Thursday, April 26, 2007
Food, talk, and movies (all you need to keep me happy)
Met up with H and WM yesterday for dinner, at Crystal Jade La Mian Xiao Long Bao (a boring dinner choice, but I haven't been there in a long while, and the xiao long bao is still fantastic). It was great catching up after 3 weeks of doing our electives in 3 different hospitals - me in SGH, WM in AH, and H in NUH. We shared juicy gossip, talked about the interesting stuff we've experienced in our electives, and had lots of fun (at least I did). Wonder if it's going to be like this when we start working, except we probably won't be as free to go to town for dinner. Heh.
My dan-dan mian (what a lame excuse for photo-blogging)

H and WM looking sweet together :P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Watched
Love and Honour today (Jap title
武士の一分).

I know the title is spelt Love and Honor on that poster, but just indulge me for a bit and let me use the British spelling.
As I mentioned before the movie's only screening at Golden Village Vivocity (Cinema Europa) and Plaza Singapura; I went to the Vivocity one because the times at PS weren't convenient. It turns out the tickets for Cinema Europa (a small but very comfortable 110-seat theatre) are 10 bucks each but you can get a student discount on weekdays that make them 8 dollars. Only one dollar more than I would have paid for a conventional ticket at that time, so I didn't mind. Anyway the movie was, in my opinion, worth every cent.
Yes, I'm going to gush about Takuya Kimura, as you can expect. He was
so good. Brilliant. (I'm quite sure I'm biased in my assessment of his acting but I don't care) And the female lead Rei Dan is also excellent in her role as the wife who is willing to give up everything to protect the dignity of her husband who has gone blind. Not to mention she's got this beauty that makes her look like she stepped out of the last century. There are many light-hearted moments in the movie also, thanks to the role of Tokuhei, the valet of Takuya's character. It's a very simple movie, quiet, with amazing background music. And I really like listening to the Japanese of these period dramas, where all the sentences are worded in 尊敬語 and 謙虚語, and sound so liltingly beautiful. Makes me wish I was living in just such a time and place.
I also caught the trailer for the upcoming Transformers movie, but somehow it wasn't as exciting as I had expected it to be. Too dark to see the Transformers in any great detail, the sequences that showed the robots were too short, and there was too much meaningless booming (there's emphatic effect, and then there's just noise). I have a feeling this movie isn't going to be too great.
Avaris / 4/26/2007 09:41:00 PM
0 consumed