Sunday, July 02, 2006
We have liftoff
Nice lazy Sunday; I spent most of the day finishing Knife of Dreams (Book 11 of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time), and darn, it's good. I had to read books 9 and 10 during the hols in order to start on KoD because I had forgotten most of the story arcs, and with Robert Jordan there are an insane number of arcs and characters to keep track of. It's a good thing I managed to finish before Emed starts, because there certainly won't be time for leisurely reading then. As always happens after reading a good fantasy book, I can't wait to read the next one, and though Robert Jordan says book 12 is going to be the last volume in the series, even if it has to be 2000 pages long (!!), the sheer length sets the optimistic estimate of the date of completion in 2008, which is a really long time away. Sigh. What can a fantasy fan do to survive these days.
On the bright side, I've found a nice website with detailed chapter summaries of all the Wheel of Time books, and also other neat things like character descriptions and listings of where they appear in the books and what they do. I'm going to spend a lot of time trawling through that, and hopefully it'll keep me occupied for a while, heh.
Was tagged by plhu for an interesting meme/survey thingey, which I really can't resist, so here it is:
10 FavoritesFavorite Color: I really prefer colour combinations rather than a particular colour, but the colour of the moment is cream.
Favorite Food: Crystal Jade xiao long bao. Divine.
Favorite Song: I can't decide. The Nat King Cole song LOVE is stuck in my head.
Favorite Movie: The Land Before Time, considering I've watched it at least 20 times.
Favorite Sport: Badminton, since it involves little exertion. But generally I detest sport, obviously. Badminton is just less detestable.
Favorite Season: No real experience of what seasons are like, but I think autumn is lovely.
Favourite Day Of the Week: I like Mondays, quite surprisingly. Start of the week is always fresh.
Favorite Ice Cream Flavor: New Zealand Natural's Choc Fudge Brownie. Because it like has CHUNKS of brownie embedded within. Yes, drool.
9 CurrentCurrent Mood: Slightly frustrated, thinking of the wait for the next WoT book, and also because my downloads are not moving.
Current Taste: Conservative? Haha.
Clothes: T-shirt and shorts.
Current Desktop: House M.D. wallpaper.
Current Toenail Color: It's a little purplish looking due to the air-conditioning. And there's air-conditioning because it's insanely hot without.
Current Time: 1 minute before 6 p.m.
Current Surroundings: My room.
Current Annoyance(s): That my downloads moving so slowly they might as well be going backwards.
Current Thought: After I finish this survey I'm going to go to the toilet.
8 FirstsFirst Best Friend: I guess it should be SY, she lived one floor below me and we took the schoolbus together. I can't even remember if we were in the same class in Primary One, though I'm sure we were after P3.
First Crush: Erm. Can't remember, haha.
First Movie: I can't remember the first movie I watched in the cinema, but it was when I was pretty old. Free Willy or Fern Gully. And it was my aunt who brought me too, I can count on one hand (okay, maybe two) the number of times my parents have been to the movies with me.
First Piercing: I don't have any piercings. I can do a pretty good piercing scream though.
First Lie: I've been lying ever since I can remember, not for malicious reasons but to suit my convenience (makes me sound scheming) a.k.a. white lies. I suck at lying though.
First Music: There was this cassette tape of nursery rhymes that I loved listening to on end for a long time, until it mysteriously disappeared. Sigh. I liked the one that goes "Wander-ee, Wander-aa, My knapsack on my back".
First Car: A toy one, obviously. I've never driven a car.
7 LastsLast Drink: Water? Or maybe the milk I had with some pecan, prune and raisin cereal I had for afternoon tea. Glutton, thy name is avaris. (That's rather amusing)
Last Car Ride: When we took a cab back home after breakfast, does that count?
Last Crush: Erm. I'd rather not say.
Last Movie Seen: Cars.
Last Phone Call: I called my surgical elective tutor on Friday to arrange a meeting so I could collect our reports.
Last CD Played: I hardly play CDs anymore, with the wonder that is iTunes and the Internet, but I just finished downloading the Da Chang Jin soundtrack yesterday, if that counts.
6 Have You EversHave You Ever Dated One Of Your Best Friends: No, never dated.
Have You Ever Broken the Law: Certainly, things like littering or jaywalking.
Have You Ever Been Arrested: Nope.
Have You Ever Skinny Dipped: No.
Have You Ever Been on TV: No.
Have You Ever Kissed Someone You Didn’t Know: No. That would be quite scary.
5 things you’re wearing.1. Spectacles.
2. T-shirt.
3. Shorts.
4. Undergarments.
5. An exasperated expression on my face (Tell me how many guys wear 5 items of clothing at any one time!?)
4 things you’ve done today. (besides the routine things like showering, brushing teeth)
1. Have breakfast at this market at Circuit Road.
2. Read yesterday's and today's newspapers.
3. Finished Knife of Dreams, yay.
4. I guess blogging should count.
3 things you can hear right now.1. The awfully loud whirring noise my CPU makes.
2. The keys clacking as I type this.
3. My dad changing the water in the fishtank outside (random sloshing noises are audible).
2 things you can’t live without.1. Sleep. (How boring, but it's true)
2. I guess I could live for a few days without access to the Internet, but after that I'd suffer serious withdrawal symptoms.
1 thing you do when you’re bored.1. Channel-surf. The wonders of having cable, heh.
Tagging anyone else who can't resist memes, which aren't many actually.
Avaris / 7/02/2006 06:24:00 PM
0 consumed