CONSUMED. by avaris
Some men make fortunes, but not to enjoy them; for, consumed by avarice, they live to make fortunes

[ about ]

"Tout le monde voit, peu de personnes savent observer - All the world sees, but few truly observe"



[ gallery ]

Shoot for the Future

My Flickr Photos



[ links ]

Sinfest
MIMS Online
UpToDate
It's A Zoo Out There
Mr Wang Says So
theonlinecitizen
Yawning Bread



[ friends' blogs ]

13 hours to love
alvin
belinda
CG
cheesie
cover me in ashes
elpis
gfmozart
jack
jiabin
jonnybaby
lvacation
mezza
plhu
raphael
raymond
w33mz
xiuling
xueling



[ archives ]


September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
September 2008
November 2008
January 2009
February 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
September 2010
October 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
November 2011
December 2011
April 2012
June 2012
July 2012
February 2014
June 2014
July 2014
October 2014
December 2014
March 2015
June 2015
October 2015
December 2015
March 2016




[ current read ]

The Emperor of All Maladies
A Biography of Cancer

(Siddharta Mukherjee)




[ current anime ]

---


Friday, March 02, 2007

And time is not a friend (no friend of mine)

I'm kind of glad the weekend's here; this just felt like the longest week ever. And the next 2 weeks will just get even longer.

Spent the last 3 days studying in school, and I'm personally quite happy with the results. It's definitely a lot more productive (more so than at home) studying in the Science library (6th floor) where it's so quiet I feel embarrassed whenever I put my books on the table and they make thump noises that seem unnaturally loud. Not to mention the great view next to the window; these past few days I've been distracted quite a bit by watching the rain fall haha. Anyway the studying has been progressing at a faster rate that I've planned for, so that's a good thing, though surprising. Today I managed to study most of the important CVS topics when I had thought it would take 2 days. Perhaps it's due to the fact that, even though CVS takes up 70 pages of Mama Robbins, there are a lot of not-so-important topics in it like the cardiomyopathies and vasculitides (I doubt these are coming out, so if anyone thinks otherwise please do a good deed and let me know). Certainly the important topics in CVS are quite monstrous as they are.

I hit school usually around 8.30am and stay until about 4pm (because I can't stand getting caught in the peak hour crowd in the MRT, it drives me insane), which, after accounting for the lunch break and occasional I'm-not-going-to-fight-the-Z-monster naps makes for a little over 6 whole hours of productive studying. Which is great. If I were studying at home I'd be reading for 15 minutes, walking out for water 5 minutes, checking random webpages and how fast my downloads are on Azureus 15 minutes, reading for another 30 minutes, watching TV for 30 minutes.. you get the picture. I'm so undisciplined that it's quite disgusting. It takes me near to 3 hours for the trip to school and back, but I think it's worth it for the amount of studying I can get done; not to mention I can read Baby Robbins on the MRT and bus and reinforce the stuff I just read in school. A bit mad, but it works.

When I get home it's another matter altogether; I keep telling myself I should also study when I get home, but I end up watching anime on the computer and not studying the whole night. In a way, I'm studying more than I would, and I'm also playing more than I should. It's a nice arrangement, and keeps me sane. I just hope at the end of the day the stuff I study get retained.

Suddenly I realise it really isn't all that difficult to study pathology. Every condition that I read reminds me of some patient I clerked or saw during one of my clinical postings (well, at least for the more common and important conditions), so it sort of all ties in together, and complications are easy to remember when you've already regurgitated them for your clinical tutors during postings. All my bad memories of patho come from trying to remember something that didn't come naturally, and it didn't come naturally because we hadn't seen patients and correlated the patho to their presentation. It shows the merit of doing patho during clinical postings, but I guess I wouldn't want to be burdened with patho lectures when I'm busy with my postings.


Anyway, enough of me rambling on and on about studying; quite boring, it does become. But then, what else do I have to blog?

Watched episodes 5 and 6 of Heroes at Darryl's house on Tuesday as WM, JC and I were there playing mahjong (as a delayed post-O&G fun kind of thing), and boy, do I love Masi Oka (the guy who plays Hiro Nakamura) more and more. He's so cute! And I guess it's also totally refreshing to have characters on an American series converse mainly in Japanese (almost like watching Jin and Sun on Lost - I like episodes that centre on the two of them), it makes things more fresh somehow, and in part it's like I'm watching an anime. Masi Oka is really too cute for words; every expression he makes is just so naturally fanboy-ish it's totally endearing and lovable.

Can you imagine what I'll be like when the series ends and we have to wait for the next season? It hurts me to contemplate that, bleh.


Out of nowhere, I got hit by a memory out of long ago the other day. Sometime when I was in Secondary Two our Geog teacher Mrs Ong WL (or OWL for short, as she told us) let us listen to a song, which I could possibly call a "modern pop" song, the lyrics of which centred around environmentalism and other geog-associated issues (why else would we be listening to it during Geog lesson?). It was a great song, and the memory suddenly came back to me the other day when I heard strains of another song that reminded me of this one. I went to ask Zf if he remembered it, and turns out he does haha. Amazing what our memories hold sometimes. Maybe someone else reading this blog might remember his geog teacher playing it to him too, heh.

The song is Saltwater, by Julian Lennon. I've posted the lyrics below. It sounds quite Beatles-ish, and Julian Lennon is apparently the son of John Lennon. Hmm.

Saltwater by Julian Lennon

  We are a rock revolving
  Around a golden sun
  We are a billion children rolled into one
  So when I hear about the hole in the sky
  Saltwater wells in my eyes

  We climb the highest mountain
  We'll make the desert bloom
  We're so ingenious we can walk on the moon
  But when I hear of how the forest have died
  Saltwater wells in my eyes

    I have lived for love
    But now that's not enough
    For the world I love is dying And now I'm crying
    And time is not a friend (no friend of mine)
    As friends we're out of time
    And it's slowly passing by ....right before our eyes

  We light the deepest ocean
  Send photographs of Mars
  We're so enchanted by how clever we are
  Why should one baby feel so hungry she cries
  Saltwater wells in my eyes

    I have lived for love
    But now that's not enough
    For the world I love is dying And now I'm crying
    And time is not a friend (no friend of mine)
    As friends we're out of time
    And it's slowly passing by ....right before our eyes

  We are a rock revolving
  Around a golden sun
  We are a billion children rolled into one
  What will I think of me the day that I die
  Saltwater wells in my eyes
  Saltwater wells in my eyes

If anyone wants it, ask me on MSN. But I doubt anyone will.

I dread to think what will happen to my studying schedule during the weekend. Sigh. Must not be lazy!

Avaris / 3/02/2007 08:56:00 PM

0 consumed