars of Light and Shadow series, Traitor's Knot, had finally been brought in. It was the hardcover version though, and cost 50 bucks. Woe. I felt traumatised by the thought that if I had only gone to Borders on Sunday I could have bought the book for 35 dollars. Consequently I was in a pretty bad mood, but I went over to Kino anyway, to see if they had also brought it in. Herein lies the delightful part of this story, because at Kino, I found that they had the paperback version of Traitor's Knot, which cost only 21 dollars! I Was all excited and gleeful, and immediately bought the book. Well, not immediately, I actually went to get a card for our main tutor at NUH before going back to Kino to buy the book. Finally, after 8 months of waiting, I have my hands on Traitor's Knot! But I can't read it until after my posting test, bleh.
Janny Wurts fans of Singapore, go get the book!
ETA After Wee Ming taught me the
proper way to play Minesweeper (because who would know about the double-button-clicking thing? It's so non-intuitive!) I'm now a gigantic Minesweeper addict, but I'm not very good la. I'm still working on Intermediate level. And it's so much more fun than Solitaire, because you actually have a better chance of winning. Hurray Minesweeper, for 15 minute-long episodes of ecstatic mind-exercising fun.
Okay, I should go back to studying now. More like sleeping; my eyelids feel heavy everytime I peer into Talley and O'Connor. Even the thought of it makes me sleepy. Wish me luck for my test tomorrow, and may I not get a neuro case.
Avaris / 8/17/2005 02:22:00 PM
0 consumed