CONSUMED. by avaris
Some men make fortunes, but not to enjoy them; for, consumed by avarice, they live to make fortunes

[ about ]

"Tout le monde voit, peu de personnes savent observer - All the world sees, but few truly observe"



[ gallery ]

Shoot for the Future

My Flickr Photos



[ links ]

Sinfest
MIMS Online
UpToDate
It's A Zoo Out There
Mr Wang Says So
theonlinecitizen
Yawning Bread



[ friends' blogs ]

13 hours to love
alvin
belinda
CG
cheesie
cover me in ashes
elpis
gfmozart
jack
jiabin
jonnybaby
lvacation
mezza
plhu
raphael
raymond
w33mz
xiuling
xueling



[ archives ]


September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
September 2008
November 2008
January 2009
February 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
September 2010
October 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
November 2011
December 2011
April 2012
June 2012
July 2012
February 2014
June 2014
July 2014
October 2014
December 2014
March 2015
June 2015
October 2015
December 2015
March 2016




[ current read ]

The Emperor of All Maladies
A Biography of Cancer

(Siddharta Mukherjee)




[ current anime ]

---


Monday, April 09, 2007

And none but fools do wear it; cast it off

It's been a really long time since I last posted something, my apologies, as always. I'm going to backpost things that happened during the break so if you're interested I guess you could go through the past entries to read them. A bit late of me to do that now, I know, but better late than never, goes the cliched excuse.

I think I can say the break was a pretty good one for me as breaks go: I didn't fall sick, I didn't get all depressed and moody, I managed to finish a good amount of anime and series watching as well as book reading, went out a fair bit to interesting places, ate nice food, and in summary enjoyed myself quite well without feeling like I wasted any part of my break on things I didn't feel like doing, or end the break not having done things I really wanted to do. How I wish all breaks were like that. Things I didn't like about the break: primarily that I put on a considerable amount of visible weight in terms of abdominal fat, woe (I refuse to weigh myself). That's what happens when you eat and sleep and eat and sleep, slouch around all day, and also add two buffets to the dietary excess. Sigh. I find it totally strange that I keep agonising about my weight gain, but refuse to exercise. I'm probably the worst kind of person to persuade to adopt regular exercise.


Even though I'm not as moody this break I still spent some time brooding over certain issues. Somehow I couldn't help feeling a strange sense of envy reading other people's blogs or watching people's nicks change on MSN and see them having fun of their own during the break, in their own happy worlds. I just couldn't explain why I kept feeling this way, and it makes one feel rather wretched. Then, some things I read got me to come to the conclusion that I was just being stupid, that it was ridiculous for me to be envious of others when I have nothing to be envious about. Was I not enjoying myself during the break? I was, most certainly, doing the things I wanted to do, doing them mostly alone, granted, but still having a good time, and feeling content, in the process. So what if other people had their own fun that I wasn't a part of, wasn't I also enjoying happiness that other people weren't a part of?

Envy is a terrible thing, a toxic feeling that only makes you see the differences between others and yourself, but never the similarities. After coming to that realisation I finally began to cast aside the melancholy, to truly realise I had happiness in front of me but was giving it up in the unrealistic yearning of another's happiness, not knowing how fortunate I was, how content I could already be. Humans are a weird bunch, we are. And, amusingly, I was possessed a sudden bout of, shall we call it self-determinism, to shape this break into a time of my own joy instead of waiting for others to include me in theirs. That makes me sound bitter but I'm not, I guess I was just getting so tired of expecting things to fall from the sky; sometimes we just have to shake things a bit if we want them to happen, but also not shake them too hard or risk a backlash. Oops getting cryptic here.

I shall stop here and not go into more cryptic babble otherwise everyone will fall asleep.


Electives started today; I'm doing Internal Medicine at SGH (my favourite hospital) and I guess it was as good a first day as any. We got a bit of a surprise in the morning when we met our tutor and he told us we didn't have to follow ward rounds. Mornings kind of feel rather empty without ward rounds, and though most people feel they don't learn much from ward rounds I find that there are always the odd pearls that pop up while looking at every patient in the ward. Perhaps not the best investment of time and energy for the yield one gets, but I kind of like just following the doctors around and watching what they do - it gives me kind of a feel of how everything works and how physicians think. Anyway it turns out our tutor just doesn't think we would learn much today because he was rushing through rounds to make it to morning clinics; he suggested we join on Thursdays and Fridays when he doesn't have clinics.

There was this overwhelming feeling that it had really been a very long time since either of us had done any adult medicine, and I had totally forgotten most of my physical examination techniques and how to take a history, so we retreated to the student's lounge to read up on those things in preparation for the afternoon tutorial. In the end I just read briefly the examination steps and lazed around talking to other people in the lounge. We tried going to clerk a patient in the wards but finding him asleep decided to go for lunch instead. We clerked him in the end, just before tutorial, and our tutor also wanted to use him as a short case for us so we proceeded to do the physical examination. Infective endocarditis, something I've not really seen before. I think my medicine posting at ann-you-h was so woefully inadequate when it comes to so many things, sigh. Thank goodness for SGH teaching.

Oh by the way, look what I saw on the way to school in the morning:



I'd like to think of it as a good sign for the weeks ahead heh. 4 more weeks of fun medicine, hopefully it doesn't get too boring.

Avaris / 4/09/2007 09:41:00 PM

0 consumed