Saturday, December 08, 2007
De stalk er com es af ter de stem
Unfortunately I am unable to upload my foodie photos as promised because my photos are inside my phone and the USB cable I need to transfer the photos to my computer has been lent out together with my portable hard drive and will only return to me on Monday. An oversight on my part, to not transfer the photos before lending the drive out. Oh well.
Will blog about something weirder - actually I don't know if it's entirely appropriate to write about this subject, but when have you known me to shy away from controversial topics? Where to start? It's to do with three strange letters that I received, between October and November; I've told some close friends about these letters and also shown it to them, and I call them the "stalker letters".
Interested yet?
I can't quite remember when the first letter arrived, but the postmark on the envelope says 2 October (my birthday! *shudders*). The sender claims to be my primary school classmate, who got my address from an entry I wrote in her (I'm assuming it's a her because of her name which sounds like a girl's name), but I have absolutely no recollection of this person so I kind of ignored the letter. Also, a little bit of background is that I moved house in secondary school when my parents bought the 4-room flat next door (our old flat was a 3-room flat), so the letter actually ended up in my current neighbour's letter box; he doesn't know my name, so my mom actually found the letter sitting on top of the letterboxes at the void deck. You can see the letter
here, I scanned it heh.
Anyway because I couldn't remember the person I didn't think of answering the letter (rather bad of me, I know, but it's also a bit weird to answer letters to people you can't remember right?). And I thought that would be the end of it.
Sometime near the end of October my mom found the
second letter on top of the letterboxes. The contents of the letter were slightly more disturbing this time, and the weirdest thing was that my name and address were written directly on the back of the letter paper (what looks like yellowed foolscap paper), with no stamp. Which means she came all the way to my block to deposit it, either in my neighbour's mailbox again (with my neighbour throwing it on the top of the letterboxes) or on top of the letterboxes. Considering she lives near my primary school (a fifteen minute bus ride and five minute walk away) it's quite a long distance to come to deposit a letter in a mailbox. And when someone writes "...I misses you very much. When I walked along the streets, I hope to meet you..." it's just a bit off.
I continued to ignore the letters (in that weird way that you think ignoring something bad will just make it go away).
Less than 2 weeks after the second letter, on 10 November, my dad found the
third letter.
It was placed on the staircase railing on our storey, weighed down by an empty soft drink can.
My mom sinisterly whispered that the girl had most probably been standing at the staircase landing, slowly drinking from the can and waiting for me to return home, before leaving the letter and empty can behind. That's the kind of thought that gives you a strange turn. On that day I was post-call and had gone to Raffles City Convention Centre for the NHG annual scientific congress after leaving hospital, so I only got home at 5 plus and I didn't see anyone at the staircase landing. I didn't notice the letter either, but I could have missed it since I was rather zonked out.
The place where the letter was found was not the only creepy thing about the third letter. The contents brought things to a whole new level, and you just have to read it to believe it. From the tone of writing I have considerable difficulty believing that the writer is a person of sound mind, and I got goosebumps from reading it. She invited me to a meeting at the bus-stop near her apartment block on the next day at 12 noon, but naturally I didn't go; I had to attend the NHG ASC, but even if I had nothing on that day I don't think I would have dared go meet her.
Honestly, I don't know whether to be amused or alarmed by the whole matter, but more creeped out than amused. I checked with one of my primary school classmates about whether she could remember this person, but she had no recollection either. And I tried looking for my primary school class photos but couldn't find any. All of this makes me wonder very much who this person is, only that I have absolutely no intention of meeting her, and hope I never will, not if meeting her means coming home one day to find her at my doorstep.
It doesn't help that my mom tells me she occasionally sees a twenty-something girl standing at a staircase landing in the opposite block staring towards ours.
Why in the world do these unbelievably weird things happen to me?
Avaris / 12/08/2007 10:40:00 PM
0 consumed