CONSUMED. by avaris
Some men make fortunes, but not to enjoy them; for, consumed by avarice, they live to make fortunes

[ about ]

"Tout le monde voit, peu de personnes savent observer - All the world sees, but few truly observe"



[ gallery ]

Shoot for the Future

My Flickr Photos



[ links ]

Sinfest
MIMS Online
UpToDate
It's A Zoo Out There
Mr Wang Says So
theonlinecitizen
Yawning Bread



[ friends' blogs ]

13 hours to love
alvin
belinda
CG
cheesie
cover me in ashes
elpis
gfmozart
jack
jiabin
jonnybaby
lvacation
mezza
plhu
raphael
raymond
w33mz
xiuling
xueling



[ archives ]


September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
September 2008
November 2008
January 2009
February 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
September 2010
October 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
November 2011
December 2011
April 2012
June 2012
July 2012
February 2014
June 2014
July 2014
October 2014
December 2014
March 2015
June 2015
October 2015
December 2015
March 2016




[ current read ]

The Emperor of All Maladies
A Biography of Cancer

(Siddharta Mukherjee)




[ current anime ]

---


Sunday, May 06, 2007

Sweet Sunday (photoblogging madness)

(Edited 8 May - made the pictures smaller so it's easier to read; also set up my own Flickr account to upload pics on. Hopefully there'll be more to come haha.)

Went out with Dad and Mom in the afternoon today to eat various stuff. We were sitting around at home until about 3pm without lunch, due to a heavy breakfast of fried beehoon made by Mom, when we started feeling hungry and decided to head out.

First had a late lunch at Geylang at a coffee shop selling yun tun mian (or wanton noodles, the raunchier name :P); apparently Mom is childhood friends with the sisters who own the coffee shop and she talked with them a lot. The noodles were pretty good, and they have those Channel U foodie show posters stuck on the shopfront so I guess other people think so too, heh.

Then we took a bus down to Bugis because I wanted to check out a dessert store at Liang Seah Street that was featured on a Channel 5 show called Sweets for my Sweet (the most delightful show on local television for showcasing delectable dessert stores across Singapore every week, and making me develop a horrible sweet tooth).

First we stopped at the nearby Parkview Square (that Gotham-looking building) to take a curious look around because we've never been in, and I took pictures like a wide-eyed tourist. Haha. The architecture is quite amazing, though admittedly a little over-the-top in places. The photos turned out real nice because the sun was setting and illuminated the entire front plaza really brilliantly. For the same reason, though, I couldn't take pictures in any direction facing the sun.



Four pseudo-bronze statues (they were hollow and plasticky to percussion lol) of Sun Yat Sen, Churchill, Lincoln and Plato.


Finally got to Liang Seah street, and went into this dessert store called 记得吃 which was, as it turns out, the wrong store (I forgot the name of the store we were looking for, and there were two stores along the road!), but we only realised that after leaving and seeing the other store. Anyway I got the mango with grapefruit (it was more like pomelo actually) while Dad got mango with hashima (雪哈) and Mom got her favourite peanut paste.



My mango with pomelo was pretty good stuff, the mango is thick and sweet with that oh-so-wonderful mango twang (I totally can't describe it), and the pomelo pips burst in the mouth with a refreshing bitter taste, adding an interesting contrast to the mango. There was also sago, and juicy chunks of fresh sweet mango. Yummy! Haha. I kind of regretted mixing the ice in halfway through the dessert as it diluted the taste of the mango a lot.

Since we discovered it was a different store we had intended to go to, I wanted to go back to that store later in the evening, after we had done some shopping at Bugis Junction (the Seiyu store got bought over by some China company called BHG - how difficult to pronounce).

The store is called Ah Chew's Dessert, and they have a greater choice of desserts as compared to the other store. Dad got the gingko, barley and beancurd dessert (白果薏米腐竹) while Mom got the papaya with white fungus (冰糖雪耳木瓜). I wanted the Hong Kong style ice red bean (港式红豆冰) but they were out of it so I had to get something else where there was nothing on the menu I was interested in. I had the red bean with lotus bulb (莲花红豆沙) in the end.


My red bean (looks like swill, hee); Dad's 白果薏米腐竹; Mom's 冰糖雪耳木瓜


The red bean that I had wasn't too bad, though it was more sour than sweet with the taste of the lotus bulb and the dried orange peel that they mixed in with it. I was a little disappointed, but I think I'll go back to try the iced red bean one day. Dad and Mom said the desserts here were a little too sweet for their tastes and they preferred the other store.

I treated at both stores because it was for Mom's birthday. So arbitrary lol.

Avaris / 5/06/2007 10:45:00 PM

0 consumed