CONSUMED. by avaris
Some men make fortunes, but not to enjoy them; for, consumed by avarice, they live to make fortunes

[ about ]

"Tout le monde voit, peu de personnes savent observer - All the world sees, but few truly observe"



[ gallery ]

Shoot for the Future

My Flickr Photos



[ links ]

Sinfest
MIMS Online
UpToDate
It's A Zoo Out There
Mr Wang Says So
theonlinecitizen
Yawning Bread



[ friends' blogs ]

13 hours to love
alvin
belinda
CG
cheesie
cover me in ashes
elpis
gfmozart
jack
jiabin
jonnybaby
lvacation
mezza
plhu
raphael
raymond
w33mz
xiuling
xueling



[ archives ]


September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
September 2008
November 2008
January 2009
February 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
September 2010
October 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
November 2011
December 2011
April 2012
June 2012
July 2012
February 2014
June 2014
July 2014
October 2014
December 2014
March 2015
June 2015
October 2015
December 2015
March 2016




[ current read ]

The Emperor of All Maladies
A Biography of Cancer

(Siddharta Mukherjee)




[ current anime ]

---


Thursday, November 03, 2005

Mad, sad, glad

Yeah, I know. One update in a forthnight is really miserable. It appears I have descended to new lows of procrastination. I had wanted to blog long ago, but there always seemed to be more important things to do.

Quite surprisingly I'm in a lousy mood right now, because I haven't had such marked mood swings for a really long time, and I don't even know what precipitated these new episodes. Suffice it to say I wake up in the morning feeling tired, then in the afternoon I feel like I can't last until the end of the day, and I'm on the verge of breaking up into tiny hysterical shrieking bits, then in the evening I somehow turn cheerful again. Argh, I wish they'd go away. I wish I wouldn't be so bothered by little things. It just all seems incredibly silly and yet when I'm suffering the misery is real. Hopefully it's just another of those things that goes away quickly.

I wish I had time to read fiction, what with all the new books being released this time of year. The long-awaited new instalment in George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series, A Feast for Crows, just got released (after being slated for release ever since 2002 or something and was delayed a million times), and it looks like a good whopper of a book, but I find that I can't really remember much of the story, only some names. Bleh. And, after buying Robert Jordan's Knife of Dreams (at a remarkably good price of 25 dollars) I still haven't gotten around to reading it, because I have no idea what's going on now. Double bleh. Added to that is my urge to re-read Goblet of Fire because the movie's coming out. Maybe I shouldn't, comparing the movies to the books always makes the movies seem like crap.

2 weeks into the Paeds posting at NUH, and it's been pretty enjoyable so far. Fortunately kids aren't as annoying as I made them out to be, especially babies, and so far I haven't felt like smacking any misbehaving tots yet. We've got some really good tutors, and though the first week being attached to the renal ward was quite a shock, with bizarre cases like VACTERL associations, Denys Drash syndrome and Potter sequence, I've learnt a lot so far. It's strange when I think that I did my Medicine posting in NUH and now am doing the Paeds one here as well, but I find that I'm only really learning Medicine now. Paeds is such a stimulating posting. Except I'm too darn lazy to read up, even with the double holiday this week. Another problem in NUH is that overclerking is a very real problem, because there are so few patients (we estimated about one patient to each student), but so far most parents and kids seem quite happy repeating their stories for multiple groups of students, thankfully.

A survey from plhu's site, because it has interesting questions:

1. What foods did you hate as a kid but love now?
Lots of stuff. I was rather picky as a child, and I'm still picky now, but less so. The first food that comes to mind is pig liver. I used to hate the mushy texture of liver, but it's actually pretty good. Half-boiled eggs, too.

2. Ham or turkey at Christmas and Easter?
Probably turkey, because ham is boring. Turkey is too, but less boring than ham. I love bacon, but that's totally unrelated.

3. What family recipes have been handed down to you, and have you tweaked any of them a little bit to make them more yours?
None. It's not like I know how to cook, you know. Heh.

4. Would you consider yourself an organized person? Why or why not?
I suppose I like organisation, but I'm not organised like organised people would be organised, simply because I'm too darn lazy to keep it up all the time. I'm somewhere between organised people and unorganised people.

5. Do you keep some type of planner, organizer, calendar, etc. with you, and do you use it regularly?
No I don't. I used to subscribe to the illusion that as long as I bought/acquired one and carried it around I'd use it eventually, but as usual laziness won. I depend on my memory a lot more.

6. Would you say that your desk is organized right now?
It's not a mess, and I know where everything is, but it's not exactly organised either. There are too many books and notes and not enough space.

7. Do you alphabetize CDs, books, and DVDs, or does it not matter?
I categorise, but not alphabetise. I once toyed with the idea of spine-labelling all my books, but it would have been too freaky.

8. What's the hardest thing you've ever had to organize?
Organise, as in organise an event, or organise to make neater? I haven't organised many events, so I won't talk about that, but as for the latter, probably my old books from JC and secondary school, because I couldn't bear to throw anything away.

9. What was the last TV show you watched?
I didn't watch television today or yesterday, but on Tuesday evening I watched half of Trick 2, that Japanese drama on Channel U. Plot isn't anything fantastic (in fact I didn't understand the uncovering of the scam part at all, but the girl character is quite funny).

10. What was the last thing you complained about?
My barber cutting my hair too short. Which I really can't complain about, because I asked him to cut it short so I don't have to visit him so often. (But not so short!)

11. Who was the last person you complimented and what did you say?
How can I remember such things?

12. What was the last thing you threw away?
Tissue paper? I use and throw away dozens of tissue paper every day.

13. What was the last website that you visited?
Shinsen-Subs, to download Trinity Blood subs.

14. Do you like talking on the phone? Why or why not?
Not really, though I don't mind. Most times I find that I don't talk very much on the phone. Which is strange, really, considering that when I was in primary school I'd spend long periods of time on the phone talking to my friend, but as the years went by I got less and less talkative. I can still spend hours on the phone, but it's mostly the other party doing the talking (right, ZF?).

15. Who is the last person you talked to on the phone?
Hope, probably. I called him yesterday because we were meeting up to celebrate Jon Chia's birthday.

16. About how many telephones do you have at home?
One in the living room only, because we hate being woken up by phone calls (even if they are emergency ones).

17. Would you rather pick up the phone and call someone or write them an e-mail or a letter? Why or why not?
Depends on who the person is. If it's a friend, unfortunately I prefer using MSN or SMS, how impersonal. I usually only call people when I need immediate replies about stuff.

18. What is one thing you don't like about your body?
Probably my lips. They're too thick, and I used to be called Donald Duck by my relatives when I was a kid because of those lips.

19. What are two things you love about your body?
Fingers (all ten of them). And.. probably that I have a fair skin colour. I wouldn't say I love those things, but they're the two things I don't wish I didn't have better (ouch double negatives). Haha.

20. What are three things you want to change about your home?
I wish the sun wouldn't shine straight into my room when it's setting, because it makes the room hell to be in in the late afternoon, and makes the walls radiate heat like oven walls at night. Other than that I quite like my home, I'm not lying.

21. What are four books you want to read this year?
They're all there in the lower left corner of my blog! And there are four of them too, how neat.

22. What are five promises you have kept to yourself?
I can't remember, seriously. It's not like I verbalise promises to myself and then take a mental note when I keep them. Most promises tend to be long term anyway, so it's not possible to determine whether or not I've kept them. (Or does this question mean, kept to yourself, like a secret? In that case why would I write them down?)

23. What's the last vivid dream that you remember having?
I dreamt I was suffering from BPH and kept having a full bladder despite going to the toilet countless times. Then I woke up and realised I just had a really full bladder. Heh. What a silly dream.

24. Do you have any recurring dreams?
Not that I can remember, no.

25. What's the scariest nightmare you've ever had?
I used to have this really bizarre dream when I was younger, of some kind of water-containing vessel being filled completely to the brim with water, and then this one drop of water falls in and the water all overflows, and being irrationally afraid and hysterical when I woke up. No idea why.

26. Have you ever written your dreams down or considered it? Why or why not?
Yes, of course, I do it occasionally in this blog. Just for fun, I suppose.

27. What colour is your bedsheet?
Cerulean blue and chrome yellow. It's a Tweety bedsheet, haha.

28. What colour are your pajamas?
I don't wear pajamas, but black track pants with a T-shirt and a dark blue sweater. (Some people think it's dumb to make the room cold and then wear warm clothes and huddle under a quilt, but I love it.)

29. What sound do you wake up to most mornings?
My mom turning off the air-conditioner?

30. What is the last thing you do before turning off the lights to go to sleep at night?
Take off my glasses. How boring.

31. What do you see from your bedroom window?
Some terrace houses and bungalows, and lots of nice scenery, because there aren't any flats blocking the view.

32. What makes you homesick?
Thinking about my mother, I guess, mostly.

33. Where is "home" for you?
My house. My bed. My mother's cooking.

34. What makes it home for you? People? Things?
People and things. It's the feeling of being surrounded by a familiar environment and people you can share private moments with.

35. Where is the furthest you've been from home, miles-wise?
Victoria, Australia. That was on a Humanities field-trip in Sec Three, and I've never been to another country further than that.

Avaris / 11/03/2005 01:24:00 PM

0 consumed