CONSUMED. by avaris
Some men make fortunes, but not to enjoy them; for, consumed by avarice, they live to make fortunes

[ about ]

"Tout le monde voit, peu de personnes savent observer - All the world sees, but few truly observe"



[ gallery ]

Shoot for the Future

My Flickr Photos



[ links ]

Sinfest
MIMS Online
UpToDate
It's A Zoo Out There
Mr Wang Says So
theonlinecitizen
Yawning Bread



[ friends' blogs ]

13 hours to love
alvin
belinda
CG
cheesie
cover me in ashes
elpis
gfmozart
jack
jiabin
jonnybaby
lvacation
mezza
plhu
raphael
raymond
w33mz
xiuling
xueling



[ archives ]


September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
September 2008
November 2008
January 2009
February 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
September 2010
October 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
November 2011
December 2011
April 2012
June 2012
July 2012
February 2014
June 2014
July 2014
October 2014
December 2014
March 2015
June 2015
October 2015
December 2015
March 2016




[ current read ]

The Emperor of All Maladies
A Biography of Cancer

(Siddharta Mukherjee)




[ current anime ]

---


Friday, August 12, 2005

Work isn't work when you're having fun

I just can't believe there's only one week of the Medicine posting left, and most of that week is going to be spent worrying about the end-of-posting test. I suppose I might be echoing the opinions of many others when I exclaim that the posting is far far too short to be even the most basic introduction to the intellectual delight and sheer complexity that is Internal Medicine. Oh, give another week and I'd be much happier. Give me two months and I'd do anything you asked of me. Medicine rocks more than Surgery!

Prof Evan Lee is amazing, as usual. It's times like this that I don't regret being posted to NUH, because some of the professors are really wonderful teachers. The only thing I feel sorry about is that I didn't make better use of the time I spent here to learn so much more than I already have. (ok, I'm going to stop the pontificating already) Anyway, Prof Lee has a bizarre sense of humour (yes, don't we all). At first it was all the wicked little barbs about the NKF: "Why don't you want to go for dialysis with the NKF? They've had a change of administration. *wry grin*" Then there was the weird joke about skeletal muscle: "Skeletal muscle, is like Cinderella. You know why? Because no one's interested in it." And just yesterday the MO Dr. J was explaining how a lady had urinary retention and they wanted to refer her to a urologist. Then Prof said, "Why uro? It's not likely to be a mechanical cause right? In the men there's a prostate, but in women the urethra is so short, how to be obstructed? This is more likely a neurological problem, correct? The urologist cannot tell you anything if it's a neurological problem, you know. The neurologist will know where all the wires are running. The urologist can only see the light bulbs." He's insanely funny.

But of course, while on rounds with him one is never left to stand around looking blur for long. I've become sort of the JVP checker on rounds, because Prof keeps asking me to check the JVP of patients, and he says something like, in the days before echocardiography and all the other fancy imaging methods, Prof Chia Boon Lock and people like him were able to look at a person's JVP and diagnose the person, just by noting the pulsations and dominant waveforms. "Nowadays, you ask a cardiologist to look for a JVP, and they might not be able to find it." But it's amazing, all the times I think I don't see a JVP and Prof comes over and shows me exactly where it is, even if it's just the tiniest flicker at one spot on the neck. There's really no replacement for just seeing patients every day, in terms of the amount of experience it adds. But Prof Lee has very high demands on medical students too, expecting us to clerk every new patient that comes in, and to follow patients from the time they are admitted to the time they get discharged, and even "I want you to tell me the occupational histories of all the patients in this ward on Monday, okay?".

I could go on forever about wonderful Prof Lee, but I'll stop because you'd get bored.

I got really annoyed today when I about to alight from the MRT, because this young lady who wanted to get on stood right in front of me, at the direct midpoint of the train doors. And I'm like, hello, can you have the basic decency to let me get out first? They don't paint yellow lines and arrows on the platform for show, or did you just not notice? It's doubly annoying because it was a young girl, about 20 plus, and I would really expect younger people to be better educated in public transport courtesy. Really, nothing gets me more annoyed than idiotic Singaporeans.

And then, when I get down to the bus interchange I have to endure being chased after by those frustratingly ubiquitous people taking surveys for insurance companies or whatnot. And it's like I always get picked on, no idea why. I don't mind taking the survey, okay, but I don't have time to spare on small talk, which is what these insurance agents always end up doing, asking what you're doing now, asking if you are interested in insurance, etc. And I don't bloody want insurance! Pardon the language. I suppose in some minute corner of my heart I feel some empathy for these people, because as medical students we're constantly hanging around sick people trying to invade their convalescence and probe into their private lives, and we also have to put up with people rejecting our attempts to talk to them. But I don't see how talking to insurance agents could possibly make any aspect of the world better.

In other news, I was idly scratching the dorsum of my left foot three days ago, and this entire chunk of skin came out. At first it just felt rather itchy, despite the skin having come off and it being red and raw. Then it started to swell, like alarmingly, and it hurt, like duh. And I was mildly worried that I might get cellulitis (I'm turning into a hypochondriac!), so I put a plaster on it to stop more icky stuff getting into the wound. Now it looks like there's a scab forming over it, and the swelling didn't like spread or anything, so I'm quite relieved. I still can't understand how I could have scratched the skin off, though. And okay, you didn't really need to know about a minor injury like that, but it's been taking up a considerable amount of my time, what with all the worrying. And the pain.

I think I should go to the wards tomorrow, just to make myself more familiar with the patients, otherwise Prof will kill me on Monday.

Avaris / 8/12/2005 07:58:00 PM

0 consumed