CONSUMED. by avaris
Some men make fortunes, but not to enjoy them; for, consumed by avarice, they live to make fortunes

[ about ]

"Tout le monde voit, peu de personnes savent observer - All the world sees, but few truly observe"



[ gallery ]

Shoot for the Future

My Flickr Photos



[ links ]

Sinfest
MIMS Online
UpToDate
It's A Zoo Out There
Mr Wang Says So
theonlinecitizen
Yawning Bread



[ friends' blogs ]

13 hours to love
alvin
belinda
CG
cheesie
cover me in ashes
elpis
gfmozart
jack
jiabin
jonnybaby
lvacation
mezza
plhu
raphael
raymond
w33mz
xiuling
xueling



[ archives ]


September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
September 2008
November 2008
January 2009
February 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
September 2010
October 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
November 2011
December 2011
April 2012
June 2012
July 2012
February 2014
June 2014
July 2014
October 2014
December 2014
March 2015
June 2015
October 2015
December 2015
March 2016




[ current read ]

The Emperor of All Maladies
A Biography of Cancer

(Siddharta Mukherjee)




[ current anime ]

---


Thursday, August 04, 2005

Melts into pools of fangirly bliss

It's been a long time ever since I posted something new on this site. Blame it all on the guilt complex: I keep feeling immeasurably guilty for not doing enough reading up for the Medicine posting (and I really haven't done anything at all despite feeling bad, which is making me feel worse), and thus I have been trying to reduce the amount of time I spend on the computer, the only result of that being that I spend more time watching television, sleeping and reading fiction. Drat. I am so going to fail my end-of-posting test. I'm actually really afraid, you know, I'm not just saying it.

Anyway, to explain why my post title is what it is, besides the fact that I'm an attention-craving ditz, is because Dr. RW, the nicest doctor on Earth, waved to me along the corridor yesterday! YESYESYESYESYES. I was so pleasantly surprised that he remembers me (okay, I would have been disappointed if he hadn't remembered me even after two night calls with him, but whee, he waved at me!) that my pulse and respiratory rates shot up like crazy. I heart Dr. RW. But you don't need to hear me gushing madly, do you now?

Some doctors are so annoying. Today we had tutorials in W64 as usual and I was getting a chair from one of the ward cubicles into the resident's room to sit on during the tutorial, and just a few moments later the sister of the ward peeks in (and I, in a manner that suggests inappropriate friendliness, chirped "Hi, sister" for no particular reason; must have been possessed) to tell me that a certain registrar is "very upset" that I took the chair from the ward, because "what if the patient needs the chair?". Okay, that's a valid point. But the sister looked pretty annoyed that she was made to carry the message for the doctor, and so am I. If he's unhappy with me, why can't he come and tell me about it? As if he's so much busier than the sister. I think at the end of the NUH posting I have compiled two lists: Doctors I love and Doctors I hate. Thank goodness the first list is a lot longer than the second.

A close friend pointed out to me just the other day that I PMS so much, it's a wonder I don't leave stains all over the place. Thanks so much. I shall try not to kill anyone. But the truth is that I've been exceptionally grumpy this week, for no discernible reason really. It's really annoying when you have to face someone who is as neurotic as you, and whose neuroses make your own neuroses go crazy. It's really really annoying, and I don't know how I'm going to keep putting up with it, but I have to, don't I. And I'm a horrible person, I am.

I am totally impressed and amazed by people who manage to keep a brave face amongst crushing defeats in life, and continue putting their dedication into everything they do, instead of sitting around moping and despairing. Myself, I'm more likely to fall into the second group. Notice how much whining I do every day? It takes considerable strength of character to be able to face something so terribly disheartening and still go on putting your all into life, and when you meet such people you just think, Wow, I wish I had that strength. And you know they will succeed in life eventually, and in a big way, too, no matter how many defeats they might have to endure.

Our national day nears, and somehow it feels that celebrations this year are somewhat muted, though they are supposed to be rather big, because this is our 40th year of independence (I don't see how the number 40 has any particular significance, except the first digit being unlucky in Cantonese, but whatever). I haven't seen much of any National Day songs on television, which perhaps is a good thing, because I dread getting those catchy songs trapped in my head and refusing to depart. But I remember the days when I was in primary school, and would sing along with NDay songs as they played on the television. How things have changed, indeed. I think this year's NDay song is not very good though. It's just not catchy enough, and the tune is not one that is easy to remember. It sounds exactly like the kind of song that will go horridly off-key when crowds of people attempt to sing it after having tried only once or twice to sing it before. It doesn't help that it's a duet between two singers who use different keys, which is doubly confusing.

I don't even see many flags hanging at flats around Singapore, besides those that are hung up by the Residents' Committees to make a show of patriotism and celebration. And I am reminded of a classmate in junior college who would muse aloud, to our endless amusement, about how the many old flags he has at home are used for various purposes that your RC would tell you not to use for flag for. How I miss those irreverent discussions. And you think, how sad it is when National Day approaches and the RCs have to go around hanging up flags on behalf of residents, because otherwise only a handful would put theirs out. And to have them needing to remind Singaporeans of how not to hang up flags is sad as well.

For the record, my family never hangs up flags. Ask my father why, and you get a nice colourful answer.

A Harry Potter pseudo-prediction meme thingey, from grrliz:
1. Snape killed Dumbledore because ... Dumbledore made him do it, and he was dying anyway. I still believe in Snape, no matter what.
2. Harry and Ginny ... will break up, duh. I think both will be rather mature about it, but I'll possibly be miffed by Harry's "I cannot be with you because that would put you in danger" blahblah.
3. R.A.B is ... most likely Regulus Black. Who is likely to play a significant part in book 7.
4. We didn't see too much of Voldemort because ... he's got Death Eaters like Fenrir to do his dirty jobs for him. And because it'd be somewhat distracting from his tedious little backstory in the Pensieve episodes.
5. Ron and Hermione ... will be even more sweetly together while feeling weird about it and bringing endless delight to readers while doing so.
6. Hogwarts will next year ... be open, with McGonagall as Headmistress, though I can't imagine another Headmaster other than Dumbledore. But even more unimaginable is Hogwarts being closed.
7. Bill and Fleur ... are, yes, unfortunately, getting married. I thought Fleur would be put off a scarred Bill, so I'm impressed by her strength.
8. Snape being HBP is relevant because ... No, actually I thought it was most irrelevant.
9. The people who are disappearing are most likely to ... disappearing people? Who?
10. After reading HBP I felt extreme emotions of ... inability to believe that Snape might actually be pure evil. See point 1.
11. Fawkes didn't save Dumbledore because ... how? Anyway it would disrupt the balance of life and death, or some mumbojumbo like that which Dumbledore would be telling us about if he were still alive. Sigh.
12. The "mysterious" horcrux (Ravenclaw/Gryffindor) is in fact ... no idea.
13. The "R.A.B locket" is ... the one in Grimmauld Place, which has most likely been stolen by Mundungus.
14. Something that bugged me in HBP was ... the Half-Blood Prince. I have yet to see how it was relevant at all, except maybe being in some roundabout way a secret peek into Snape's brilliance at Potions and spell-inventing.
15. The best thing of the book is ... who else, Harry Potter. I thought the Ron/Hermione progression was quite delightful, barring descriptions of snogging and Lavender and whatever-his-name-was.

Avaris / 8/04/2005 08:31:00 PM

0 consumed