CONSUMED. by avaris
Some men make fortunes, but not to enjoy them; for, consumed by avarice, they live to make fortunes

[ about ]

"Tout le monde voit, peu de personnes savent observer - All the world sees, but few truly observe"



[ gallery ]

Shoot for the Future

My Flickr Photos



[ links ]

Sinfest
MIMS Online
UpToDate
It's A Zoo Out There
Mr Wang Says So
theonlinecitizen
Yawning Bread



[ friends' blogs ]

13 hours to love
alvin
belinda
CG
cheesie
cover me in ashes
elpis
gfmozart
jack
jiabin
jonnybaby
lvacation
mezza
plhu
raphael
raymond
w33mz
xiuling
xueling



[ archives ]


September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
September 2008
November 2008
January 2009
February 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
September 2010
October 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
November 2011
December 2011
April 2012
June 2012
July 2012
February 2014
June 2014
July 2014
October 2014
December 2014
March 2015
June 2015
October 2015
December 2015
March 2016




[ current read ]

The Emperor of All Maladies
A Biography of Cancer

(Siddharta Mukherjee)




[ current anime ]

---


Tuesday, July 31, 2007

You wouldn't be surprised if I told you this is another Potter post

More Harry Potter-related information and such, because the continuing revelations that J.K. Rowling is dispensing on the Potterverse is really too tantalising not to pass on to other fans like me, haha. Yes, plhu, I am so not studying this break >_<.

JKR had a webchat with fans, the transcript of which you can see here or here (the former link on LiveJournal is easier to read than the The Leaky Cauldron link). Some important revelations that I appreciated (originally wanted to blank the words out again, but actually I don't see much point, so I'm just going to leave it as it is):

[spoiler alert, so yes, don't blame me for spoiling you]

1.J.K. Rowling: Ron joined George at Weasleys’ Wizarding Wheezes, which became an enormous money-spinner..

J.K. Rowling: After a few years as a celebrated player for the Holyhead Harpies, Ginny retired to have her family and to become the Senior Quidditch correspondent at the Daily Prophet!


---- this answers the question of what Ginny did, but I somehow expected her to also be in the Ministry rather than play Quidditch. And as for Ron, JKR previously said he became an Auror, but here she says he joined George, which is strange. Hopefully she'll clarify someday soon.


2. Laura Trego: Was the absence of snapes portrait in the headmasters office in the last scene innocent or deliberate

J.K. Rowling: It was deliberate. Snape had effectively abandoned his post before dying, so he had not merited inclusion in these august circles.

J.K. Rowling: However, I like to think that Harry would be instrumental in ensuring that Snape’s portrait would appear there in due course.


---- this also covers the point about whether there will be a portrait of Snape in the Headmaster's Office. Somehow I don't think it would be the same, though, Harry getting them to put up a portrait, as opposed to a portrait magically appearing in the office with the departure of the headmaster. Just - different.


3. Su: How did neville get the gryfindor sword, is there a link to the hat

J.K. Rowling: Yes, there is very definitely a link to the hat!

J.K. Rowling: Neville, most worthy Gryffindor, asked for help just as Harry did in the Chamber of secrets, and Gryffindor’s sword was transported into Gryffindor’s old hat

J.K. Rowling: – the Sorting Hat was Gryffindor’s initially, as you know.

J.K. Rowling: Griphook was wrong – Gryffindor did not ‘steal’ the sword, not unless you are a goblin fanatic and believe that all goblin-made objects really belong to the maker.


---- interesting, because I was kind of curious as to how the sword came out of the hat, though it has happened before, certainly.


4. Smallbutpowerful: On behalf of all harry potter fans who consider themselves to be hufflepuffs could you please describe the hufflepuff common room as it is the only common room harry hasn’t visited

J.K. Rowling: The Hufflepuff common room is accessed through a portrait near the kitchens, as I am sure you have deduced.

J.K. Rowling: Sorry – I should say ‘painting’ rather than portrait, because it is a still-life.

J.K. Rowling: It is a very cosy and welcoming place, as dissimilar as possible from Snape’s dungeon. Lots of yellow hangings, and fat armchairs, and little underground tunnels leading to the dormitories, all of which have perfectly round doors, like barrel tops.


---- oooh this was the revelation I loved most, because I've been longing to find out what the Hufflepuff common room looks like. It sounds like a very down-to-earth (literally haha) place, and cozy. The design makes me think of the Shire in LOTR, since the round doors are reminiscent of hobbit houses heh.


5. Jaclyn: Did lily ever have feelings back for snape

J.K. Rowling: Yes. She might even have grown to love him romantically (she certainly loved him as a friend) if he had not loved Dark Magic so much, and been drawn to such loathesome people and acts.

Nithya: Lily detested mulciber,averyif snape really loved her,why didnt he sacrifice their company for her sake

J.K. Rowling: Well, that is Snape’s tragedy. Given his time over again he would not have become a Death Eater, but like many insecure, vulnerable people (like Wormtail) he craved membership of something big and powerful, something impressive.

J.K. Rowling: He wanted Lily and he wanted Mulciber too. He never really understood Lily’s aversion; he was so blinded by his attraction to the dark side he thought she would find him impressive if he became a real Death Eater.


---- the sadness of Snape is that he was so deluded that he thought joining the Death Eaters would impress her when they are obviously pledged to eliminate Muggle-borns like her. Sigh.


6. Karin: What did petunia wanted to say to hary at the end of the dursleys departing

J.K. Rowling: I think that for one moment she trembled on the verge of wishing Harry luck; that she almost acknowledged that her loathing of his world, and of him, was born out of jealousy.

J.K. Rowling: But she couldn’t do it; years of pretending that ‘normal’ was best had hardened her too much.


---- Yet another question I wanted answered, and I guess it wasn't all that spectacular an answer, though logical.


7. Vio91: Is teddy lupin a werewolf

J.K. Rowling: No, he’s a Metamorphmagus like his mother


----- thank goodness, can't imagine if he'd lost his parents and were a werewolf.



And another link here, where JKR talks about yet more Potter stuff, on MSNBC. Not too major revelations though, so I won't copy them here; there's a little bit on how Harry came to [spoiler] be the owner of the Elder Wand, [/spoiler] which is mildly enlightening.


And a quiz on which character in the series I'm most like, from plhu; I guess from the description I'm a little bit like Ron la, but I'm still disappointed I didn't get Snape woe.

You scored as Ron Weasley, You often feel like second best and as a result don't have an awful lot of self confidence, but a truer more capable friend would be hard to find.

Ron Weasley

80%

Severus Snape

70%

Sirius Black

65%

Harry Potter

60%

Remus Lupin

55%

Hermione Granger

55%

Lord Voldemort

50%

Draco Malfoy

45%

Albus Dumbledore

45%

Ginny Weasley

45%

Your Harry Potter Alter Ego Is...?
created with QuizFarm.com

Avaris / 7/31/2007 11:18:00 PM

0 consumed