CONSUMED. by avaris
Some men make fortunes, but not to enjoy them; for, consumed by avarice, they live to make fortunes

[ about ]

"Tout le monde voit, peu de personnes savent observer - All the world sees, but few truly observe"



[ gallery ]

Shoot for the Future

My Flickr Photos



[ links ]

Sinfest
MIMS Online
UpToDate
It's A Zoo Out There
Mr Wang Says So
theonlinecitizen
Yawning Bread



[ friends' blogs ]

13 hours to love
alvin
belinda
CG
cheesie
cover me in ashes
elpis
gfmozart
jack
jiabin
jonnybaby
lvacation
mezza
plhu
raphael
raymond
w33mz
xiuling
xueling



[ archives ]


September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
September 2008
November 2008
January 2009
February 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
September 2010
October 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
November 2011
December 2011
April 2012
June 2012
July 2012
February 2014
June 2014
July 2014
October 2014
December 2014
March 2015
June 2015
October 2015
December 2015
March 2016




[ current read ]

The Emperor of All Maladies
A Biography of Cancer

(Siddharta Mukherjee)




[ current anime ]

---


Sunday, September 18, 2005

I need a break (not Kit Kat)

Okay, another post, because the last one was far too charged with negativity. As I said, it's just Richard Gere. Don't like his smug pleased-with-himself face.

There's a Chinese proverb that goes, One dreams of at night what one thinks of in the day (quoting Chinese proverbs feels really weird, like I'm writing a GP essay or something *goosebumps*). It's really disturbing and also a little irritating, but I keep getting medicine- (or surgery-) related dreams when I sleep. I was just describing to some friends the other day how I had a dream where I was watching the laparoscopic cholecystectomy of this middle-aged woman with gallstones, and somehow I saw this humongous mixed stone - all round and dirty yellow studded with spots of dark faceted pigment components - stuck in her common bile duct. And it's ridiculous because everyone knows you don't see the interior of the ducts during a laparoscopic cholecystectomy. And the night before that I dreamt of a man with intestinal obstruction, but I forgot the details of that dream. Maybe I should keep a record of these weird dreams - they could fill up a logbook of sorts. Yesterday night I didn't have a medicine-related dream, but I was watching the last episode of Pride and crying so much I couldn't breathe. More weirdness.

I strongly suspect that the weird dreams are adversely affecting my sleep cycle somehow, because every morning I wake up feeling like I've hardly slept enough throughout the night. It isn't a physical exhaustion, but more mental and emotional, like my body rests while my mind gets locked in endless dream loops and doesn't get a chance to settle down. And it's horrible, because this exhaustion is wreaking havoc on my ability to function on a daily basis: I get tired more easily, I forget to do things, I forget things that patients tell me, I keep losing focus and end up staring into space, especially during surgeries (because you can't see anything half the time anyway, unless you're standing right there operating). For four weeks now I've been feeling really out of it, and it's not like I like having weird dreams. I just don't know how to stop myself from dreaming so much. I just hope things get better, or the next four weeks will be really long for me. Sigh.

I forsee that somewhere in the future I'm going to really start regretting reading so little during the medicine and surgery postings, because I'm really lazy. Already I'm regretting not having a firm grasp of the year two subjects, because all the things I knew so well for the end-of-year-2 CAs and exams seem to have disappeared totally from my memory. The only things I can depend on are my basic anatomy and physiology which thankfully seem rather intact. Every time a surgeon asks me about surgical procedures I stare blankly at him (hmm, as an aside, notice how few female surgeons there are?), but when they ask anatomy questions, like about arterial branches, I can answer those questions. Just the other day a registrar asked me to list the boundaries of the inguinal canal over a herniorhaphy (I was quite miffed because he asked me to scrub up and didn't let me do anything) and I had to really dig up textbook images of the inguinal canal from my memory to answer him.

I sound very pleased with myself, huh. But yes, thank goodness for anat.

Am I alarmed that people have been caught for making racist comments online? Not really. It's really kind of stupid to think that one can really say what one wishes, to the point of making seditious remarks and encouraging violence and hatred against other races, and hope to get away with it, no matter how much anonymity the internet can provide. Some weeks ago I chanced upon a link to the blog of the third guy who was arrested, the private school student, and the stuff he was writing there was disgusting, so much so that I felt nauseated after reading it. I couldn't believe that there were people in Singapore who could hate malays so much that they could write such horrible things. I mean, me, I'm known to make some jokes once in a while that are racially-inclined, but I'd never go so far as to say I hate all members of a race. Like, hello, that's just illogical. If I dislike someone, I'd think his or her race isn't a significant factor.

All that said, I'm a little worried, not because of anything racist I've posted on my blog (I'm quite confident that I haven't), but because I've posted other objectionable things, namely criticism of the G. But I'd die if I try trawling through all my previous posts (all 217!) attempting to clean up.

I was reading a column in Sunday Times this morning, by Janadas Devan, and he was lamenting the prevalence of the habit of using "like" ubiquitously and inappropriately in speech by young people nowadays. Example: "I was, like, going to the toilet, when I, like, knocked my knee on a chair, and that was, like, so painful. Like, OUCH!" It's amazing how prevalent this habit has become, and how insidious it's progress, because who can say when it began, and yet now almost everyone uses it when they speak. It's almost become a natural component of speech, and I think if I actually tried to not use the word inappropriately, I wouldn't be able to get as far as three sentences. It's, like, a scary thought.

I finally finished reading Traitor's Knot (I think my reading speed is on a drastic decline, but I try to deceive myself by thinking that it's because I want to savour every word of the book), and it's just so so good. I read a review on Amazon that applauds Janny Wurts' talent, but says that while she's a fantastic writer, she's not a very good storyteller. That's true. She writes beautifully, and sometimes I'm just struck dumb by her prodigious talent at using language, but the plot is sometimes not very clearly defined, and only hinted at through subtle conversation and emotions. Thus, a lot of the time, you go through some parts reading characters' conversations about something they all seem to know by virtue of some inner conclusion they've come to, and yet you don't. It can get irritating, but the overall book is so good it makes up for the vague parts. I can't wait for the next instalment, but that's probably going to take a few more years. Sigh.

Haro^2Tori^2 haven't released a GSD fansub ever since Phase 44! I don't know if I should wait any longer or just get fansubs from another fansub group. I don't want to be sitting around still waiting when everyone's watched the last ep.

Avaris / 9/18/2005 07:04:00 PM

0 consumed