Saturday, December 15, 2007
A life of pie, and other goodies
Okay second foodie post. I seem to be spending a lot more time on the computer than I should be reading, which is a horrible thing. I hate my computer but I can't live without it.
Recently I found out about this cake shop in Katong Shopping Centre after it was featured on Makansutra Raw - it's called Dona Manis Cake Shop and it actually doesn't really sell cakes but pies and other pastries like eclairs, scones and tarts. The pies are really to die for, even though each slice costs a hefty two dollars (I'm not sure how much they sell pies in other places so maybe two bucks a slice is considered reasonable heh), but the delight to the taste buds is definitely worth the price.

The storefront on the first storey of the shopping centre / A box of three apple and two banana pies
The banana and apple pies are the highlights of the store's myriad offerings, in my opinion. The former is lusciously filled with banana slices that are soft and creamy, but not mushy so you can feel each individual slice with its gentle give as you bite into the pie; the slices are intermingled with coconut flakes, strangely, but they provide added texture with that fibrous crunch of coconut, and the light aroma of coconut is barely perceptible among the banana's unique light sweetness. The crust is also glorious, so lightly flaky and yet rich with buttery goodness; it crumbles ever so easily into nothingness in your mouth. The apple pie is similarly endowed with a thin, flaky crust, and hides within it slices of apple among a white colloid-like (I just couldn't think of any other way to describe it) filling, the identity and contents of which I can't quite figure out. The sweet soft filling and lightly tart, soft apple slices go wonderfully together, and of course the crust is the icing on the cake, so to speak.
Apologies that the pies look tinged with a weird shade of blue; I think the white balance of my phone camera was a little off.
I usually don't go to Katong Shopping Centre except if I have books or notes to photocopy (the place is one of those bases of multiple photocopying shops) but recently I've been looking for reasons to pop by there, like thinking of things to print or photocopy, so I can pop by and buy those wonderful pies. They sell out pretty fast so it's important to get there early in the afternoon or you'll be disappointed, which happened to me once.
I have yet to try their other creations such as the eclairs, raisin scones, chocolate tarts, and rum balls, among others, so I'm hoping to make another visit to Dona Manis soon. ^__^ <-- glutton
~~~~~~~~~
This week has been quite good to me; it seems Christmas has arrived early for your truly because a couple of things I ordered/bought arrived. Firstly the Code Geass calendar I ordered two months ago - I went to KKnM to collect it on Wednesday. It was a bit of a disappointment because I hoped the calendar would be the kind where the dates are presented in squares on a grid so you can write little notes in each square, much like a organiser of sorts, but the Code Geass calendar has its dates in a single line on the bottom of a huge picture, so the only way I can write stuff is to circle dates and write tinily above them. I knew I was taking a risk ordering it because the store people had no idea what the calendar would look like either, but I quite like it anyway, the pictures are lovely.
Also, the two Threadless T-shirts I ordered (plhu was very kind to take a bulk order for people who wanted to buy Threadless tees because they were having a sale, with each tee going at only US$10) came as well, and I received them from plhu on Thursday. They're not my absolutely favourite designs on the site (all the ones I loved weren't available) but they're still very nice and I sorely need more tees to wear because I haven't been buying new ones in ages. They're quite cheap also, coming up to slightly less than 20 dollars Sing with shipping and all.
Yay, I'm a happy squeeing little boy. Heh.
Avaris / 12/15/2007 01:59:00 PM
0 consumed