Monday, February 26, 2007
The briefest of respites
Might as well blog while I'm lazing around fighting procrastination in the attempt to start studying Patho. I'm actually quite proud of the fact that I have cleared my table of O&G stuff (didn't want to see them and be reminded of bad things) and dug out all my Patho notes and books and recolonised my table with another pile of mugging material fit for nightmares. And I've also written out the patho topics in an attempt to assign the amount of time I should spend studying each topic. Being rather ambitious I hope to finish studying everything once in 14 days, which certainly seems daunting, but better set a small time frame and exceed it than set it to exactly how many days I have left until the exams and then panic when I go slower than I planned.
But now I'm slacking because the mental inertia is so immense. And general patho is not entirely the best starter to a long stretch of reading. Sigh.
O&G over, and I wish I could be happy about it. I'm sort of relieved, but the posting didn't exactly end on a particularly good note with the horrible OSCEs. Not going to say much about it because almost everyone didn't have a very good experience and it's kind of insensitive to be going through all that again. After that we were all quite exhausted and dejected and didn't really feel like going out to play, but still ended up in Orchard for lunch at Vila'ge (I can't remember where the apostrophe is supposed to be so I randomly inserted it) at the Heeren. Not a bad lunch, the arrangement, food choices and prices are identical to Marche so I Wonder why Marche hasn't sued their pants off yet, but who really cares as long as the food is good. I had printed out a bunch of Borders 40%-off vouchers that I got in my email, but didn't use them in the end because the only book I wanted to buy was literally, the only book of its kind left on the shelf, and it was kind of tattered so I didn't think it worth buying. Yeah, got 40% discount still complain, so typically Singaporean.
Got home and vegetated in front of the computer, watched a few anime episodes of various series, and one episode of Lost. I really felt like a mindless blob. When I went to sleep it seemed that the trauma would not leave me alone and I kept going through station after OSCE station being grilled by examiners; just before I finally awoke from the nightmare I remember being asked about some vaginal discharge that seemed to be Trichomonas infection. It wasn't particularly amusing.
My grandmother got admitted to hospital on Saturday night because she was acutely confused and febrile and couldn't recognise anyone; turned out she had some kind of infection, probably a UTI. She's getting better, and actually managed to talk to my mom on the phone just now, so I'm glad for that. I found that it's quite a different experience being a visitor in the hospital and not being able to walk up to the case files and flip through them with impunity. It's quite stark, the feeling of not knowing anything about what was happening to your sick relative and yet not having anyone around to ask. It didn't help that my other relatives kept asking me what's going on and I couldn't give any definite answers. Suffice it to say yesterday was a pretty miserable day.
I have removed my comments box, and will think about setting up a new comments box system from some other provider like Haloscan, because this stupid enetation has been giving me so much trouble with their crappy system. First no one can leave comments because the system treats all of them, including me, as spam. Never mind that, it's supposed to be protective. But how is it that, if the system has a spam protection system, my comments boxes are being filled with weird spam messages? It's totally ridiculous and unaccountable. The only reason I had wanted to keep it was because comments on my previous posts are still archived on the system, but I think there's really no point in sitting around with what is basically a spam magnet. Sigh.
(EDIT: New comments box in, from Haloscan. Hopefully there'll be less problems with this one. Come and be heard, yon readers.)I'm newly addicted to the series Heroes, which airs on StarWorld (Starhub Channel 18) every Wednesday at 10pm (I'm not sure about the time because the first 3 eps were at 9pm then the 4th was at 10; not sure if that's just temporary). It's a pretty nice drama with a good concept and riveting writing. I thought it was getting kind of boring in episode 3 as the pace slackened, but then there was a big sort of high point in ep4 that got me all excited and tachycardic. I'm mad. My favourite character is really Hiro Nakamura, the Japanese office-worker who finds he has the ability to freeze time. He's so adorable and geeky, it's really endearing. I'm downloading the episodes (it's already up to episode 16 in the US) but they're not moving too quickly so I'll probably continue to watch it on television. In the end, though, I still think it can't beat Lost for being a great series. Most people probably think it's a waste of time to follow Lost and be led in circles, but I think the plot's really advancing and going somewhere, and the writing is still good, so I remain an avid fan.
Ending off with a little survey I got off Xiu Ling's LJ: (It's kind of accurate, but if I had a superpower I wouldn't want to be able to paint the future; there are certainly more exciting powers to be gifted with)
, you're now logged in!
Below you'll find your test result. After, continue on to your homescreen to discover what we're about.
Isaac Mendez You scored 33 Idealism, 50 Nonconformity, 54 Nerdiness |
I need painting supplies.Congratulations, you're Isaac Mendez! You're a talented, creative, artistic soul with a few demons you've been working to overcome. You are really passionate person and you are not afraid to express yourself or your emotions. Your best quality: Creativity and artistic talent. Your worst quality: A possibly addictive or indulgent personality |
 |
My test tracked 3 variables How you compared to other people your age and gender:
| You scored higher than 99% on Idealism | | You scored higher than 99% on Nonconformity | | You scored higher than 99% on Nerdiness |
|
Avaris / 2/26/2007 11:25:00 AM
0 consumed