Saturday, May 03, 2008
Work is the mind-killer
I'm going to quickly scribble some stuff here before I slump over in exhaustion in front of the computer. XD
Well, work's started and it's been quite a steep learning curve so far. I must say I'm very very thankful for having a HO-going-on-MO from our senior batch still on my team to help guide me through the important things to look out for especially in Renal Med, without her help I think I'd be panicking a lot. I think it's really difficult to break out of the EssEyePea mentality where you can get your HO to vet everything you do, and anything you don't know you can just call the HO to bail you out. Now it's not so easy, you can't just call your MO for everything, and whatever you do has is your own responsibility. I kept asking my HO to check all my discharge summaries yesterday and I think she was quite bemused, gently suggesting to me that I could just sign all of them without really getting her to vet. But still. I am quite insecure. Every time I sign my name I feel the weight of cosmic forces that could get thrown into disarray by wanton irresponsibility. Haha.
Things have been really busy - lots of discharges, changes, etc. Just when you think you have done everything and can take a short breather, the phone starts ringing. I'm starting to dislike the phone. Went home quite late yesterday and today but I guess that's part of the starting process, and it's not even like I stayed behind to do a lot more than I really had to.
My thoughts are starting to get a little random haha, maybe I should stop soon.
Some of the holiday to-do's are carrying over into these few days; I have just a bit more of the last book of Stephen Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant to finish - it's a really superb series, the best I've read in a long time. It's about a guy from our world, with leprosy, who somehow gets summoned into a fantasy world and is seen as a saviour there, and has to grapple with this change in circumstances. Sounds really simple and not very exciting but the author is really magnificent in his writing. A lot of the time it's a bit too complex for me to understand very well, especially when the author delves into the main character's dilemmas and inner conflicts, but the plot runs brilliantly with very nice prose and use of interesting vocabulary (in an artistic way, not the bad way) and some parts just grip you and refuse to let you go. At times it's like Lord of the Rings though, in the way the characters travel interminably to get to some destination and for pages on end it's all about them being miserable and hungry and hiding. Bleah. But the exciting parts more than make up for it. I really want to finish it soon but I'm just too tired to read very much without nodding off.
I think that's about all from me for now. On call tomorrow! It's scary that my first call has to be a 24 hour-long one, so wish me tonnes of luck, and I hope I don't kill anyone. Fingers crossed.
Avaris / 5/03/2008 10:16:00 PM
0 consumed