CONSUMED. by avaris
Some men make fortunes, but not to enjoy them; for, consumed by avarice, they live to make fortunes

[ about ]

"Tout le monde voit, peu de personnes savent observer - All the world sees, but few truly observe"



[ gallery ]

Shoot for the Future

My Flickr Photos



[ links ]

Sinfest
MIMS Online
UpToDate
It's A Zoo Out There
Mr Wang Says So
theonlinecitizen
Yawning Bread



[ friends' blogs ]

13 hours to love
alvin
belinda
CG
cheesie
cover me in ashes
elpis
gfmozart
jack
jiabin
jonnybaby
lvacation
mezza
plhu
raphael
raymond
w33mz
xiuling
xueling



[ archives ]


September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
September 2008
November 2008
January 2009
February 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
September 2010
October 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
November 2011
December 2011
April 2012
June 2012
July 2012
February 2014
June 2014
July 2014
October 2014
December 2014
March 2015
June 2015
October 2015
December 2015
March 2016




[ current read ]

The Emperor of All Maladies
A Biography of Cancer

(Siddharta Mukherjee)




[ current anime ]

---


Sunday, December 24, 2006

In which there is a mishmash of random weird facts that will not interest you

Just a random collection of musings because I'm too lazy to blog separately; it's more convenient to wait until the amount of information you have to put into your blog reaches a critical mass and then let it all out at one go, sieving out the not-so-interesting information. Haha, the metaphor could be applied to bowel movement as well, but let's not go there.


Something quite strange happened on Thursday morning; I awoke from a dream feeling incredibly elated and content, for some strange reason. What faint memories I had of the dream involved me getting into a taxi (before this event of getting into a taxi was some inane and improbable preamble of how I left SGH and took an MRT to Tanjong Pagar only to realise I should go back to SGH, because apparently I shouldn't have left.. yes, what in the world am I dreaming?). It was a silver Mercedes taxi, but the important thing was the driver was a guy who looked a lot like Steven Chia (my favourite CNA newscaster who does Primetime Morning with Suzanne Jung) - the weird thing was that I saw him on the MRT, but that's not important. And by some bizarre workings that only occur in dreams, we talked. It felt like a real conversation, like we could talk forever about everything and never stop, like he really understood what I wanted to say, even though I am habitually verbally handicapped when it comes to accurately expressing myself. And it felt awesome, this sense of being able to converse with someone.

I know, this sounds like I've gone kabonkers and taken a trip into lala-land. Trust me to get high on talking. Perhaps I'm just deprived of good company; goodness knows it's been ages since I last had a conversation that I enjoyed, which lasted longer than a few minutes, which wasn't carried out on MSN, which went deeper than random chitchat. Sigh. I miss the times when I was younger, when I could talk for ages to a close friend over the phone, or face to face, and never run out of things to say. Now, I feel like I can't hold a proper conversation any more, let alone expect someone else to engage me in enjoyable chatter. Oh well. Such is the dismal state of my life.


Perhaps that dream was a good omen of the day to come; I believe it was. I went out with some friends later that morning, for KTV at Marina Square Kbox. It's been ages since I last went KTV-ing (the last time was in June, was it?) and it was enjoyable to belt out songs I listen to every day - not much logic in that, but it's fun anyway. I have lousy endurance at KTV, though, and my throat dies after a couple of songs and I have to keep guzzling water or I can't sing any more. I think I have poor singing technique. Or I keep my cricothyroid so contracted to hit the high notes it goes into spasm haha. Not to mention the freezing temperatures they love to maintain in the KBox rooms - what's with that? You practically need to be dressed in winter wear to sing, and I did see several other people wearing fur-lined jackets, which was pretty amusing.

After KTV we went for Sakae teatime sushi buffet, my first time trying it out. I tend to stay away from buffets because they are usually rather expensive and I don't have the stomach for gorging on food, but the Sakae one is quite reasonably priced. Because it was from 3 to 6 pm, we managed to cover both lunch and dinner in one sitting (Kbox having run out of Kbox lunch sets, which is ridiculous), so it was good. After the meal I realised I didn't actually eat a lot of sushi, maybe only 7 or 8 plates, but I ordered quite a few side dishes like Agedashi Tofu and Chawanmushi so it added up to cost more than what I had to pay, so it was still worth it. Heh, such Singaporean thinking. We also spent the 3 hours gossiping about various people, and that was a lot of fun as well (yeah, wicked bitchy ol' me loves a good session of gossip) - I guess I could consider that as enjoyable conversation too haha.


Death Note is an amazing anime, possibly one of the best I've seen in a long time. I've been waiting for a long time, wondering when the anime would be created, ever since I saw some posts online about the manga. And of course the two-part movie version adds to the general hype around the whole franchise, if I could call it that. The anime is brilliantly drawn and feels really lifelike, and the suspense of each episode is so spine-tingling I get goosebumps watching. Not to mention the opening and ending themes are excellent; at least I like them very much and have been putting them on repeat play on my iTunes. Such a great anime, I have hopes that it will only get better. The movie falls behind in the dust compared to the anime; the actors just can't portray Light and L the way they should be, and the whole movie becomes a charade of sorts, two boys pretending to be genius teenagers but failing miserably. But I think the guy playing L is a little better than the one who plays Light. Then again I haven't read the manga so the anime may be giving me a wrong yardstick haha.

If only I had a Death Note of my own, how much fun that would be. Such an exciting notion, yet one that is relegated to the land of impossible fantasy.


A little bit disgruntled now because I had planned to go and get a certain something for someone but found out the shop that sells that thing isn't open today because it's Christmas eve. So I have to wait until Tuesday to get that thing. Luckily for me that thing isn't a Christmas present, haha. It's raining anyway, so I am even less inclined to leave the house. Now I can watch anime the whole afternoon, mwahaha.

Avaris / 12/24/2006 02:20:00 PM

0 consumed