Friday, April 07, 2006
When lacking in content, a good meme always helps
Haven't updated in quite a while, as usual; at this rate you'll only see one post per month if you're lucky, and I do feel rather sad about posting so rarely. I attribute it partly to my absolute need to have something substantial to post, because with my blog layout just two short paragraphs looks really short, and it disturbs me to no end to see a short post. That's my obsessive-compulsive trait speaking, haha.
Three weeks of Psychological Medicine posting have passed, and to be positive about things, it's been quite interesting to see the kinds of patients that are managed by psychiatrists. Sometimes not very different from me and you, really, and it's rather scary to think that any of us may be in that position, but perhaps it's the same with all diseases. Most of the time I have a nagging worry that I might be quite prone to mental illness, because of my character traits. But oh well, no use worrying about something that might not happen - to quote a psychiatrist: "If you worry and worry, and in the end you don't develop [postnatal depression], then you'll have wasted your worrying. And if you do get it, all your worrying won't help you anyway." The principle behind it sounds rather iffy, but it's something nice to tell your patients I guess.
TTSH has a really good teaching programme, but 3 hour-long tutorials every morning gets rather scary after a while, except when it's Dr NC doing them. He's very engaging, funny, and cute, and he's everyone's favourite tutor, I dare say. I think TTSH is fast becoming my favourite hospital ever, not there's many to choose from anyway. Anyway I don't think I'm particularly interested in psychiatry; for me it's the most uninteresting posting since clinical years started (I know lots of people disagree, but I just find it not that fascinating). It got so boring I had a little bout of depressive symptoms, which was really quite bad because I just couldn't find the energy to read up, or stay and clerk patients, or even to get to the hospital in the morning, and I felt like a completely useless wreck. But it's better now, maybe it was lack of sleep, who knows.
Erm I can't think of very much else to write, goodness, and it's KILLING ME to contemplate stopping here. To fill space, here's a fun meme.
A Wikipedia birthday meme:Go to
Wikipedia and look up your birthday (excluding the year). List three neat facts, two births and one death in your journal, including the year.
Three Events01. 1836 - Naturalist Charles Darwin returns to Falmouth, England aboard the HMS Beagle after a five-year journey collecting biological data he will later use to develop his theory of evolution.
02. 1996 - Lance Armstrong is diagnosed with testicular cancer that spreads to his liver, lungs, and brain.
03. 2001 - First palindromic MM-DD-YYYY date since August 31, 1380.
Two Births01. 1869 - Mahatma Gandhi, Indian political leader, Father of the Nation (d. 1948)
02. 1978 - Ayumi Hamasaki, Japanese singer (I knew this a long time ago, but all the same, DESTINY!)
One Death01. 1987 - Peter Medawar, Brazilian-born scientist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (b. 1915)
Interestingly, most of the people born on my birthday in the 20th century are either singers, songwriters, artists, or athletes. Hmm. I'm suddenly reminded of the time I did the 16 Personality Factor test in JC and it said the most suitable occupation for my personality was a fashion designer *horrors*
Do the meme, it's quite fascinating. ^____^
I CAN'T WAIT FOR EMED.
Avaris / 4/07/2006 07:03:00 PM
0 consumed